5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl With A Clock For a Heart - Enjoyable Reading Time
Well the blurb on this one caught my eye, a man sees a picture of former girlfriend even though she was meant to be dead, Right away it grabbed my attention thinking it to be a read I would enjoy.

Published 16 months ago by Alessi Lover

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight but reasonably entertaining
I'm not surprised that the film rights for this novel have been sold. It has that feel about it; rather lightweight but with screen possibilities.
Published 16 months ago by Penny Waugh

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight but reasonably entertaining, 2 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The premise is interesting. Boy falls in love with girl at college, is devastated when he finds she has committed suicide and even more devastated when he finds out the dead girl is not the one he loved. After twenty years he sees her in a pub, and of course cannot leave well alone.
George is an innocent - unkind to call him a complete fool, but Liana rapidly twists him round her finger and he performs for her, for most of the book thinking the best of her in spite of mounting evidence. What he gets up to often seems out of character and indeed his motives seem more plot than character driven.
The rather contrived ending leaves room for further flights of fancy by George. I really don't think I want to know about them.
This was a quick read, and entertaining enough given the mounting implausibilities. I think, given the germ of the story, that it could have been a lot better.

3.0 out of 5 stars didn't quite do it for me, 3 Nov. 2014
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Girl With A Clock For A Heart' - sounds intriguing, right?
I thought so, and anticipated reading it with some enthusiasm. At first, as the story began to unfold, I thought I'd found another 'Gone Girl', or something as compelling. Unfortunately, this was not the case. The story never really gels for me, the 'flow' seems to be missing. It is an easy, enjoyable read, but I think it could have been so much more. All the components are there, and the plot line IS intriguing, but I wanted more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tick tock, 15 April 2014
Laura T (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A girl? With a clock for a heart? Its fantastic fairy-tale-esque title is pretty much the only thing this poorly-written debut thriller has going for it - and even then, the phrase is dropped into the book and then forgotten, as if the author thought of a good title then realised that his story didn't really fit it. George, our supremely boring and dim protagonist, has never forgotten Liana Dexter, his college girlfriend who faked her own death and disappeared. When Liana comes back into his life, he is drawn into her machinations against his better judgement. But who is Liana and what does she really want?

The Girl With A Clock For A Heart seems to be striving to be the next Gone Girl, but it's really not of that calibre. Firstly, it's not remotely well-written. The prose is plodding and weak, and the cliffhanger endings used in several chapters pretty cliched. The overall concept is also nothing new, and many of the situations that George gets himself into are fairly unbelievable. The climax of the novel, in particular, reads like a trashy Hollywood blockbuster. Liana is supposed to be alluring and addictive, but Peter Swanson fails to convey what's so unusual about her, and especially why George would risk his life for her after all these years.

So why two stars rather than one? The early scenes with George and Liana at college are rather more readable, as is his unravelling, as a teenager, of the initial mystery that surrounds her. I was unsurprised to read that this was the original seed for the novel, and that Swanson was persuaded to 'flash forwards' and tell a story about these two characters decades later - a decision that I don't think works. The first third of the novel was relatively enjoyable, before it all began to disintegrate. Nevertheless, I won't be reading anything else by Swanson, and I do think this is a waste of a brilliant title.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl With A Clock For a Heart - Enjoyable Reading Time, 31 Mar. 2014
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I did, it was an easy read, poor George already knowing that Lianna has been responsible for things in the past but not wanting to accept the fact that she was supposed to have committed suicide. Maybe if he had not seen the photo he would not now be in the situation that story weaves. Lots of things that I would not have expected to happen but glad they did as it made the story more enjoyable and entertaining.

In two time frames, George looking and seeing an almost double of his late girl friend but not sure what to believe. I really enjoyed the clear cut easy style of writing as it seemed to flow easily and I felt as though you could almost bond with George.

Not an author I have read any books by before so glad to have had the chance to read this one courtesy of the Vine programme as may not have been aware of them and missed out on a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars noir nouveau, 6 Aug. 2014
David Spanswick (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The plot for this exciting debut thriller could have been culled from the back pages of a Chandler file ~ it is almost pure 1940s and retro rather than dated. It even has a voice over quality though not a story told in the first person. The flashbacks are pure ambiguous cinema and even the names Audrey/Liana/Jane (Doe) could have stepped out of a Hammett novel. Even George's cat is called Nora!!

Barbara Stanwick would be my first choice for the enigmatic central reincarnation and probably Bill Powell or Jimmy Stewart for the luckless, love lorn George who is stranded by coincidence to make some very dodgy moves. The baddies, all suited thugs with broken noses are as charmless as the villains from John D Macdonald's oeuvre.....

... and because of all these delicious borrowings and references I truly loved the book in that really old fashioned want to find out what happened sensation that is far too rare in modern police procedurals that ape too much from the telly
Even the title is nostalgic for the days of "pulp" magazines who would dare put "girl" in the title unless they were honouring a past age

Well done Peter Swanson you have evoked a genre often imitated but so rarely executed in the way you have with "The Girl With a Clock for a Heart. Highly recommended

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 12 Mar. 2015
Kash (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't like this book. I thought it didn't go into enough detail/ background of Liana so I didn't fully understand the reasons for her actions.

Although it is easy to read there were just too many loose ends for me to enjoy the book. I know its a book of fiction but its hard to imagine anyone going to the trouble George did for this ex-girlfriend, when he was well aware of her history.

Not a keeper. I can't recommend this to anyone unfortunately

5.0 out of 5 stars A long short story...,., 29 Mar. 2015
Saturnicus "Saturnicus" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is quite short and is even classed as a short story, if I make myself clear, but it isn't. I suppose 280 pages is rather less than your average novel nowadays. However, it has left me clamouring for more.
Our hero is George Foss. He sees an old flame who he believed had committed suicide. I will go no further with the tale as it has already no doubt been well documented by other reviewers. It is a cracking good yarn which twists and turns like a twisty-turny thing. Initially George comes across as a bit thick, but as the story unfolds, he seems to just be a regular sort of guy who just likes to take the time to think and is as ordinary as the rest of us with all the same trials and emotions. There is something about him which put me in mind of Philip Marlowe, and yes George takes quite a few beatings along the way both physical and mentally.
What a pity it ended when it did as I would just love to see what came of it all.
I thought it would make a great movie and I believe that a rumour of this great event might just happen.
I wonder who they will get to play the lead?
Great story well worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a likeable lead..., 23 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
George discovers an old obssession was only lying dormant when he sees an old flame again -- two decades after she disappeared. There then follows a peculiar game of kiss-chase, with Liana leading George by the nose, through murder, frame-ups, threats by scary gangsters, etc. Liana's motives and inner workings remain undiscovered, and this opaqueness may be very much to the point: George is chasing a phantom. More than that, Liana is the lure of the strange and unknown, the most opposite of what George is and what George knows. George is chasing a mirage that is always hovering just beyond his grasp, a puzzle whose solution keeps just eluding him. Tempting as it is to conclude that George is being led by his, erm, hormones, it is also possible that Liana offers the lure of escape. The possibility of an escape from a midlife crisis can be surmised, but it is kinder to assume George wants to escape the mediocrity that his life has become. Readable, but not what I'd class as a thriller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 18 Jun. 2014
read-along-with-sue "sue" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
What a fab read! I'm a sucker for a good psychological thriller, throw in some romance and past history and you have this fabulous read.

Its been over 20 years since George saw the only girl who broke his heart. As time went on, he realised he never really knew her, just who was she this girl he had fallen head over heels in love with.

The lead up at the beginning of the book was enthralling, it kept me turning pages. If I say much about this book I would be giving a lot of it away, so I don't want to give spoilers as there are enough in some other reviews.

Just to say, I sat in the garden and read this from cover to cover this morning.

Its a bit dark in places, it has its unique form of funny moments in too I thought, thoroughly thought out and well written book.

Thank you to Faber and Faber Ltd via Net Galley for allowing me a copy to read and review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heartless Attempt, 30 Mar. 2015
This is one of those books which rests solely on its very good plot line but really fails to develop it into a smart and intriguing thriller. It reeks of the excellent Harlen Coben but fails to deliver in the style of that esteemed thriller writer. Hard to say why. There's the gripping flashback style which works really well. A lot of twists and turns.And I thought, not a bad ending. I think one of the problems is that the author is trying to get through the story too quickly. There's not enough background so it is hard to take the relationships seriously enough. This is important as George is meant to be lovestruck still after some 20 years. He does things which no normal person would do. And the author is constantly having to explain Geroge's actions. It's the sort of beach/airplane book that you do want to keep coming back to but in the end it's a bit of a dissapointment. Needs more developing.

The Girl With A Clock For A Heart
The Girl With A Clock For A Heart by Peter Swanson (Hardcover - 6 Feb. 2014)