4.0 out of 5 stars Celibacy in the suburbs....? I doubt it
Hailing from the borough of Bromley myself (albeit growing up there in a different decade), this book has been on my "I really should read that" list for years. Having finally got round to it (the reading part took only a matter of days, you'll see why below) I thought I may as well do the book the courtesy of setting out my humble thoughts on it.

The pace of...
Published on 17 Sep 2009 by Pamela Learmonth

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked the parts about the Buddha of Suburbia, but not the rest
I grew up in Beckenham, the exact part of London suburbia in which this novel is set. To my knowledge it's the only time a novel has ever been set in Beckenham - in fact, it's probably the only time a novel has even mentioned Beckenham in passing.

So I very much enjoyed the opening chapters of the book, narrated by the teenaged Karim and telling of his father...
Published on 11 Dec 2010 by Andrew Blackman

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure and utter engaging brilliance, 8 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Buddha of Suburbia (Paperback)
I had to read this novel for A Level English Literature and am ultimately glad because I enjoyed every second of reading this novel, I don't want to give anything away but I really identified with Karim and completely loved all the cast of characters, all the predicaments and family tussles are explained so sensitively that you don't feel any resentment for anybody. The descriptions were very vivid and excellently written, it just transports you to a different world. I highly recommend you read it, it is unlike any other work of fiction I have ever read and I read . . . a lot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money..., 29 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Buddha of Suburbia (Paperback)
It's one of those books that's received more acclaim than it deserves, the reasons why it receives any acclaim at all leave me at somewhat of a loss. Whilst the book is averagely well written it lacks any insight and portrays a poor understanding of what growing up for ethnic children was like. The characters are poorly fleshed out and thoroughly dislikeable. The story line is weak to non-existent and the book is thoroughly pretentious throughout. I really can't see what attracted people to reading this at all. I think only those who are self proclaimed liberals and think there's something fashionable about being ethnic will enjoy this. Everybody else, stay away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 31 Oct 2010
Mr. J. E. Roberts (Portsmouth UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Buddha of Suburbia (Paperback)
The book arrived on time and in perfect condition. I have to review this for a Uni course and I must admit now that this book was hard to get through. It is well written from a descriptive point of view but the storyline is almost non-existent, and really is just 250 odd pages of utter pointless writing. I understand this book was critically acclaimed. I can understand why in 1990 this book as seen as "revolutionary" but really, critically acclaimed? Must have been a really slow year, or a boring one.

I imagine that you will either love this book or hate it. I hate it because of the lack of storyline, although some parts are amusing. It is a book that does not know what it wants to be.

If you have to read this book for school or Uni then be advised there is a companion book for the Buddha of Suburbia that talks you through all the useful bits of the story and has proved helpful.

I hope if you read the book you will understand where I am coming from. Best of luck!

1.0 out of 5 stars What is all the fuss about?!, 12 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Buddha of Suburbia (Paperback)
After reading the reviews for this book I expected a lot more! I found it simply crude, boring and with little story line. I do not often give up on a book but I had to with this one before it put me off books forever!

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter drivel, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Buddha of Suburbia (Paperback)
Why does everyone rave about this book? Absolutely pathetic. Critics quoted on the back cover go on about it being hilariously comic. I can confirm that I did not even titter once. Don't bother.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 9 May 2013
I found this book difficult to read and rapidly lost interest in it. It is crude in places and is not a book I would want on my bookshelf.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea!, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Buddha of Suburbia (Paperback)
A book club book - We followed a tedious journey through "the Buddha's" son's sexual awakening - and I'm not very interested. The father/Buddha was a far more interesting and colourful character. Not for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlike anything you've ever read, 9 April 2008
This review is from: The Buddha of Suburbia (Paperback)
A fair and balanced review would conclude that if you are conservative minded, prudish, not interested in music/popular culture and too sensitive to palate Asians engaging in homosexuality and drugs then the Buddha of Suburbia will hold no interest and maybe even repulse.
However if you're progressive & open minded in outlook, have a sense of humour, appreciate pop music/pop culture while also interested in the socio/political climate of late 1970s Britain and beyond, then this is the book for you - regardless of whether you're a `self-proclaimed liberal' or anything else. (Reviewed by a British Asian who could in fact relate to the book).

1.0 out of 5 stars I would not read this book again, only did as it was assigned for my course., 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Buddha of Suburbia (Paperback)
Distasteful novel, I really didn't enjoy the read. The language is rather vulgar and didn't find it a very morally straight forward book. Would not have read the whole thing if it wasn't for my English Literature course.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love balls, 7 Dec 2012
I liked th bit about balk and cumbersome detachment of life inn soulless England. Touch yourself over Charlie he's th first boy who've I've eve wants to bone yaaar
Ok

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

The Buddha of Suburbia
The Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi (Paperback - 8 Jan 2009)
5.32