Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 February 2010
Being a miserable cynic myself, its rare something makes me laugh so hard that it hurts. Charlie's writing here is superb. A miserable git that loves a moan.
He tear's the unbearable media spot light into small pieces and rightly so.

The chapter about diet pills from America and how they give you toilet problems had me bent double in agony with laughter. I just emplore you to buy this book, except, reading it in public places maybe a problem as fits of hysteria WILL happen to you so be careful. The tube is a no no.
Nice one Charlie
on 10 March 2010
A collection of Charlie's Guardian Columns. If you like screenwipe, newswipe, gameswipe or any thing else Charlie has done then buy this. Most pages contain a laugh out loud moment.
on 4 June 2010
A collection of Brooker's Guardian columns- acerbic, deadpan, observational, black humour, in neat bite sized (bog reading) chunks. It made me laugh a lot.
on 30 September 2010
This book is just what you would expect from The man-the myth-the legend that is Charlie Brooker. Laugh out loud funny and very insightful (in places.) I wish Brooker would do more of a general book, less about TV and celebrity culture and more about day to day life-his experiences-philosophical outlook and the general musing's of one of the funniest writers I have ever encountered, Thanks Charlie,PS-Could we be mates?
on 7 July 2010
I've read this and also his previous 'Dawn of the Dumb' collection and they are both brilliant. Only downside for me is that I now find myself trying to avoid reading his regular columns in the Guardian, so that I don't spoil it for when his next collection comes out! (If you are not sure if this book is for you, just go to Guardian online and Brooker's archive is on there of course)
This is every bit as much fun to read as Brooker's other books of colected Screen Burn and other Guardian columns.

This one is collected from columns published in 2008/2009 and there is an extra level of fun in reading it with hindsight because you know that he got married in 2010 and now has a couple of children so those extreme and poisonous columns of how useless romance and babies are now have an extra poignancy. You read them with half your mind wondering if he will hide them from the kids when they grow up.

Two practical things to note here:
At about the 90% point, and halfway through a paragraph, when I hit the next page button I got the page that says 'now you have finished this book do you want to tweet all your friends' or something like that. If you get that, just ignore it and hit next page again. Twice. You will then continue to the last few articles of the book.

When you have actually finished the book, don't skip the index like you normally would. It is funnier than some other people's actual books.
on 6 February 2010
Charlie Brooker has a way with words. Looking back over the last few years, Charlie gives a great view of everything that had happened in his on special way. Even if you read the original articles in the Guardian, it's still worth a recap, and I swear more than a few people must have thought I was mad with my laughing on the train!
Well worth a read.
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2010
Wonderful to find someone so misanthropic he makes me look permanently cheerful. This is a collection of Brooker's columns for The Guardian including my favourite, a piece so bleak (on the subject of why everyone doesn't just go and commit suicide) that the paper wouldn't print it on a Monday morning and he wrote on on arachnophobia instead.
on 1 December 2009
Great and classic from Brooker, delightful insight and cynical empathy.

Funny and great points of view.
on 14 August 2014
These reviews of TV shows and other things that simply annoy Charlie Brooker are fantastic. A great thing to read if you just want to dive in and laugh. Although most of these are probably already available on the Gaurdians website somewhere, it is worth it to have them on your kindle.