Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 July 2010
Ask pretty much any animator which book they recommend for the beginning animator (or even an experienced one) and they will tell you Richard Williams, The Animator's Survival Kit. This enormous (340 pages and bigger than A4) book starts with the basics, the bouncing ball, and moves right through to complex walk and run cycles. Other books on animation technique may describe the basic walk cycle and then have a page or two describing variations but Richard Williams has no less than seventy five pages on the walk cycle alone. He goes into: the basic cycle, weight, tempo, how to add character and emotion and sneaks, amongst other things. Other topics covered by this book include perspective, runs and jumps, breaking down animation, weight and pressure, anticipation, timing, dialogue and animal action. The version I'm reviewing is the original edition where the animal action section is quite short. I believe that the "Expanded Edition" had more in this section, getting deeper into animal walks and runs.

While this book is written for 2D animators the techniques are applicable to 3D, stop motion or any other kind of animation. While the style of the drawings or the handwritten style of the text may not be to everybody's taste, I think they add a personal touch to the book. I'm a 3D animator and I refer to this book all the time, it's my animation bible you might say. He goes into so much detail on every aspect of animating a character, illustrating each point with sequences of images and diagrams, that you can't help but learn something new every time you even just flick through it.

If you're going to buy any book on animation, make sure it's this one!
on 6 October 2011
I was given this book by my parents in preparation for an art course of six months. The amount of use this book saw as I flipped through it time and time, and time(!), again all but made it a calendar, chronicling my betterment as an animator over the six months of intense training and practice the course lasted.
This book helped me further my understanding of not only kinematic motion in general, but my understanding of specific anatomical tendencies and limb-movements inherent in all creatures.

Getting hooked on animation, I've now joined a three-year education to focus on the digital aspect of animation, and was on my first day of school given yet another copy - this time by the school (a highly reputable one I might add). Evidently, they thought it a sound investment to equip each and every student in the class with their own copy.

Needless to say I take a lot better care of book nr. two, but in no way are they behind my skill-level (nor will they ever be, I reckon).
They keep getting read, and they keep pouring out wisdom.

Truly, the defining word to describe this book, is "essential."
on 14 January 2010
I bought this book for my son who is studying Fine Arts and Animation. It arrived just in time to help him create his 10 seconds animation for academic purposes. He got an "excellent" mark and congratulations from his teacher. It has proved to be very useful.
on 7 November 2010
I am an animation student, and this book was on the reading list, it came early and so I read about one third of it. I understood it completely, and everything is explained very well. The diagrams are so helpful and the writing style is friendly and isn't over bearing. It's also really enjoyable to read and doesn't feel like an instructional book.
I'm a big fan of Richard Williams myself, and I salute him for such a great tribute to the technical side of animation!
on 15 August 2011
I was an animation student at uni, and this book was recommended to me by a class mate originally. I looked through his copy and then borrowed it from the library before realising this was a must have for me, I thought I knew a lot until I got this and realised how much I still had to learn.
on 17 November 2012
As a university student who is doing animation, I needed a book to give me all tips on how to draw and make some best looking animations, When my tutor referred me to this book I decided to check it out and I must say. I have no regrets from buying this book! Everything in this book is so detailed and explained so clearly!

Since I bought this book I can almost draw and animate anything compared to last year where I could barely draw a realistic looking stick man.

If you're doing animation, Do yourself a favor and buy this book!
on 8 July 2011
I bought this book as a present for a friend and I was pleasantly surprised when I received a very nice package with the book in perfect conditions. It contains a dvd and the quality it's very good, moreover then book is well presented and designed. It's well worth buying!! And my friend said this is the best book she's read about animation, so I take that information refers to the accuracy of the content.
on 6 June 2013
Useful, and clear, step by step diagrams. Great book. It is my go to guide on animation. This is my second copy after moving to Europe.
on 1 September 2015
5 stars straight up. I bought this after growing a fascination with 2D animation and decided to have a look. It really has the very basic stuff here, which is just what I was looking for. Some of the formulas I took a while to get my head around but it is done very well and super clear. This book is a must for anyone thinking about making their art "move". It will show you the basic but it will show it very well and in depth. If you don't get the foundation stuff well then you will be making life very hard on yourself.

This book has everything and more in it to get you started. I have already done the bouncy ball and am a little reluctant to start doing the walk cycle at the moment but I understand how to do it. Once you follow the formula you cant go wrong. The only problem is that I am not used to drawing "real" things so I will struggle a bit on that note. I usually draw detailed abstract images but I can still use this and learn how to draw properly.

Oh and by the way, this book is very large and heavy.
on 27 April 2013
I bought it for a friend and they were very happy with it. It gets 5 stars because of this.