5.0 out of 5 stars Genre-defying dazzler.
It is a long, lo-o-ong time since a book made me cry. Truly cry. And a book that made me laugh and cry? Never.

Published 17 months ago by Sue Kichenside

3.0 out of 5 stars an reader
Published 15 months ago by Consumer A

5.0 out of 5 stars Genre-defying dazzler., 1 Feb 2013
Sue Kichenside - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Norwegian by Night (Hardcover)

This is the most dazzling debut. Where has Derek B. Miller been? Where does he spring from? The back fly-leaf of Norwegian By Night tells us that he was born and raised in Boston and now lives in Oslo with his wife and children. He is the director of The Policy Lab and a senior fellow with the UN Institute for Disarmament Research. He has a PhD from the University of Geneva and an MA from Georgetown University in co-operation with St. Catherine's College, Oxford. "But enough with the credentials already," as Miller might have his hero, Sheldon, say. "Get on with the plot!"

Which is this: Sheldon Horowitz is a grumpy, guilt-driven 82-year old war vet who lives in New York and is recently widowed. His grand-daughter insists that he come to live with her and her Norwegian husband in Oslo. There are only 1000 Jews in Norway amongst a population of five million. Sheldon is one of them. How will he adjust? And should he interfere when he hears a violent argument erupting from the upstairs flat where a woman and her son are clearly in terrible trouble? To his mind, Europe turned a deaf ear and a blind eye to the Jews' plight in the Second World War; he is not going to make the same mistake. Instead, he makes another. A different and devastating one.

Well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. This book is packed with them too. Sheldon is a remarkable, unique and highly memorable character. Can the author really have conjured this tragicomic creation out of thin air? When his grand-daughter Rhea argues that she doesn't want to rent out the spare room in the Oslo flat saying, "It feels weird knowing strange people are under your feet all the time", Sheldon counters with, "That's because you don't have kids. You get used to that feeling." He also has intense dialogues with God who takes the human-ghost guise of an old friend of his. There is time travel to other decades, other wars. There is fascinating insight into the immigrant situation in liberal Norway: "How tolerant should we be of intolerance?" And running throughout this amazing many-layered book, there is a first-rate thriller that will have your heart in your mouth.

This book is one of a kind and out on its own. Mr Miller, may I thank you for what I am utterly confident is going to prove to be my read of the year?

3.0 out of 5 stars an reader, 23 April 2013
Consumer A "ReaderAAA" (England. UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Norwegian by Night (Hardcover)
I wanted to like this book. It had everything going for it. Great unusual backdrop i.e. Norway and a 'hero' unlike most 82 years old and living with his grandaughter and husband in a country that is so different to anything he has yet experienced.The isolation, the completely different culture and language and the age factor all help to make this a thrilling framework. At first I though the flashbacks of the Korean war very well written, interesting and beautifully meshed in with the new storyline of our 'hero' helping a young child escape from the clutches of a murderer in such a hostile country and surroundings. However that to me was the best and afterwards it all seemed to go downhill.The Flashbacks were endless. The storyline got weaker. I skipped several chapters to find little movement. I regret I had to give it up in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long endtime walk of Slaughterhouse Scandi-noir Roth, 4 Jan 2014
Antenna (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Norwegian by Night (Paperback)
Aged eighty-two, a recent widower considered to be showing signs of dementia, former US Marine and Jewish watch repairer Sheldon Horowitz quits New York to live in Oslo with Rhea, the granddaughter he brought up, and her patient Norwegian husband Lars. Sheldon is caught up in the brutal murder of a neighbour, and goes on the run to save her son from being seized and possibly harmed by his violent father, a Kosovan refugee.

Original and more than yet another Scandinavian crime thriller, this is also a reflection on life, of the kind that perhaps one can only make when approaching the end of it. For Sheldon, it is only rational for the elderly to become more preoccupied with the past when their earthly future is limited. Throughout life, "sanity is the thick soup of distraction we immerse ourselves in to keep from remembering that we're gonna bite it". It can be "overwhelming and painful" to harbour "memories accompanied by too much nostalgia". And much more in this vein.

Sheldon appears not so much senile as from his youth eccentric, over-intense, too imaginative for his own good. His sharp, wisecracking wit pastes over the cracks of deep anguish and regret. Haunted by the holocaust, too young to enlist for World War Two, his spell of combat in Korea - if it really happened - only creates further demons, guilt over strangers killed in cold blood, and the pressure he places on his own son Saul to fight in Vietnam brings further grief. Although this sounds gloomy, the writing is peppered with quirky humour, a vivid sense of place and perceptive portrayal of relationships.

Admittedly, the tone adopted is often that of a thoughtful man with a PhD in international relations i.e. the author, rather than a non-intellectual watch repairer. I spotted some small glitches in the plot and implausible police practice, which I cannot reveal. Some of the minor characters, such as the "baddies" or Kosovan immigrants are very negative stereotypes, even if largely seen through the jaundiced eyes of a police officer. I would like to think that, in writing about America as "our champion and our future", Europeans as weak and the Norwegians as nave in their liberalism, Miller simply portrays the viewpoints of his characters rather than some personal, often Jewish-centred hobby horses. I agree that his meshing of a crime thriller with psychological literary fiction, comedy with unremitting violence, is sometimes a little uneven.

The end is disappointing - too rushed after the detailed development of most scenes. I do not mind ambiguous endings, but felt that the last paragraph might have been added for the wrong reasons - a point which I hope will be clear when you reach the conclusion.

I could not help making comparisons with the Swedish bestseller, "The hundred- year- old man who climbed out of a window and disappeared", to the detriment of the latter. "Norwegian by Night" is much better written, more profound and genuinely funny. The sometimes unexpected switches between reality and fantasy, such as Sheldon's conversations with pawnbroker Bill, or his accompanying of Saul in Vietnam, made me think of "Slaughterhouse Five" so I was interested to see the inclusion of Vonnegut in the author's acknowledgements.

Five stars for the development of Sheldon's character and the use of imagined scenes to convey some powerful images or telling insights.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Debut, 19 Mar 2013
Amazon Customer "Boo62" (Ilkeston Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Norwegian by Night (Hardcover)
An old man's life is turned upside down as his granddaughter & her (Norwegian) husband move to Norway & take him with them.
Once there he, Sheldon, makes no bones about the fact he misses New York, his job as a watch repairer & his now dead wife & best friend.
Those around Sheldon suspect he is slipping into dementia as he reminisces about a wartime career they doubt he had & he loses himself in memories & regret.

This all gets blown sky high when an abused woman & her boy turn up on his doorstep & he must decide what to do for the best.

This is certainly not without flaw. Sheldon is the main character & everyone else involved are really little more than sketches. The constant flashbacks tend to slow the pace on occasion and there is a throwaway attitude to Europe as a whole.
The villains are a bit 2 dimensional and the ending feels a little rushed.

However it has to be said that for all that this really does work and in Sheldon introduces a fantastically real & loveable old coot who may just have one last adventure in him.
The Use of Norway as a backdrop to events refreshes things and opens a nice few moments of surprise & humour as our 'hero' struggles to understand those around him.

There is a huge seam of emotion and deep feeling of loss that permeates the whole book and elevates to well above just another police procedural. You have to admire the courage of a writer who believes in his central character to such a degree that he allows nothing, including plot, pace or other characters to interfere with the reader bonding with him.
Normally this would be a huge risk but I have to say that in this instance it truly pays off.

Sheldon Horowitz is destined to become a literary name known by many.
I picked this up on the off chance it would pass a few hours. I wasn't wrong! A really enjoyable read and one I will return to more than once.

I would have dropped a star due to some omissions but in truth this is still a well rounded and truly entertaining read.

If Derek Miller can come anywhere near this level of finesse in his next novel then I can't wait.

There is some salty language and adult themes throughout.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure, 27 Nov 2013
This book is difficult to review. The plot was okay but I felt that a number of areas were underdeveloped. For instance, I might have missed it but I did not really understand the reason why the father of the child wanted him. The relationship between Sheldon and his grand-daughter could have been built upon alongside her reaction to both her grandfather's disappearance and her miscarriage. She and her partner seemed to "disappear" until the end I am not sure of the purpose of the book, was it the plot or the old man's memories of war and loss? The two did not quite knit together that well. I quite enjoyed the ghosts in the story and found the role of Bill comforting. I would recommend this book but with slight reservation.

4.0 out of 5 stars more noir than Norwegian, 16 Feb 2013
This is a debut novel and a very good one at that. I bought it thinking that it will be a good example of Norwegian style crime writing, but it is a bit different from what I expected. The author is an American living in Norway, probably for a short time, and he imports an old American man, also new to Norway, as his central character. He brings with him a lot of baggage that is deftly incorporated into the plot. The villains are Kosovars and only one of the characters is Norwegian. The portrayal of the old man with a declining intellect and a fund of guerrilla warfare knowledge is masterful, the plot is tight and the denouement tense and explosive. A page turner.
I shall watch this writer with interest, as his style, if he stays in Norway, is certain to become more "Norwegian"

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 12 Feb 2013
H. Spivey (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
A thoughtful book that marries the excitement of an action thriller with a deep insight into one man's life and his interactions with his family and those around him. And a wonderful advert for being over 80.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 Mar 2013
I didn't like the way the novel reverted to the past all the time. Not my type of reading. Sorry!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the hype, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Norwegian by Night (Hardcover)
Unfortunately, I read quite a few raves about this title, and while it is a competent enough thriller, it really does n't live up to expectation as far as I'm concerned. Wait until it's in the library, or borrow it from a friend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly I liked., 10 Mar 2013
Mostly I did like this book. I have to say though I was disappointed with the superficiality of the writers views on Europeans (yes all 20+ nations dealt with in a few sentences.), in which the righteous wronged American comes through hard. I'm not even going to touch on the Jewish wronged aspect with a 40ft barge pole. Maybe these were supposed to be the characters views but I found it hard to place that.
I really liked the way the story travelled to and fro in time through the protagonists life, and the ghosts. But I have no time for fly the flag propaganda. Those aspects of the book for me were.....simplistic and arsey.

Norwegian by Night
Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller (Paperback - 5 Sep 2013)
3.85