4.0 out of 5 stars Portrait of the Critic as a Middle-Aged Man
This is a collection of articles Charlie Brooker wrote for the Guardian newspaper, including the last of his "Screen Burn" columns, and some scripts from his "10 O'Clock Show" and various "Wipe" shows from August 2009 to July 2012.

The first half of the book is unrelenting hilarity from one column to the next. He writes an imaginary show that would follow "Man...
Published 22 months ago by Sam Quixote

3.0 out of 5 stars "The worst thing happened to you that could happen to any fighter. Ya got civilised."
A line from Rocky III: sage advice delivered from trainer to boxer. Brooker is a journalist, not a boxer; but I doubt the line spoken to him would be that different.

I'm a Brooker fan, having bought/received all of his books at some point. (It makes you an easy person to buy for at Christmas.) I thought it was a shame You Have Been Watching only ran for two...
Published 21 months ago by Ryan Williams

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not take the advice on the cover!, 20 Jan 2014
Mr. Richard Chambers (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Can Make You Hate (Hardcover)
I stole this book and was caught, unfortunately. I'm now in court in a few weeks.

I don't recommend following Charlie's advice. Any legal advice would be appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly Venomous, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: I Can Make You Hate (Hardcover)
As with previous Charlie Brooker books a deight to read, either in one sitting or in toilet-seat sized chunks. This time not solely about mindless celebrity TV culture but also about more general everyday things to loathe. Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book to dip into, 21 July 2014
One of the few writers who makes me laugh out loud. A great book to dip into.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and amusing, 23 Jun 2013
J. Ware - See all my reviews
Charlie Brooker again uses older articles to make the perfect dip in book for your smallest room.
His surreal turn of phrase makes my rather mundane use of language to describe it seem rather,
pitiful but here goes.
I often laughed out loud at his take on modern celebrities, politicians, crisps and TV shows, sometimes looking around for people to point out particularly biting bits to. The sign of a good book as far as I am concerned.

And hats off to the man for working out how to get paid twice for the same work.
If only I could work out how to do he same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: I Can Make You Hate (Hardcover)
Every time I read this on the tube I find myself laughing out loud, trying to stifle snorts and chuckles. Buy it. Now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really., 1 Sep 2014
David (Holmfirth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Actually, you just made me sleepy.

4.0 out of 5 stars this was a gift and the recipient was pleased with it. so overall, pleased that I bought this and the price was compitive., 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: I Can Make You Hate (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars bargain, 11 Nov 2013
great book as always by Charlie Brooker, bargain at just 1.99, hope he has more books in he future. Thanks

2.0 out of 5 stars Yesterday's Chip Papers Recycled and Bound, 24 Dec 2012
David (Wigan Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Can Make You Hate (Hardcover)
Cheeky articulate vituperative. Who could even mildly dislike Charlie? The book lived up to its title when I realised it was a slice of his previously-published (and presumably well-remunerated-for) newspaper column articles, selected for their... er... er... existence(?) without any evidence of editorial review or assurance that I am not the only fool re-reading this tosh. I still like Charlie Brooker, but I feel a bit abused by this assemblage of printed material unworthy of the name "book". It gets two stars from me because it does exactly what it claims on the cover. And no more than two stars because I didn't realise I was to be the victim of the emotion. Will I ever learn to think what I am buying before I cheerily shell out hard-earned money for regurgitated pap?

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I'm too old, 2 Sep 2013
Maybe I'm too old for this. I got bored with it early on and didn't finish it. I guess if you set your brain at nil it might wash over your neurons nicely. But he doesn't have anything gripping to say and doesn't write it particularly well.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

I Can Make You Hate
I Can Make You Hate by Charlie Brooker (Paperback - 3 Oct 2013)
6.99