on 5 July 2011
I love Sarah Silverman but I understand that she is comedy marmite. Nobody seems to sit on the fence, it's either a love or hate affair. Assuming you are looking at this book because you are a fan (and not to use it for fire kindling or toilet paper) I can definitely recommend it.

It is an honest and unabashed account of her life until now. From her childhood struggles with bed wetting and depression to her slow climb in to the not always pleasant comedy industry.

A must for anyone who enjoys her work.
on 29 January 2012
This book had the beginnings of an interesting and funny look into Sarah's life and where she came from.
After you get past the forward, written by herself (how Silverman), you get some funny and interesting bits about her early life and how her life was ruled by her bedwetting. Then there is a mention of how she is finding the book hard to write and you know what it feels it. It feels like there was not enough interesting stuff to write about so it is filled with... filler. So yeah... as a fan it is interesting and funny but really only because I was so eager for it to be funny and interesting.
11 comment11 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2011
I liked this book for the most part. I dont know that it revealed anything earth shattering but it was a good read. There was a little too much emphasis on the authors father which became tedious rather than enlightening. That said it still provided enough entertainment to keep me reading.
on 24 February 2013
I'd never heard of Sarah Silverman until I saw her on Graham Norton's show. She made me laugh and mentioned her book so I thought, 'Why not'.

This book isn't for everyone, there are very funny moments that had me laugh out loud in public places, parts that made me squirm with horror and parts that made me sad. But overall it was very entertaining.

It's a five star for me because I tend to read thrillers and fantasy and find autobiogs boring. But I couldn't put this one down; it is the only autobiog that I've been able to finish.

Well done

PS Sarah if you read this, I'm a Christian and I loved you God material xo
on 4 October 2014
Fans or people who share sarah Silverman's sense of humour like me will love this book. If you only find her okay you probably won't. If you get offended easily don't read it but if you like her and have found some of her comments out of order read it because she explains them well. I loved this book because I find her to be one of the most funny comedians of our generation. I also think she is an intelligent and genuinely interesting person. In some of the serious moments of this book you will actually appreciate the candid, deep, and intelligent things she has to say. I am very pleased to have read it!!!
on 1 July 2012
You won't find a more open and at times hand in mouth brutally honest autobiography. Sarah Silverman is a comedy writer, performer in her own show and internet phenomemnen (along with Matt Damon). Sarah talks honestly about her early life, where the title comes from, her attempts to break into TV, and writing, alongside her mixed success with boys, plus her hilarious, but unintentionally funny father.

An entertaining book, with plenty of honesty.
on 25 February 2013
I recently read Miranda Hart's autobiography and found it very disappointing. Having enjoyed her standup before, I thought I would love her book, but instead I found it very try-hard and not very funny. On the other hand, I never really watched much of Sarah Silverman's stuff, always thinking she was a bit crude, but after seeing a few interviews with her for Wreck-it-Ralph, I thought I would give this book a try.

I absolutely loved it, couldn't put it down, and wish there was more. It is hilarious. It follows the same pattern as Miranda Hart's book, in that at times she talks directly to the reader about writing the book, talking with the publishers, how slow the process is etc, but she does it so well. There are a few pictures in there too. There is some swearing in the book, so maybe it's not suitable for everyone, and it does involve sex, drugs, and depression, but all dealt with in a very funny way.

I may read this again. Can't say enough good things about it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2014
From an interesting account about teenage depression to accounts of her most controversial moments of her career told in a very funny manner. If you like her sick jokes you will definitely like her tales!
on 26 March 2013
Very funny and emotional book wrote in dry humour on the personal life of Sarah Silverman. Reads of personal experiences and the up's and downs of her life. Light and Fun. would recommend.
on 1 February 2014
Sarah is some mixture! She delights in being obscene, has a lousy taste in men and an obsession with bodily functions. One minute she's confessing she's still haunted by the smell of a boyfriends balls many years ago, the next minute she's telling us about her embarrassment at wetting a boyfriend's bed on their first date! Never a dull moment with Sarah! I wonder if she's ever done anything she's too embarrassed to tell us about.
Nevertheless she has an endearing vulnerabilty and ability to laugh at herself. Watch her on "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" and you'll see what I mean.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse