4.0 out of 5 stars Auster's best in quite a while
Published on 17 Nov 2010 by Gazza

2.0 out of 5 stars We need to talk about Paul...
Published on 15 Sep 2011 by Milton Fontaine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars We need to talk about Paul..., 15 Sep 2011
This review is from: Sunset Park (Paperback)
I read an interview with Paul Auster shortly after the release of Sunset Park,and he intimated that maybe writing wasn't as important to him as it use to be,and that he didn't know if he would write anymore.This book for me highlights that attitude.I found this slow,dull and ultimately pointless.The characters were very two dimensional and I just didn't care about any of it.It seems as though he just chucked in a couple of life changing events that shaped the protaganists life and filled in the gaps.It was almost like reading someone trying to copy Auster. I loved "Invisible", I though that was typical Auster class.But this left me feeling let down and a bit pissed off to be honest.Lazy.I hope his best years aren't behind him.Come on Paul give us something worthy of your name.
Having said all that,I'd imagine people new to Auster may find this ok,fair enough, but if you're one of them, do me a favour and pick up New York Trilogy and compare.There is no comparison.It's two different writers.One full of ideas, the other who can't be bothered anymore.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let down but still worth the read..., 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: Sunset Park (Hardcover)
I would characterise myself as a die hard Paul Auster fan, I have read everything he has ever written. Unfortunately I have found his recent works haven't left me quite as satisfied as his classics such as New York Trilogy and Oracle Night. His prose is still utterly compelling and I find that from the first page I am drawn in and want to read more. The substance of works such as this one is however somewhat lacking. I agree with an earlier critic that the characters weren't sufficiently developed or compelling, that there were too many and that the focus of the book was a little confused. And so, I reached the end with a sigh of disappointment, glad to have read the book but not happy with the emptiness it left me with. I will ofcourse buy his next work and probably the one after that as soon as is it published, but (and I hate to say this) my admiration for Mr. Auster may be on the wane.

4.0 out of 5 stars Auster's best in quite a while, 17 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sunset Park (Hardcover)
After a recent run of good, but not quite great, novels Paul Auster returns with his strongest work in years. Beautifully and sparingly written, regular readers will enjoy the recurring Auster themes - broken relationships within families, the collection of seemingly junk items, isolation, another side of America. The characters live outside of the pages - in contract to some of his recent books. It's not the New York Trilogy or even The Music of Chance but there are strong signs here that Auster is almost back on the form that made him one of the most important writers of the 80s and 90s.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent story, 9 April 2013
A. Browne "avid reader" (Donegal Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunset Park (Paperback)
This is a wonderfully stylish novel. The beauty of the prose does not interfere with the story. The continual use of lists and the multi narrator /subject add to the sense of humanity of the main protagonist. Miles Heller is 27 years old living in Florida having fled his family believing himself repsonsible for the death of his step brother . Following his relationship with a high school girl he heads back to New York to escape her sister's blackmail attempts . He becomes a part of a squatter community in a house in Sunset Park in New York.

Along the way we explore the work of PEN ,the temporary nature of material possessions , latent homosexuality, the fragile nature of love and loss.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad not good, 15 May 2012
This review is from: Sunset Park (Kindle Edition)
This is a average Paul Auster novel. It feels half finished and was just getting interesting when it ended. Doesn't hold a candle to his earlier work such as New York Trilogy, Music of Chance etc..

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 30 Jan 2011
This review is from: Sunset Park (Hardcover)
This novel was a local book club choice and is the first time I have read Paul Auster. I found the book a fantastic read that I would recommend to others. The author has several quirks (such as sentences that run for 1.5 pages) but in the context used it proved to be a really effective device. One of my fellow book club members did comment that the ending seemed rather abrupt, almost as if the book had run its alloted number of pages and then was closed quickly, but that didn't spoil it for me, it just gave me greater reign to imagine what might have happened next.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, readable, but not sure of its significance, 29 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sunset Park (Hardcover)
I find Paul Auster's writing highly readable and thought-provoking but for me, not everything he does entirely works. So it is with "Sunset Park", ostensibly a book about how the global economic crisis of 2008 impacts a set of characters squatting in a dilapidated building in the area of New York that gives the book its title, although really the focus is less on finances and economics and more on relationships - romances, sexual encounters, family interactions and friendship.

I raced through this novel as Auster's prose held my attention, even if at times his subjects - e.g. erotic drawings, baseball, the father-son dynamic - were not ones that really spoke to me. Some readers may have an issue with the less than structured narrative, jumps in perspective and the nature of the denouement, but my real criticism of the book would be of its characters. Too many are introduced and a number are insufficiently developed, rendering them unconvincing. Father and son Morris and Miles Heller ring true, together with Miles's actress mother, but Ellen and particularly Alice, the female contingent at the Sunset Park house, are not particularly well-drawn. Personally I didn't really buy the Bing character at all. And whilst Miles leaves an impression on the reader, for me it was hard to see why everyone around him warmed to him so much and wanted his approval; that didn't really strike a real chord with me, either.

Having made criticisms of the characterisation, I'll return to the engaging writing as a good reason to pick this book up, although it doesn't show Auster at his most imaginative, experimental or original, which means longstanding fans might find it one of his lesser works and those new to his novels might want to start elsewhere. If you are looking for a compelling read with some interesting stylistic flourishes and a literary novel that keeps you turning the pages, however, this might not be a bad bet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sun goes down on Auster!, 5 Jan 2011
Michael Murphy (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sunset Park (Hardcover)
Count me in as a long-time follower of Paul Auster's work, even if somewhat browned off (being polite here) by the post-modern jiggery-pokery of 'Travels in the Scriptorium' and 'Man in the Dark'. Disappointing therefore, to find little in Auster's latest novel 'Sunset Park' that would signal the return to form for Auster that someone like myself (who regarded Auster as a favourite author) would love to see. Part of the 'old' Auster appeal for me is that there's no guessing where a Paul Auster novel will take you. You may start off in New York as happens in 'Moon Palace' my favourite Auster novel to-date, and incredibly, find yourself transported in the blink of an eye to the American West. Another novel, 'Mr. Vertigo', whisks you off on a magical tour across the USA. You never knew where you would end up with Auster. Count me in for more of that 'old' Auster of his younger days!

In 'Sunset Park', Auster offers insights into writing and publishing and makes some pertinent comments on the state of present-day America and its ongoing overseas misadventures ("a sick destructive monster") but count me out of all the trivia on baseball and the arty stuff on the film 'The Best Years of Our Lives'. Ditto for all the bits on erotic drawings; and Auster's stylistic touch of using lists and then more lists (IMO) is another annoyance.

The intriguing situation presented in 'Sunset Park' involving the occupation of an abandoned house in New York City by four twenty-something squatters Miles, Bing, Alice and Ellen - each in turn taking their place on centre stage as Auster switches the focus of the narrative from one to the other, relating the story through their eyes - looks promising, creates anticipation of.... struggle?... strife?... confrontation perhaps? - a situation that begs the kind of imaginative treatment at which Auster has excelled in earlier novels such as 'The Music of Chance', 'The Book of Illusions' and 'The New York Trilogy'. Given the set-up, I had hoped a story with 'fire in its belly' would ignite from the squatters' illegal occupation. Yet Auster makes little of the dramatic potential of the situation and the disappointing end result (IMO) is a busload of pedestrian characters plodding through a lacklustre plot where nothing much happens that isn't expected, where there's no real drama in the interaction of the four squatters sufficient to yoke this reader's attention to the narrative. I soldiered on manfully to the end but in the end found myself starting to gloss over pages as my interest in the proceedings waned. Nope, not one of the 'select few' Auster novels I would run through smoke to save from a fire. On this one count me out! Comment | Permalink

4.0 out of 5 stars Not stellar.. but still plenty for new readers, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Sunset Park (Kindle Edition)
I'm a card-carrying Auster fan and there's just about enough here to keep me satiated... for now. But as many of the reviewers have pointed out some of the characters just aren't particularly well conceived and too much page space is wasted on them. Plus the rambling asides on baseball and human rights organisations could be curtailed a touch.

At heart it's a father and son story and I think that shines through. Quite readable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent story told in an interesting style, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sunset Park (Paperback)
When reviewing a previous Auster book, my one criticism was the somewhat clunky dialogue. In Sunset Park, he comes up with an interesting solution to such problems by not having any. Instead, the book is told in a series of first person essays, revealing different perspectives on the same story. This certainly helps it stand out from the plethora of credit crunch fiction out there and my only criticism would be that the ending felt a bit sudden, when there was perhaps more to say. But perhaps the fact that it leaves the audience wanting more shows what a good book this is.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sunset Park
Sunset Park by Paul Auster (Paperback - 2 Jun 2011)
5.59