5.0 out of 5 stars `I had not known America would be like this.'
The novel opens in France where sickly, sensitive Olivier de Garmont and the remnants of his aristocratic family have survived the Revolution and the Terror of 1793, and are surviving the Bonaparte regime in their chateau in Normandy. The restoration of the monarchy brings no joy to Olivier's family, and his family decides to send him to America - ostensibly to study...
Published on 27 Aug. 2010 by Jennifer Cameron-Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars curate's egg
Peter Carey has not written an "un-put-downable" book - the plot lines just aren't tight and sustaining enough - and the reader is left primarily to enjoy a slowly developing respect, almost friendship, between a master and a servant in the mid-nineteenth century. When Parrot, the servant, narrates there is much meandering and musing and I often longed for a crisper pace...
Published on 29 Aug. 2011 by Mr. C. G. Leggatt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 15 Oct. 2013
Nowhere as good as Oscar and Lucinda. or The True Story of the Kelly Gang, or Illywhacker. If they were good Peter Carey reads for you, I'm afraid you'll find this offering a very poor one. I was disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems like new, 24 May 2013
A. M. Harvey Williams "bibloser" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parrot and Olivier in America (Paperback)
Although I ordered this as a used copy of the book, the goods received look like brand new. Delivery was prompt, and I am very pleased with this purchase. I would recommend this supplier to other purchasers.

2.0 out of 5 stars dull, 19 Feb. 2013
Sara Evans (London) - See all my reviews
i've always liked peter carey but i just found this book boring. couldn't get into the characters or plot so gave up about half way through

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent historical novel, 15 Nov. 2012
Takes a while to get going but develops into an interesting story. Good but not his best by some way

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype!, 25 April 2011
This review is from: Parrot and Olivier in America (Paperback)
Living in a city in a country where English books are not easy to come by, when I was in the WHSmiths in Heathrow airport I saw this, flipped it over and perused the back cover. "A comic masterpiece," said the New Yorker. "Exhilarating," said the Sunday Times. "Shortlisted for the Booker Prize 2010," screamed the cover. Etc, etc. Sounded like a sure-fire winner for a holiday read. However, had Viz contributed to this dearth of toadyism, I daresay they would have summed it up more appropriately: "Utter **** from start to finish." If this is really the stuff of which Booker Prizes are almost given, I'll be steering clear of that reference from now on. Not funny, not clever. I can imagine the stuffy bourgeoisie reading it slapping their thighs over the triteness of passage that this book is. "Oh bird engravings, how bloody funny, bloody hell, rah, rah!" I suspect strongly that backhanders paid for said plaudits, because there is nothing of genuine merit to warrant them within the 576 pages of thigh high sludge that this represents. Tellingly, Carey is an Australian, and most likely a republican to whit. Thankfully, I had other books on hand to read first during my holiday. Had I not, I'd have been sending postcards from hell. Dire.

1.0 out of 5 stars No thanlk, 22 Aug. 2014
Not for me

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 13 April 2011
This review is from: Parrot and Olivier in America (Paperback)
Absolutely rubbish. Never got off the ground, Characters are cardboard with zero versimiltude and meander aimlessly throughout the book. Peter Carey ? Quoth the raven...........

1.0 out of 5 stars Parrot and Olivier in America, 10 Aug. 2010
G. Denys "valdez" (South Africa) - See all my reviews
A boring read ; a confusing story ; very difficult language for non English speaking readers. I normally read about 50 pages a day. After 5 pages a day in this book , I feel I had enough of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Parrot and Oliver in America, 3 July 2010
The service is amazing. I heard about the book on the radio, ordered it and within 24 hours I had received it. I don't know how you could possibly improve on that! Thank you

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Parrot and Olivier in America
Parrot and Olivier in America by Peter Carey (Paperback - 3 Feb. 2011)