5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable
Published on 26 May 2012 by M. E. Gosano

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS DESCRIBED!!!
Published on 15 Dec 2011 by Iain E

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable, 26 May 2012
M. E. Gosano "Manuel" (Bristol, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matthew Bourne and His Adventures in Dance: Conversations with Alastair Macaulay (Paperback)
I was amazed to see that the rating for this book was only two stars. That was until I realised that three of the four reviewers were not reviewing the content!!!! They complained that the book was a paperback instead of a hardback as advertised. Well, it was advertised as a paperback when I bought it and I would have complained if I had received a hardback book as it is hard enough to lift it now!

The book weighs 2 lbs 4 oz, measures 9 1/4" long, 6" wide and over 2" wide, and has a whopping 737 pages! And Amazon are selling it for just 13. This has got to be one of the best bargains in town.

The reason it is a bargain is because the content is superb. As this is not a book I have the time to read from cover to cover, I have been just consulting the pages that relate to the Matthew Bourne work I am immediately concerned with. So, after seeing Nutcracker! on stage, I am reading the relevant pages. The book is in the form of an interview between dance critic Alastair Macauley and Matthew Bourne. We find out how how each work came into being, who the collaborators were, what changes and decisions were made along the way, in short, everything you would want to know and I am speaking as someone who knows little about dance. However, I did find out much more about the dances and the book really enhanced my enjoyment of the stage works.

After Nutcracker! I saw Bourne's Early Adventures on stage and, again, the book was very useful in finding out more about the dances. I have also now bought the DVD box set so the book will be useful when I get to the other works. The book covers work in detail up until Dorian Gray in 2008, including his choreography for musicals like My Fair Lady, Mary Poppins, South Pacific and Oliver!

Especially useful are the appendices. The first contains scenarios of The Car Man, Play Without Words, Edward Scissorhands and Dorian Gray. The second has examples of Bourne's pre-rehearsal notes for leading actors. The third has details of tours. The fourth is the most useful as it has detailed credits for each dance work until Lord of the Flies in 2011, including each piece of music used and the composer. Most useful.

To sum up, the content of this book is indispensable. Yes, the quality of the paper and many photos is not the best but that would have made the book even heavier and more expensive. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a hardback but very informative ., 15 Dec 2011
E. M. Mckenna "mandy" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is not a hardback as stated and the photo repro is not high quality but nevertheless it is fabulously informative if you are interested in Bourne's imaginative direction and choreography. I have learnt so much from teaching Bourne about staging, adaptation and interpreting classic narratives. This is a brilliant and inspiring book for students and should be bought with the box set of Bourne on DVD. We should be very proud of Bourne who came from a supportive working class background and has opened up dance to wide audiences. He operates without subsidy and is an example of how the creative arts can make money and contribute to our economy, deal with relevant personal and social issues and bring joy to the people.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Adventure, 11 Feb 2013
Anyone interested in Matthew Bourne and his superb Adventures in Dance should read this book. Not a straightforward biography, but a series of conversations in which the choreographer talks about himself, his ideas and inspirations - and the way he works to bring his masterpieces to the stage for all to enjoy. A fascinating book, beautifully illustrated, which I shall dip into again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining, 30 Jan 2013
Ms S. M. Hildred "redcat" (york.uk) - See all my reviews
It is very informative and entertaining, as a "conversation" type book, but I personally,would gve preferred it as a biography, as a story of his life, and the history and develpments of the company.In this format, it seems fragmented.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS DESCRIBED!!!, 15 Dec 2011
I have just received this book, and as the previous two people who have left feedback before me (just logged on and found this when i went to leave my feedback) the book is NOT the hardcover as clearly described in the advert and all the paperwork i receive. This was a christmas present and i am extremely disappointed that it is not the hardback or as good quality as i expected. I hope that this does not spoil the read.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not a hardback, 12 Dec 2011
I am not reviewing the content of the book - I merely wish to point out that this book is not a hardback. At first glance the reproduction of the photos look quite poor. The content may be brilliant (I haven't read it) but I have bought it as a present and it is not as described.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matthew Bourne, 13 May 2013
I have always been a fan of Matthew Bourne and could not resist purchasing this book when I found it! It was fantastic value for money and looks to be a great read. It arrived in very excellent condition and the packaging was very protective. It also arrived within agreed timescale.
Would highly recommend the seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 9 Feb 2013
This is a good product. I like it. This is a good product. I like it. This is a good product. I like it. This is a good product. I like it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 8 Feb 2012
I thought the book looked good from its cover - but I guess there's a reason behind that saying! The book is an absolute tome - about 3 to 4 inches thick of fairly hefty text analysis of most of his works. The paper quality is not very nice (quite grainy) and the black and white photographs (in print on the same type of paper) do not do anything to enhance the book. It could have been so much nicer! I bought it as a gift and had serious thoughts about not giving it but the recipient seemed quite happy. I can't really comment on the content as I didn't even attempt to read it. Yaa boo sucks.

13.60