5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully insightful and provocative collection of stories
Published on 5 Feb 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly disappointing
That was a book that offered nothing to me as a reader. Boring, no emotions. I kept reading with the hope that it will become more enjoyable after reading all the reviews but it didn't leave up to the expectations
Published 4 months ago by Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully insightful and provocative collection of stories, 5 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Drown (Paperback)
Junot Diaz has been hailed as one of a new breed of East Coast talents. His insight into the Spanish American experience in the US can be deservedly labeled as profoundly moving and richly complex. It is astonishing how little attention has thus far been paid to this element of American culture, but let's hope that Diaz's work will go some way to redressing this imbalance.
The stories in Drown focus on characters who have managed to survive domestic abuse, pandemic crime and crippling prejudice. Despite the recurrent and critically important theme of social dislocation, Diaz doesn't seek to simplify or patronize. His characters are individuals who make a convincing attempt to breathe beyond the pages of the book.
Diaz is a sympathetic narrator and his characters are emphatically three-dimensional. In the first story, told from the perspective of a young boy, his bullying and adulterous father is contrasted with his benevolent and loving Mother. However the father is not all beast and despite the misery he inflicts, the man is also full of a bitter regret for all that he has allowed to be lost between himself and his wife.
Despite their innate fragility, Diaz's characters have a revitalizing vigour. I think of the schoolboys who feel remorse for hunting and taunting the school freak, and the lover who regularly forgives his largely absent girlfriend who steals from him to feed her drug habit. These and other characters disappear, sometimes to return or more frequently indefinitely lost in a haze of pollution and dirt.
I recommend this book as an astonishingly effective piece of literature. More than this, there are, to my mind, few contemporary parallels. Buy it, read it, recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars voted best year after year, 16 Mar 2008
U. Sinha "Umi Sinha" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drown (Paperback)
This book has been on my reading list for a creative writing course I teach for several years now, along with Maya Angelou, Michael Frayn, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Jenny Diski. And every year students have unanimously proclaimed this the best written and most impressive book on the reading list. Diaz has an ability to make writing seem effortless and artless. His settings and characters are real, the situations believable and the narrative voice compelling. He does not pander to the reader, retaining Spanish words with no glossary but they are used in a way that makes sense in their context and they provide a flavour of speech and thought that takes us into his world. The only writer I could fairly compare him with is Raymond Carver - the same truthfulness and directness - but stylistically Diaz is the superior writer. Recommended for any aspiring writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Already a classic, 29 Dec 2006
This review is from: Drown (Paperback)
DROWN by Junot Diaz spoke to me like no other work of fiction that I've read in many years. It was the first time where I saw myself in the characters and felt that I knew them intimately. They were like my own family, brothers, cousins, mother and father that I could almost feel that the stories were right out of my own childhood.

Diaz's stories about Domincans in the Dominican Republic and the U.S. The stories perfectly capture the struggle with poverty in the characters' native country as well as the United States. But these stories are not didactic pieces but rather human stories about family, love, and loss. With characters so real, that the reader will wonder when they will see them again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great short stories, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Drown (Paperback)
I really enjoyed these short stories, a segment of literature that I have come to appreciate in recent years, not least thanks to the genius Alice Munro. I loved Diaz's language and did not necessarily want to have an English translation to each word. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gritty and wonderful at the same time, 4 Oct 2012
jacr100 "jacr100" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Drown (Paperback)
A set of short stories that moves from claustrophobic Dominican townships to anonymous diasporic New York.

Car sickness; dreams of a conventional future with a crack-addict partner; a boy's face savaged by a pig; a guide to interracial dating; stealing while delivering pool tables. These are nostalgic glimpses, but there is arguably enough interconnection for the book to count as a novel.

Broken families, poverty and drug culture give a gritty edge to the original storylines, and occasionally hilarious, occasionally poignant, always honest characters keep the reader close.

Lively rhythm, magnetic idiosyncratic prose: great modern literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars So familiar, 15 Dec 2012
Ms. S. A. Hammond (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drown (Kindle Edition)
I think most immigrants will identify with the stories in Drown. It clearly & truthfully describes experience s of immigrants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jealous, 25 July 2012
High Seas Drifter (On the road in Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drown (Paperback)
I'd love to write like this. The stories are evocative, touching and hilarious. I discovered Diaz on a recent trip through Central America, after picking up OSCAR WAO. That book deeply moved me, and this collection of short stories continues to. Having visited the Dominican Republic, I wish I'd met some more of the people, as Diaz paints beautiful portraits of them.

I'm lucky enough to have picked up enough Spanish over the years to have understood the dialogue without the need for a glossary. But if, as some have claimed, Diaz didn't want a glossary inserted in the recent addition, then this strikes me as a little shortsighted, despite the Spanish words lending music to the dialogue. For example, I'm sure friends of mine would love the stories but, without a glossary, they may give up on the book; that would indeed be a great shame, as writing like this deserves to be read.

I swap a lot of books after reading them, as I like to keep a concise collection. This book has been added to it. Some you just have to keep.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drown, 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: Drown (Paperback)
I previously read Oscar Wao and bought this as I thought I'd enjoy it. I've only read the first 3 stories and it is really difficult to put the book down, Diaz really does know how to grab a readers attention. I recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Drown (Kindle Edition)
This is simply beautiful writing. Stories about real characters, writing that takes you deep into their crazy lives until you feel as though you knew them. Also quite funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 24 Oct 2010
This review is from: Drown (Paperback)
A masterpiece of literary fiction. Diaz writes with not just remarkable skill and detail but also an ability to give his stories a low-slung hip-hop rhythm that no other writer in contemporary fiction possesses (as far as I'm aware). I've purchased so many copies of this book to give to people - it just must be read! And to think English is Diaz's second language!!!

Drown
Drown by Junot Diaz (Paperback - 6 Nov 2008)
5.59