5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and poignant
Published on 1 Sep 2003 by moving toyshop

3.0 out of 5 stars Ho Hum
I would really have loved to like this collection a whole lot more; unfortunately, it just did not stir me in any particular way. (And sorry, no pun intended).
Published 4 months ago by Ms. Fiona Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and poignant, 1 Sep 2003
'Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis' is a joy to read. Wendy Cope writes witty and refreshing poems which are ideal to read aloud and share with others - they had my whole family in stitches. 'From June to December' is a funny and touching account of the different emotions which are experienced at the start of a relationship, and at its termination. Wendy Cope has a great talent for describing human emotions, particularly love, in a way that we can all identify with. However, her talent is not restricted to humorous poetry, and 'Tich Miller' effectively conveys what it is like to be the outcast who is picked last for teams during school sports, and although the narrator is able to get one over her athletic counterparts, "sneering at hockey players who couldn't spell", tragically Tich Miller dies before she can find any kind of niche for herself. One of the most enjoyable, touching poetry collections I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Satirical Classic: An Absolute Must-Read, 11 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This has been a firm favourite of mine ever since my father gasped in horror when I said I'd never read it & immediately went out to buy me a copy. There are so many fabulous satirical poems in this collection that I quite agree with my father that everyone with any interest at all in poetry should read it. Many of these poems are now old friends of mine, learned off by heart & a comfort to recall at odd moments. Some of the best poems are nursery rhymes re-written in the style of famous poets (TS Eliot: "In the first minute of the last hour/I saw the mouse ascend the ancient timepiece/ Claws whispering in the wind like dry hyacinths"). Indeed Cope is amazingly adroit at parodying Eliot (one of my favourite poets), and her set of five limericks summarising The Wasteland are a true joy ("In April one seldom feels cheerful/ Dry stones, sun and dust make me fearful;/ Clairvoyantes distress me/ Commuters depress me-/ Met Stetson and gave him an earful"). Oh dear, I really must try to curb my longing to quote and quote from this marvellous volume. But I hope you have realised by now that these poems are far too good not to share. I often find myself buying copies of this book for Wendy-Cope-deprived friends and I must admit that nowadays when I do so I usually buy them the miniature volume that Faber have put out at a lower price. But I personally own this edition, and I think it is worth the extra money to have a well-bound edition as this is a book that is much thumbed in my home.
If I have any reservations at all about recommending this book, it is that those poems here which are *not* satirical (such as "Tich Miller") are not very good. However, these poems are in the minority here, and the vast majority of this book is an utter delight. "A Policeman's Lot", a poem based on a Ted Hughes quotation about outwitting his own internal policeman, is one of my very favourites ("All leave was cancelled in the lambing season/ When bitter winter froze the drinking trough/ For our commander stated with good reason/ That that's the kind of thing that starts him off") as is the short yet magnificent "Emily Dickinson" ... no... no... I really won't quote any more. Just buy the book already, OK? As long as you have a love of the English language and a functioning sense of humour you won't be sorry...

5.0 out of 5 stars Technique and truth collide in masterful parody, 11 July 2001
Andy Millward (Tiptree, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Wendy Cope always struck me as a woman fighting to keep her naive romantic and lyrical instincts about the scepticism that dogs our everyday disappointments with life. Her story of girlish summer romance turning to another weary disappointment by autumn does not prevent her wanting to try again.
That she chooses to do so with wickedly humour by parodying poetic forms and poets themselves (play the man, not the ball!) adds further emphasis to the moments of revelation unveiled with materful economy.
Mastery of technique is required to deliver first-rate parody, so it is to Cope's eternal credit that her skill is fulfilled with such a light touch. Cope's verse is charming but sly and frequently underestimated.

4.0 out of 5 stars WENDY COPE - More Bridget Jones than Bridget Jones, 27 Nov 1999
By A Customer
Wendy Cope - what a woman. The first time I read one of her poems I thought she had got into my head and read my thoughts - witty, funny, romantic, ironic. Does she hate men? I don't think so, but the way she writes about them you could be sat in a pub with her chatting about the latest disaster to have befallen your love-life. Wendy Cope is not only a very clever, witty woman, but she's clearly 'been there', and her observational style is very easy to deal with. Read it - you'll love it - especially if you are a fan of Bridget Jones - but be warned, the lady is highly addictive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Winter Warmers, 1 May 2009
If you're a fan of Wendy Cope's lighthearted and bathos-filled poetry then you'll definitely want to own this. If you're studying her at A-level or just interested, then this is a great starting point. Reasonably priced and attractively bound, this is a little gem

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever pastiches, 12 Jun 2007
This is an amusing collection if you are fond of poetry and have some knowledge of the styles and poets that have inspired the contents. It would be a good stocking filler for a literary friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars In crumpled bardic corduroy, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis (Hardcover)
I lent my signed copy to someone more than 20 years ago and have been missing it ever since. Am so pleased to have it back with or without Wendy Cope's signature

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful collection of poems, 15 July 2010
Katie Stevens "Ygraine" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This was a wonderful little collection of poems from a delightful poet. I loved the literary parodies and the way she pokes fun at the things people take too seriously. Her use of bathos is just perfect and I often found myself laughing out loud. Although the majority of the poems in this book are humorous they contain kernels of wisdom and grains of truth, and the overall comic tone of the collection makes the few serious poems seem all the more serious by comparison. Definitely not a book to read on the train, although having read Cope's poem on the subject, I now know that this would be the perfect way to make sure I get a seat.

5.0 out of 5 stars a laugh a minute, 3 Dec 2009
Thank heavens for Copes view of life and the tongue in cheek nature of these amusing poems. They certainly bring a bit of humour into the male/female debate and are often outright cheap and funny and other times clever and oblique caracatures such as her use of a Christopher Smart poem as her basis for a very funny piss take of her bourgeois boy friend.I should say Wendy Cope at her best bringing a welcome dose of humour into art that blows the cobwebs away.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ho Hum, 3 Mar 2014
Ms. Fiona Allen "catlover" (edinburgh, uk) - See all my reviews

Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis
Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis by Wendy Cope (Hardcover - 6 May 2010)
5.60