on 25 October 2010
Bought at the airport on the way to Montpellier, it was ideal for this Francophile to read on holiday. Lucy Wadham's experience of living in France, married to a Frenchman, her intelligence and her very British sense of humour make this book eminently readable as well as believable. It examines every aspect of French life in detail in a way no mere visitor could manage. It explains too our prickly relationship with our nearest neighbour. Absolutely engrossing!
on 26 April 2010
Re the book The Secret Life of France y Lucy Wadham; I used to live in Paris 20 years ago and was curious to hear how life is there now. This is the most up to the minute and relevant book I have read about life in France. It gives clear explanations of the political scene which are fascinating and easy to follow. I've recommended it to everyone and bought copies to give to all my francophile.
on 8 June 2014
wonderful insights into French culture from a unique perspective. This book is a must for anyone wishing to understand the French
VINE VOICEon 29 July 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is a really interesting insight into the life of Lucy Wadham living in France for about 30 years. I suppose, to get a real insight into what a country is really like you have to live there. Simply going on holiday is not a true representation of what a country is necessarily like and Wadham sets out to explain this in her book.

She covers everything from French marriage to divorce, from maternity in France to education for her children. It's a non-fiction book written in a really easy style that you can pick up and put down easily so is also ideal for holidays.

I spent quite a bit of time in France when I was about 18 staying with some 'traditional French families' who couldn't speak a word of English and have to say that even after a short space of time I loved these people and the French way of life and the way they really don't have a negative view on 'typical' English people like many of us perceive they do - like Wadham explains in her book. It took me back to my trips to France!
on 4 February 2012
a fascinating observation of the french from the perspective of an erudite brit. i say "observation" simply because i am not french nor have i lived in france so i cant comment on how insightful she is. the author writes well and her time up at magdalen college wasnt wasted. i would recommend it to any student of france or the english language and have done so to my daughter and her friends who are both.
on 3 August 2010
I spotted this item in a national newspaper, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book; very interesting facts of the French style of life, easy to read it, funny, and very entertaining. It was an uncomplicated very good read. I was pleased that the price of this item on Amazon was lower than the original price advertised in the newspaper.
on 14 September 2010
I am enjoying this book, as an Ex Pat living in France it is interesting to try to understand why there are the differences between the UK & France.

It is a serious study of the culture, with an amusing side to the presentation of the differences.

Well worth reading, I am sure mine will be handed around family and friends.
on 9 October 2014
An in depth look at French life, and particularly politics' over the last fifty years.
A very insightful analysis of the French mind set that offers a great deal of information
on the internal political tussles of our near neighbour, and their effect on us.
A great deal more than ' A Year in Provence' !!
on 26 June 2009
This refreshingly intelligent and thought provoking analyses of the French Nation has me enthralled.

A Francophile for over 70 years, Lucy's book has helped me to understand the quirks and kindness and occasional rudeness I have been willingly subjected to over the years and I would reccomend The Secret Life of France to anyone who wants a balanced and sympathetic guide to understanding and getting on with our ancient enemy.
on 1 January 2016