5.0 out of 5 stars Bennett's musical odyssey, 25 Jun. 2002
Alan Bennett takes us on a journey of discovery from childhood to early adulthood and beyond - His discovery of "proper" music, via the "wireless", gramophone and concert hall, at a time when music was still "something to be sought out" and not all around us as it is today.
Bennett tells of his own (failed) attempts at playing the violin, under the tuition of his father and the musical life of his parents. George Fenton's musical settings are sensitively realised by the excellent Medici Quartet and provide a rich backdrop to Bennett's prose. His recollections are, as ever, touching, funny, wistful and with the help of the Medicis, deeply evocative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and personal- My Bennett favourite, 6 July 2014
Alan Bennett is brilliant. My favourite line is about how you don't put yourself into your writing, but you find yourself in it. This one is funny and clever and because it's so personal it allows the reader to identify with different parts. It is a reflection on ones life and work with a lot of humour. Bennett does not take himself seriously and that makes it even more charming.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spot of Homely Fun, 20 Mar. 2013
Mr. D. James "nonsuch" (london, uk) - See all my reviews
Alan Bennett, Hymn and Cocktail Sticks: Two Recollections

The Hymn composed by George Fenton was first performed at the Harrogate Festival in 2001. This selection is prefaced by Bennett's apologia, explaining what the music means to him and reflecting on his youthful struggles as a violinist and his father's homely approach to the whole business of art, where there's no need for `a lot of carry-on, or as Dad always put it, "a lot of splother." Whether the reader is a musician or not Hymn is a useful lead into Cocktail Sticks, the typically whimsical Bennettian world of middle-class mores that exist no more.

In his introduction to Cocktail Sticks the author takes a wry look at Northern Writers and their stance towards something that used to be called `culture.' It involves of course educational achievement, a kind of alienation from family roots and a plundering of personal experience, the grubbier the better. Looking back to the Sixties he finds, `There seemed to be agreement that a working class child educated at university found it difficult thereafter to come to terms with - relate to if you like (which I didn't much) - his or her parents who looked on bewildered at this graduate cuckoo they had reared in their back-to-back nest.' In this painfully funny play Bennett shows his parents trying to reconcile their no-nonsense `working class' values with the newly `educated' offspring. There is ample scope for misunderstanding between the generations, beautifully exploited here by Bennett.

Every scene, dialogue frequently intercut with mature Bennett commentary, is alive with acute observation and an unerring ear for real speech. The reader cannot help but imagine gestures, pauses, the cringing postures of the hapless characters playing out their roles:

Mam You've been to college. You've got your cap and gown, what more credentials do you want?

AB I want a past that's a bit larger than life. I wish I'd had a harder time.

Mam We do our best, let you stay on at school and go away to college and now you're saying you wish we'd sent you out to work at sixteen. You might have been like Eric Portman. He had to work as an assistant in a gents' outfitters in Halifax. I've been in the shop many a time. He was sensitive, you could tell that.

AB Do you mean he was homosexual?

Mam I mean he was polite to his mother and didn't come out with words like that.

Here Mam typically cites people she holds up to her son as models of decent and correct behaviour; they personify her notion of having arrived, having become rich and even more important decent and famous for it. AB, like his father, understands but doesn't share Mam's urge to better herself by mixing with the right people and `doing things properly.'

Mam I wish we went out a bit more.

Dad We do go out. We go on a bus ride practically every week. Otley. Ilkley. Harrogate.

Mam I don't mean that.

Dad Well, what do you mean?

Mam I'd like to go to cafés now and then.

Dad We do go to cafés. We never go out but what we go to a café.

Mam No, I mean proper cafés - where the waiter's a man and they come up with the pepper. A café where everything doesn't have tea, bread and butter included. I was reading about these artichokes.

As ever, we find Bennett looking back on his past with a mixture of warmth and wonder. Here is the History Boy delving into the archives of his past with affection and puzzlement. Bennett is never found looking back in anger or even regret; he has always known that there's nowt so queer as folk, and finds in the domestic confusion and misapprehension inherent in his Leeds childhood the ideal terrain for his comic vision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hymn & Cocktail Sticks, 11 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Hymn and Cocktail Sticks (Paperback)
Every piece of literature I have read written by Alan Bennett is nothing short of brilliant.
Here is another of his workings - simply clever!

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 18 Jan. 2013
Having seen the plays at the National Theatre in London, this is the perfect companion to experience the true spirit of Alan Bennett.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterful performance by Alex Jennings, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Hymn and Cocktail Sticks (Paperback)
To my mind Alex perfectly captured all the nuances of our perceptions of our great playwright Alan Bennett - lost count of many of his plays I have enjoyed - most recently "People" at the National.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 10 April 2015
Mr. E. E. Gill "Edward Gill" (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
Another Alan Bennett!!

Hymn and Cocktail Sticks
Hymn and Cocktail Sticks by Alan Bennett (Paperback - 22 Nov. 2012)