5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect gift that you'll end up keeping for yourself.
Afterliff is the third in the Liff series started by John Lloyd and Douglas Adams and continues the good work of using carefully selected place names to define those little things in life that haven't currently got a word but deserve one.

Published 19 months ago by Chriss C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts
This book could almost be described as vanity publishing, containing as it does mostly the new "Liffs" which were submitted by the public in the run up to a programme on Radio 4 to celebrate 30 years since "The Meaning of Liff" was first published. Some of them are very funny; I particularly liked "Tildonk" for the plastic divider used on...
Published 18 months ago by Catherine Thorn

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect gift that you'll end up keeping for yourself., 2 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Afterliff (Hardcover)

This time around, contributions were sought from such luminaries as Sanjeev Bhaskar and Helen Fielding, as well as random people who just happened to be passing through (of which I am one).

It's a brilliant gift for anyone. The perfect Christmas present for maiden aunts (like me), nerds (again, me) or just the family nutter (I'm not doing myself any favours here...).

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for long dunning sessions, 18 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Afterliff (Hardcover)
Thankfully the preceding reviews give me no cause to feel mannaus. This is a book to give to the inverarish, and to give to yourself as an antidote to the jackadgery encountered during your morning commute. It is a book to enjoy in your crunwear; a copy can easily be stowed in your boffles. It is ideal pre-shimpling reading, and comes thoroughly recommended to those henglers who abhor handling fish.

I guarantee that this book contains not one espelette, and I abjure you never to let it be left in the erquery.

If you don't know what I'm babbling about, you need this book. In fact, you need it no matter what.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toilet Humour, 18 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Afterliff (Hardcover)
Like the previous Liff-booklets, this one is perfectly suited to keep a copy in your bathroom/toilet. There's nothing like hearing peals of laughter emanating from that most private of rooms (and it helps obliterate inappropriate noises, too).
The only drawback is that it can cause queues of desperate, cross-legged people...

4.0 out of 5 stars Husbands Bosworth, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Afterliff (Hardcover)
This is a worthy successor to the Deeper Meaning of Liff ( itself now reissued in hardback). Although for obvious reasons Douglas Adams is not a contributor this time around this is still a little gem of wit. Its particularly enjoyable to see definitions for nearby locations - Clent and Cleobury Mortimer in particular raise a smile. Perfect for dipping into.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious tribute to a hilarious book, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Afterliff (Hardcover)
I've been a fan of the original Meaning of Liff for years; it always seemed to me not merely a funny book, but an invitation to find words for those bizarre experiences we all share, but we can't necessarily name. My closest friends and I have been using the original Liffs, and making up our own, ever since.

In this new collection, hundreds of fans of Liffs have produced and contributed their own (I am among them) and they are assembled in this volume. I found this doubly delightful: wildly funny, but also confirmation that Liffs themselves, and the urge to create them, are an experience many of us share.

Douglas Adams (one of the original authors) was arguably a pioneer of crowd-sourcing with his h2g2 website (a crowd-sourced encyclopedia predating, but very similar in spirit to, Wikipedia) and I feel he would have loved the idea of crowd-sourced Liffs. John Lloyd and John Canter have completed and edited the collection superbly and the whole book seems a continuation of, but also a warm tribute to, the original. I recommend it to anyone who loves language, or has ever had a weird experience and wanted to find a word for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as wonderful as the first two..., 18 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Afterliff (Hardcover)
As one of the contributors I might be biased, but I really did read this one in one go, and laughed all the way through. I think we did proud by Douglas's memory and that's one of the biggest compliments I have to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those books you get for people who have everything - for Christmas., 5 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Afterliff (Hardcover)
High chortle value. The third book to recycle under-used place names as nouns for all those experiences and items that we encounter every day but don't have a name for. This is extra good value as it comes with a free sticker (that's a real sticker, not some cheap overprinting). I'd suggest keeping one in the office as a stress-reducer, or maybe by the loo to prove you can multi-task.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Aachen to Zumpango, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Afterliff (Hardcover)
This book is a most worthy successor to the original Liff books. Regularly laugh out loud funny, but at times better than that, it's endearing. In some of these Liffs you can see yourself reflected, proof that you are not alone in having a certain thought, even if prior to this book there was no name for it.

Some may argue that the quality of the Liffs has been diminished in this volume with the sad loss of Douglas Adams and the numerous crowd sourced contributions. I fervently disagree, but then again this book does include one of mine, so I'm biased.

This book would make an excellent stocking filler/gift but would serve equally well as downstairs loo reading material, a welcome distraction from the Shoeburyness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Afterliff, 27 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Afterliff (Hardcover)
This book, Afterliff, was a Christmas present. It is one of the funniest books I have ever read - and I've read tens of thousands of books in my lifetime. Its subtitle is: "the new dictionary of things there should be words for" and many of the words already exist as place names, such as Praze-an-Beeble (in Cornwall) which, according to Afterliff, means "the pair of witty signs or symbols on adjacent doors in a restaurant, which leave you unsure if you're entering the ladies or the gents". If you have a quirky sense of humour, this book is for you. I laughed till the tears ran down my face and I could only read a few entries at a time for fear of doing myself some damage!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 14 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Afterliff (Hardcover)
My husband's birthday present this year - he will love it!
We have the previous books and this one is even better!

Afterliff
Afterliff by Jon Canter (Hardcover - 15 Aug. 2013)