Creatures of the Earth: New and Selected Stories
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£9.70+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 27 January 2007
The cover of the recently published hardback edition of John McGahern's 'Creatures of the Earth: New and Selected Stories' is greyish with a lightly coloured picture of the author looking out from it. This book was published in the autumn of 2006: the title story, appearing in print for the first time, was finished and included (along with another story never published before) in a revised selection of short stories, put together by the author shortly before his death last year. The book illustrated alongside the title at the top of this page has a blue cover with no picture and white lettering that describes it as John McGahern's 'Collected Short Stories' and is a different, much earlier publication first publlished in 1992 and containing many of the same stories, but in an unrevised form. I pointed out this confusion after ordering, as I thought, the new book with its title 'Creatures of the Earth', but receiving in response to my order a copy of the 1992 publication. I was thanked for my message, but am astonished to find the same confusing double message in place nearly two months later. While I am unable to speak too highly of the new book, which includes one of the most exquisitely heartbreaking portaits of a good marriage moving into the separation of death - the territory that McGahern was quietly forshadowing in his late novel 'That They May Face The Rising Sun' - I cannot do so without warning prospective readers that if you click on this title you may find yourself unwrapping the wrong book!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again