4.0 out of 5 stars Magical, intriguing and memorable
This is a very interesting and compelling story, with some almost magical moments. I am not a big one for fantasy/mystical type stuff but this somehow crosses the boundaries for those of us who are a bit sceptical about that kind of thing.

Published 13 months ago by Miss Fusspot

3.0 out of 5 stars Really?
I so wanted to like this. It's nicely written and came recommended by a friend who is an expert on teen books and raved about it. It has beautiful prose and the concept of the bone dragon is gorgeous and beguiling. So perhaps it's unfair of me not to buy into the overall story. But I have worked with and know a lot of children who were brutally damaged in early childhood...
Published 10 months ago by Edie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical, intriguing and memorable, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Paperback)

Some of it is set at night time in the Cambridge fens, and after reading it you almost feel like you have been out there yourself. It reminded me how amazing it can be to be around nature and to just let yourself experience what's around you without the usual everyday distractions. There is enough room for you to use your imagination with this story, and some of it feels almost cinematic - but certainly not too in-your-face.

I could really believe in the main character, Evie, and wanted to know how things turned out for her and how she would deal with all that was happening in her emotions and her life. It also had plenty going on with other people and events aside from Evie's inner life, which helped drive the plot and keep you turning the pages.

I found the ending pretty pleasing, and while you don't find out everything, there is enough of a punchline to make you feel satisfied, and it is quite a witty conclusion.

If I am going to be picky about anything, it is that I am a bit suspicious about how mature Evie seems in terms of the understanding and empathy she has for others, for her age and given her own experiences. Although we know it has taken her time to trust again, perhaps she is a bit more unscathed than you might imagine from what has happened to her. And I was surprised how much she seemed to take to her teacher, who I found quite pushy and a bit annoying!

I would definitely recommend this book, and I may well read it again. I am 43 but I didn't really feel like I was reading a book for teenagers. It is a book with a teenager in it but anyone can enjoy it. Looking forward to a sequel maybe?? PS Don't buy the kindle version, the actual book is beautiful...I regretted getting the kindle version when I saw the actual one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have a Bone Dragon, 6 May 2013
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Paperback)
Everyone should have a Bone Dragon to help them through whatever trauma they encounter in their lives. This is an astonishing book, written ostensibly for Young Adults but with the power to move older adults as well. It will speak to many who need to know they are understood and accepted.

The central character, Evie, seemingly broken by the darkness of her early world and her inability to "tell" finds healing and reclaims her own considerable power through the agency of the Dragon. It is left to the reader to decide whether this wise creature has any external existence or is a part of Evie`s brain to which she does not have conscious access.

The nature of the horrors Evie has been through are never spelled out but their consequences are. The reader is drawn to Evie and is always on her side. The writer skilfully reveals the black distress of a girl who thinks she has lost everything and will always be different from the other girls in her class. The healing which Evie eventually experiences extends to the good family who have adopted and cherished her.

The book can be read as a psychological thriller or as a morality story. It is totally original and does not follow the trend for vampires or dystopias. It is much more frightening. It shows the raw emotional power of a very angry young woman who is right to be angry with a world which has colluded in mistreating her. There is a spectacular and satisfying ending where the wild justice is done. The psychological depth of the book will intrigue adults; younger readers can revel in the fantasy of owning a Dragon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bone Dragon is special. Read it., 3 May 2013
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Paperback)
The Bone Dragon is wonderful, magical, touching, mysterious, fantastic, unique and so many other words I could use. I love this book. It will be a story that will forever have a special place in my heart.

Considering how much I adore Evie and her story I was expecting this review to be easier to write. But I don't think I can do it justice, there is so much about Alexia Casale's book that is truly outstanding. I feel I should be filling pages of how effective and beautiful her writing is. Highlight paragraphs to showcase this. Discuss the brilliance of the Dragon. None of that touches on the human characters within The Bone Dragon or the story.

Evie is a rare gem in narrator, both lovable and true. There is a moment in the second half of the book where Evie's anger gets the better of her. I won't go into details but it that moment alone held everything I love about her. It's not just Evie of course, it's her adoptive parents, Uncle Ben, Ms Winters, Evie's friends. Everyone and everything about this book fits.

I'll stop gushing now but honestly The Bone Dragon is special. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars and I’m so glad I read it, 19 July 2014
Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Paperback)
The Bone Dragon introduces us to Evie, who’s recovering from an operation to remove a part of her rib. With the help of her uncle, she decides to keep this piece of rib, and carve a dragon from it. As she recovers, this little bone dragon comes to life, and takes her out on night time trips.

Over the course of the book, Evie’s past and life is gradually revealed to the reader, although it’s never totally clear; and it’s important to realise that Evie is the narrator of her story, so part of the experience is never knowing exactly sure what to expect, and what is truth.

For me, The Bone Dragon is a well layered book – I have seen some reviews saying it’s no more than a story of a depressed girl making a dragon. I guess that is the basis of the story, but they seem to have missed so much more. It can be read as a fantasy, as a tale of a dragon coming to life and trying to help Evie to heal, in many ways. Alternatively, it can be read as a personal story, dealing with healing, friendship, family, and revenge.

There is a darker side to the story too, Evie does learn to heal, and to develop her relationships, but there’s also a darker side to how she deals with her past. As for her past, it is a difficult one, but never is it presented in a graphic way – the author hints at what happened to Evie, and how it makes her feel. This to me is important, as this can be read by teenagers and adults alike.

This is a story about a teenager, and it is a YA book, but as an adult I found so much within it’s pages. It stirred memories of teenage feelings, whilst bringing out the nurturing adult in me. Evie is a troubled but lovable character, who I wanted to know and help.

I heard about this book a while ago, but have put off reading it. After meeting Alexia at YALC, suddenly it appealed, and I’m so glad I read it. Alexia has just signed a contract for her second book, and I will be first in the queue to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary read, 26 Jun 2013
The Bone Dragon

The Bone Dragon, by Alexia Casale, is an expertly crafted page-turner. At first pass it appears to be a modern day coming of age story about a fourteen year-old girl coming to terms with the abuse she suffered in the past, aided by a feisty magical dragon. But The Bone Dragon is so much more.
As an adult reader, I found much in this book to stimulate reflection and discussion. The cast of interesting and realistic characters tackle real-life problems, such as: parenting; bereavement; bullying; neighbourhood vandalism; and psychological trauma. The author's clever use of layers of meaning and subtle hints (e.g. the meaning of flowers) blurs the boundaries between reality and imagination. We are left with a number of open questions: Is the central character, Evie, a real victim or a fantasist? Is Evie's biological mother, Fiona, a bad mother or simply a woman trying to do her best in very difficult circumstances? What are Sonny's true feelings towards Evie?
Deeper questions are also explored: Does justice set things right? Is counselling helpful? Can we really distinguish between reality and imagination or do we just believe that we can?
I rarely keep books of fiction but this is one I will find a space for and come back to read again as I think I will find new insights with every reading. I will also buy copies of this book for my younger friends as I am sure they will delight in the antics of the playful dragon.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent little book, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Kindle Edition)
Recommended for those who think that being abused means losing all power. Very life affirming bug also a sensible response to the idea of revenge

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Kindle Edition)
This is a clever book. It is about a child who has suffered appallingly, but never dwells on the details of the abuse, just the subsequent impact. The people around her now are good and kind, but she remains reserved. This is an uplifting story of love and recovery, told through a combination of reality and fantasy. It works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 17 Oct 2013
Mrs. Ruth P. Herdman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Kindle Edition)
great book will read it again and again
would recommend it to any adult reader
hopefully she will write more

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Kindle Edition)
A really beautiful and well written story - bittersweet but with optimism and feel-good factor at the end. It even managed to make me shed a few tears on the Tube!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very gripping, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Bone Dragon (Kindle Edition)
A good read. Combines imagination with reality very well. I would recommend this book.. the Dragon is really very wise

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Bone Dragon
The Bone Dragon by Alexia Casale (Paperback - 13 Feb 2014)
4.52