Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 August 2015
Four stars for the novel. I have not finished it yet but, I'm over half way through and enjoying it. I read the first Castagnetti book,"The Salati Case", purchased this on the strength of it, and will almost certainly read the next in the series. While some crime novels set in Italy have proved patchy, (and others, of course, rather good), Castagnetti is certainly a character I should like to continue to follow.
The book was described as being in very good condition. Such judgements are always rather subjective. I probably would not disagree too much with this were it not for a staining on the inside front cover and the succeeding couple of pages. Not enough for me to have returned the book or sought a refund but every time I see it I hope that it is something innocuous, such as tea and not something less palatable.
on 17 July 2011
This is only Tobias Jones second novel featuring Italian detective Castagnetti, but already building a strong character and style. Feel that Tobias Jones has a long and strong Castagnetti series buidling up. Important in it's own right, so no point in comparing with Dibden and Aurelio Zen, they are too different. Castagnetti is young but quirky, a beekeeper, has a slight limp from earlier violence, lives in modest surroundings, but dedicates himself totally to his case. Good characters, strong plot, recommended.
on 9 May 2012
White Death moves at a swift pace. The prose is expressive and the characters and scenes well penned. The plot is fairly straightforward, with some nice detail on property politics and deal making, and it has a nice twist, though I found the tension a little underwhelming at times and the ending a little sudden and underdeveloped. A few more pages would have helped to round the story off a little more. Overall, a very readable book and a solid second addition to Jones' series.
on 12 March 2013
Great read. Tobias Jones as usual knows how to entertain us with his great knowledge of Italy. a page turner!
on 25 August 2011
Throughly enjoyed this the second outing of the "detective".
Again a crisp storyline moving at a brisk pace.
Disappointed to once again to note the failings of the Italian lecal system - a common occurence in most Italian crime fiction
on 16 July 2011
This book is just very very bad. I think that I Keep buying Mr. Jone's books to satisfy my perverse curiosity as to how bad a book about Italy/set in Italy can be when the author knows so little about the Country.....and I have not been disappointed in my twisted pleasure. The book just reads awfully and is full of inaccuracies. I am looking forward to Mr. Jones' next book to see whether there is a limit to an author's self destructive presumption to write about something (in this case Italy) he does not know at all.