4.0 out of 5 stars Winterland
A first class thriller that opens with the killing of Noel 'Grassy' Raffety a known member of a gang in a Dublin bar, the same night his uncle, also Noel Raffety, an engineer, is killed in a road accident near Wicklow. The only person who seems to think this could be anything other than a coincidence is Gina Raffety, sister of the older Noel Raffety.

This is a...
Published on 1 Nov. 2009 by Big Bertha

3.0 out of 5 stars Dublin grey rather than noir
I was looking forward to this book; there are some excellent Irish crime thriller writers in print just now who portray the Irish intrigue and criminality to perfection. Regrettably, this book - or, rather, this story, does not hit the spot for me. It takes fifty pages to arrive at the point where the book's strap lines are achieved and the idea that two people with the...
Published on 11 Nov. 2009 by Michael Watson

4.0 out of 5 stars A nation that's had a personality transplant, 17 Feb. 2010
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Winterland (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Winterland" is a decent enough thriller that keeps the reader in suspense until its final pages. It is set in Dublin and deals with corruption and violence in high places.A young woman ,Gina,is left reeling after her nephew is shot on the same night that her brother dies in a car accident. Both men are named Noel Rafferty. Gina smells a rat and her amateur sleuthing leads her to the head of a leading property developer who are constructing a large skyscraper on the banks of the Liffey and,indirectly, to the man who is favourite to be the next Taoiseach. Something fishy is going on at the top of the property developers and those hiding something are not afraid to use violence to keep their secret under wraps. Can Gina uncover the plot and expose it to the public eye , or will she be stopped by whatever means necessary ? "Winterland" is an intriguing page turner in the main which is fairly easy to read and it sheds light on the workings of the elite in the "Celtic Tiger". It reveals them to be insatiably greedy and corrupt with no regard for human life. How can this be the case in what was once one of the most devout Catholic nations in Europe ? I can only put this down to the fact that Ireland has,over the past couple of decades, underwent a somewhat sinister collective personality transplant. No longer can they be sterotyped as thick,superstitious, lazy drunks. Instead they appear to have adopted a "Protestant work ethic" and can now be more accurately sterotyped as being over-zealous brownnoses, who sponge shamelessly off the EU and prostitute themselves to the Americans in the hope of some transient inward investment. Apparently witchcraft is now rife in Ireland, the Catholic church there systematically covers up for paedophiles in their midst and unapologetic Irish republicans who showed no respect for human life in their 25 year murder campaign now form part of the government in hitherto Protestant Ulster. "Winterland" gives a bit of a flavour of the "New Ireland". Personally I preferred the "Old Ireland" where people lived simpler, less complicated lives without a pack of ignorant,golddigging ,selfish show offs ruining it for them. As you can probably tell I'm a Northern Protestant who now feels a stranger and an outcast in his own country. I don't know how to co-exist with the type of people who populate the pages of "Winterland".

(By the way, I would like to give a big thank you to "Amazon Vine" for the free copy of this book.)

3.0 out of 5 stars sorry, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Bloodland (Kindle Edition)
I really don't want to be bothered with doing all this. I don't want to be rude but please No More!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull and cliched, 6 Dec. 2009
John Heavey (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winterland (Paperback)
Don't understand what the critics are raving about. This is dull, turgid stuff. Cardboard cut out characters, repetitive prose it's incredibly dull. By the end I couldn't care less what happened to any of the characters. I've just swapped the book in a second hand shop so can't quote directly but some of the paragraphs go like this "she got up from her chair. She put her phone on the table. She picked up her coffee. She blew on the cup. She drank from it and put it down. She looked at Mark. She put her bag down. etc. etc."

2.0 out of 5 stars very run of the mill........., 7 Aug. 2010
RT Twinem "freeloader" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winterland (Paperback)
A poor thriller characters very weak no depth...an english student could write better...so could I!! If you want an author that really rocks and makes you believe in the story unfolding before then look no further than A Quiet Belief in Angels by R J Ellory....now this is a story. Why is there so much poor fiction published and why do i read it :((

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 27 Nov. 2009
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Winterland (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tried tried tried to finish this book but I couldn't. I did however read 176 pages, so it's not like I gave up at the first hurdle. I didn't enjoy anything about this book but I can see how the plot would appeal to others - hence the two star rating and not one star.

Why did't I like it? It was as dull as dish water! It felt disjointed and just never seemed to flow for me. It felt like lots of small sections all lumped together without any adhesion. I didn't like any of the characters, which doesn't always bother me but I felt I needed to at least like the main female character. Now considering I've just decided I can't read any more and come straight on here, it doesn't bode well that I can't remember her name when I've read almost half of the novel.

This is a favourite genre of mine so it was with disappointment that I decided I just couldn't read any more.

Winterland
Winterland by Alan Glynn (Paperback - 5 Nov. 2009)