4.0 out of 5 stars Magical, intriguing and memorable
This is a very interesting and compelling story, with some almost magical moments. I am not a big one for fantasy/mystical type stuff but this somehow crosses the boundaries for those of us who are a bit sceptical about that kind of thing.

Some of it is set at night time in the Cambridge fens, and after reading it you almost feel like you have been out there...
Published 13 months ago by Miss Fusspot

3.0 out of 5 stars Really?
Published 10 months ago by Edie

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised me, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Kindle Edition)
I'm not sure what I was expecting when I bought this little book. But it has turned out to be a lovely read, touching and beautifully written.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really?, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Paperback)
I so wanted to like this. It's nicely written and came recommended by a friend who is an expert on teen books and raved about it. It has beautiful prose and the concept of the bone dragon is gorgeous and beguiling. So perhaps it's unfair of me not to buy into the overall story. But I have worked with and know a lot of children who were brutally damaged in early childhood and then are adopted or fostered. Not one, to my knowledge, has had the glib response to this: now I'm safe with people who love me, I can love them back and separate out my anger and direct at those who deserve it. Anger doesn't work that way. I felt the central character was too saccharine and kept finding it so hard to believe in her, that I put the book down too many times and in the end abandoned it.

A magical read for anyone who doesn't care whether there's a shred of truth in such a story, but if you need magical realism to have a realism balance to the magic, you may struggle. The prose style is strong though. I'd certainly look at her next book. An author to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Kindle Edition)
This is not the type of book I usually read. (thrillers being my usual genre) However having read a review I thought that I would try it. I couldn't put it down until I'd finished it. I have recommended it it to all of my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars The bone dragon, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Kindle Edition)
This was a brilliant read. A sentimental story without the sop, a heartbreaking tale with a twist. A story of abuse and growing up without the need for voyeuristic sadism of 'A Child Called It' and the like.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly touching tale, 19 Aug 2013
K. Jobes - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Kindle Edition)
The Bone Dragon is a lovely story of Evie, a child who suffered abuse and how she heals her life with the aid of a Dragon she created from her own bone; a rib that had been broken during the abusive home life. The Dragon comes alive at night and helps Evie to appreciate her new life with her adoptive parents and to reconcile her past. A truly touching tale !

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCEPTIONAL FIRST NOVEL, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Paperback)
THIS BOOK IS TO BE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. A CROSS-OVER NOVEL IN TERMS OF AGE, IT IS WRITTEN WITH SIMPLICTY BUT INGENUITY. THE CHARACTERS ARE ALIVE AND KICKING AND - ESPECIALLY EVIE THE HEROINE - ENGAGE YOUR SYMPATHY.

DO READ IT ; AND LOOK OUT FOR HER NEXT NOVEL!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 13 April 2014
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Paperback)
In short, I would call The Bone Dragon essential reading. Although it can be slow-moving in places, the novel rewards its reader with beautiful and evocative imagery. The sequences in which Evie and the Dragon roam the Fens by moonlight are haunting and will linger with you long after you have finished reading.

The characters within the novel are also exceptionally well rounded, particularly Evie who's struggle with depression is always realistic and contains none of the typical misrepresentation of the condition that one usually sees in literature.

I have already recommended this novel to many people and will continue to do so - I think that it is one that everyone should give a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read a review, 23 Feb 2014
Mr. R. Aulton (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Paperback)
..and bought this book for my wife who enjoyed it immensely. I can't comment 'cause I didn't read it but I think the bone dragon represents the abuse the child suffered. She really felt it was a poignant and interesting novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Engaging, 17 Jan 2014
What an amazing read!

Quite often with very descriptive prose I find myself scanning the text, but not with Alexia Casale's engaging style of writing. Quite the contrary, I found myself revisiting the text because it had been so poetically written. The sort of writing that paints pictures in your mind and allows your imagination to be drawn right into the story.

The story of Evie, a teenager whom we could all learn a thing or two from when having to deal with problems. Perhaps we all also need that dragon to fight our corner and make us that bit more able to cope at times.

A story with many thought-provoking moments, sometimes touching on bullying, sometimes making us laugh, sometimes evoking feelings that we may have all suppressed. I certainly shed a tear or two during my read!

If this is Alexia Casale's first novel, then a new and wondrous style of writing has evolved and I for one look forward to Alexia's next novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intoxicating and compelling, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Kindle Edition)
This is one of those books that make you just want to read on and on, with the mystery frustrating while it was being kept from us but also really intriguing.

The Bone Dragon
The Bone Dragon by Alexia Casale (Paperback - 13 Feb 2014)
4.52