4.0 out of 5 stars I found this book totally absorbing
Published on 2 April 2011 by srsbizniz

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the bloody Reichenbach again
Published 18 months ago by Mr. M. Neligan

4.0 out of 5 stars I found this book totally absorbing, 2 April 2011
...and two things probably help with this. Firstly, the fact that it is short and can be read in one sitting. Secondly, I'd never read any of the Arthur Conan Doyle stories prior to reading this. Whilst some of the intertextual points may have been beyond me at certain points (or were they? Everyone surely knows at least the basic outlines of Holmes and Watson) I felt that this was a good place to come in. My impression of Holmes as eminent detective had not been formed and, perhaps through this, what I found to admire here more than deduction, or other themes normally to be found in police procedurals and amateur sleuth stories, was Holmes' cunning.

Aside from Holmes, I found Watson to be particularly engaging narrator who led me along with a sprightly if slightly gammy-legged skip. Enjoyable, readable and a perfect starting place to help with delving into the original Conan Doyle stories as I am going to do now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the bloody Reichenbach again, 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Last Sherlock Holmes Story (Paperback)
As Mozart might have said, "It doesn't really work, does it?" Holmes was a fictional hero and the Ripper was real: the gruesome world of the Whitechapel slayings is very different from that of "The Speckled Band" - though they are not separated much by time or place. The further I read, the more I became impatient to see how the end would develop. When it came, I found it disappointing and confusing - and even ambiguous. The author (requiescat) wrote with some distinction and he obviously put a lot of work into the plot and its connection with Conan Doyle's canon, but somehow I wish he hadn't bothered. Few if any of his imitators write as entertainingly as the burly, cricket-loving believer in fairies. However, it has given me an idea: how about a tale in which Dracula becomes a vegetarian, Tarzan comes out of the closet, Conan The Barbarian takes Holy Orders and James Bond drinks real ale?

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't read the review below!, 21 Jun. 2010
I'm not one to usually write reviews on here. I will say this, for a big Sherlock Holmes fan, this is a must read and is very well written. My main purpose however is not to recommend the book but to say please don't read the review underneath. I made the mistake of buying the book and seeing what the reviews said before reading it. I'm sorry to say that the first review on the page gave away a huge plot spoiler and did annoy me. I enjoyed the book nevertheless, but I couldn't help but wonder how much better it would have been if I didn't know what was going to happen anyway. It's all very well to recommend a book and to talk around plot points, but I don't agree with giving those plot points away. I'm sure it was meant with the best of intentions, but it did make a potentially great read into just a good one.

Do give this book a chance, it's worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Last Sherlock Holmes Story (BBC Audio), 26 Nov. 2010
The Last Sherlock Holmes Story (Unabridged)

This is a very good story. However do not expect a normal Holmes story. As the plot twists and turnes you realise that all is not going too well for Sherlock. Accept this what if tale for what it is and enjoy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kept expecting it to get better, 1 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Last Sherlock Holmes Story (Paperback)
Found this to be massively disappointing, having high hopes initially regarding a meeting between Sherlock Holmes and Jack The Ripper. I won't write any spoilers here for anyone wishing to give it a go for themselves, however I found the further in the book I got and the more I was expecting Holmes to start resembling the character I know and love, the more that the Holmes in this book became a offensive impersonator. The ending, whilst attempting to be shocking and emotional is obvious and uncomfortable for anyone with any love of the character. Avoid.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever, but ultimately ridiculous, 30 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
The author has constructed a clever and complex story that apes the style of ACD well enough. I personally much enjoyed the first half of the book, but the basic premise of the story is too incredible to be convincing. If like me, you have gained immeasurable pleasure form Holmes over the years, you may also find this book something of an unnecessary and unwelcome post script to his adventures. Clever, yes. Satisfying, no...

4.0 out of 5 stars Shocking and interesting..., 4 Jan. 2006
Kurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (London, SW1) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
There is a long and honoured tradition among mystery writers and fans of the Sherlock Holmes tales of writing one's own mystery. This can take one of several starting points - to take a detail in the canonical stories and develop it more fully (there are a lot of dangling pieces in there), to take the characters of Holmes and Watson (and perhaps others) and involve them in completely new fictional scenarios, or, as author Michael Dibdin does here, involve the characters in actual historical events. Dibdin is not the first to pit Holmes against the murderer of Whitechapel, whom history has come to know as 'Jack the Ripper'. Indeed, if there was one case upon which the Holmesian skill was needed in London a hundred years ago, it was that case, still unsolved by the authorities.
Dibdin, however, does a twist to this. Holmes is involved in solving the case, but even he cannot do it. This, we discover in the course of things, is because of a very dark secret indeed. Holmes is known from the canonical stories to be a cocaine addict, a seven-percent solution being his favoured dose. Dibdin set the premise that this has caused Holmes to have a split personality, and that his nemesis Moriarty is in fact Holmes himself. This is an overlay of the idea of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, a story contemporary with Conan Doyle's canon, and also one involving drug transformation.
This is a story for the true Holmes fan. As another reviewer has commented, those who are not intimately familiar with the Holmesian canon are likely going to be lost in many of the details and get a vastly distorted picture both of the detective and his arch-enemy. This is a flight of pure fancy, a 'what if?' very well crafted and executed, but rather far from what the traditional Holmesian and Sherlockian followers will accept.
Dibdin does write in an engaging style, and sets this up as a Watsonian narrative buried for a period to permit the Holmes legend to rest secure before being savaged. Of course, that legend is secure, as countless pastiches that have warped Holmes into every conceivable type of person and placed him in ever more diverse setting have been unable to shake - indeed, their continued production only serves to solidify that prominence. Dibdin's contribution is a welcome, if shocking, contribution to this body of work.
Few who read it will ever forget it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Read as a library book, 23 Jun. 2014
SMASK "smask" (Crewe, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Oh dear, Dibdin is a professional author whose Zen books are great. However the take on Holmes and Watson here is so bizarre as to require not just suspension of disbelief but a lack of disbelief that is almost moronic. I am not a believer in not using historical characters but it has to be logically sound. Gratuitous vile language and images are unnecessary.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great, 22 Jan. 2014
I enjoyed the cod victorian writing but I was hoping for a twist at the end other than the obvious.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very ingenious solution to a couple of mysteries!, 11 Jan. 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and I have to admire Dibdin's skill in making up a fictional explanation for a set of real murders - very entertaining!

The Last Sherlock Holmes Story
The Last Sherlock Holmes Story by Michael Dibdin (Paperback - 2 Aug. 2012)