on 4 June 2007
If you thought you knew everything, think again :P

After reading this book I know about 100 times more than I did before.

This book is filled with lots of little questions which you think you know the answer to - some of the answers are just to obvious, or so it would seem. One of the joys about reading it is having the ability to just pick the book up and open on any page and you'll be amazed by one fact or another

I won't give away any of the secrets within the book, but whether you are a fan of QI, whether you're not - it's a great book and well worth reading.
on 9 October 2006
I read the Book of General Ignorance over the week-end. Although I have hundreds of trivia books they all pale into insignificance against this brilliant work which I shall genuinely enjoy forever.

Trivia books leave you feeling you're lacking something. There's something frustrating about a three line `fact' which is unsubstantiated and unexplained.

The Book of General Ignorance is a completely different animal, it awakens curiosity, is hilariously written, illuminating and leaves you desperate to fascinate your friends and family with your newly discovered wonders of the world around us. For once you can explain the background to your discovery and WHY it is so.

A fantastic read, highly recommended.
0Comment|248 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 November 2006
The books is a spin off from the enormously successful BBC2 series QI. If you love the programme you will certainly love the book. If you have never seen the programme, you will probably still love the book.

For those people who enjoy trivia and most people do, myself included, this is a great book to sit down and relax with by the fireside on a cold winter's night. It takes commonly held beliefs and runs them full pelt through the shredder (was Santa Claus really Turkish).

The book is written in a witty way, and the great thing is that armed with all the new facts you now know, you could if you so desired win a few quid in bets and get the price of the book back. Now there's a thought.
0Comment|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 May 2007
A fantastic book stemming from the popular final round on the BBC's Q.I. series hoisted by Stephen Fry.

As a huge fan of the show I made this book a priority purchase when it became available and don't have a single complaint. Its very easy to pick up and start reading and as easy to put down after you've satisfied your factoid hunting brains!

Brilliant buy. And the series is one of the best shows on TV too - good work.
on 12 June 2007
I bought this for myself but my husband immediately pinched it as soon as I started questioning him on its content! It makes for lively dinner time discussion especially with all the controversial entries like Christopher Columbus wasn't Italian, America wasn't named after Amerigo Vespucci, and the most dangerous African mammal is the hippo! I've given it to several people for their birthdays and they've all loved it. Very easy to pick up and read a bit then put down as divided into brief paragraphs on each entry.
on 27 January 2007
An absolute cracking read. Both informative and hilarious at the same time. It is such a broad spectrum of topics covered that it'll appeal to everyone, whether they watch the TV series or not. I shan't spoil the joy of discovery for you but I'll recommend this book whole heartedly. In a market that seems saturated with apparently funny books this stands head and shoulders above the others.
on 8 October 2008
I really enjoyed reading this book and found it more than "Quite Interesting". Unfortunately though, if you are an avid fan of the television series like I am it offers nothing new. Most, if not all, of the material is taken from the series.
on 15 April 2008
The thesis of this book is that much of our `common sense' knowledge is made up of micro-myths, and most of these myths are mistaken. This is quite radical, if you think of it. If so much of the trivia of everyday knowledge is wrong, how much else of what we know for true is false? Maybe that's the appeal of such books, and this is a particularly good one with lots of random factoids I'd never read before, presented in a racy, engaging style. On the other hand it may all be a sad lad obsession (all the authors are male), appealing to the inner Mr Logic in us blokes. Chicken Tikka Massala was invented in Glasgow, Nelson never wore an eye-patch, we are only 60 miles from outer space (upwards), why biros are called bics in France...as my girlfriend kept saying when I informed her of such gems, "Sorry, why would I want to know that?"
on 15 April 2007
It should be compulsory to have a copy of this book available in every pub and club throughout the land. So many arguments could be settled in seconds! However trivial the facts contained in this book may seem at first sight I have had so many childhood 'myths' shattered, a disturbingly large number of which were sown in my young mind by teachers and others who should have known better. Highly entertaining and well written, it was easy to imagine Stephen Fry was reading the answers in his inimitable style. Faultless!
on 19 September 2007
Thoroughly enjoyable read from start to finish. Some strange and interesting facts that were for the most part fascinating. Well worth a read!