5.0 out of 5 stars page turning hair raising fast paced fantastic!!
Published 21 months ago by none

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly abysmal
I normally try to see the good in any story, but in Shadowmancer there is nothing. It remains to be my most hated of novels, and here is why.

Published 12 months ago by Kim Dyer

5.0 out of 5 stars page turning hair raising fast paced fantastic!!, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Shadowmancer (Paperback)
Two things, its been a very long time since i read any of this author but what stuck in my mind was how good they were. I'm a seasoned adult so not the target audience, but i would reccommend to anybody, the author draws alot on theology, and the occult that being the enemy, not as obring as it sounds. There were times i was genuinely scared reading this, and with more depth twists and turns than a deep twisty thing. Sorry this review is not so detailed like i say its been a while (10yrs) but a good read. I found my self really caring about the characters, very evocative writing, you really feel like you are there. i remember sitting up by torch light to read it on holiday so as to not disturb my husband. Dont be put off by the lack of reviews, if you liked pullman and rowling you will enjoy this, however i don't think the comparison with HP is that helpful, it s a different book completely.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly abysmal, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Shadowmancer (Paperback)

The story is flat and exceptionally uninteresting, hardly building in pace throughout the story and leading to an utterly anti-climatic conclusion. Many plot threads are thrown into the story at random, often being abandoned without any kind of adequate explanation to why they were their to begin with. The end result is a story that just seemed muddled and often contradictory.

The characters are also utterly flat and possessing of no interesting personality traits. They do absolutely nothing to impress themselves on the reader and I often had difficulty telling one from another. Its female lead is by far the worst of the bunch as her plot arc actually causes her to unravel rather than develop - starting her off as strong character and having her grow increasingly ineffectual as the story progressed.

Worst of all was the heavy-handed religious message which lacked any kind of subtlety. The general message that the novel gave was anyone who did not believe in the Christian God was possessed or otherwise deceived by demons. The novel reads as little more than an evangelical pamphlet, as numerous characters are converted through Raphah's 'compelling arguments'.

Abysmal literature. I would not recommend this novel to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great and atmospheric read!, 25 Feb. 2014
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Shadowmancer (Paperback)
This was another very atmospheric and super read from G.P. Taylor for me - and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It's the second great book I've read by this author; the first being the fabulous `Wormwood'. (see my review for that title) My one and only gripe with this was that so much of the story subtly related too much to the bible and Christianity beliefs - without actually mentioning or referring to them directly I felt. I do prefer my fantasy and sci-fi reads to be totally independent from those subjects/topics, but at times I felt I was reading something vaguely `religious' which I don't recall feeling with the previous read. However; this is a tiny gripe, and did not deter too much from the great read that it was, and am already looking forward to my next read from this great Writer!

Another Five Stars from me!

3.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter meets Moonfleet, 19 April 2010
M. Asher "FRSL" (Kenya) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadowmancer (Paperback)
After all the hype about being 'the next Harry Potter', this book proved a bit disappointing. It's a sort of cross between Harry Potter and the old 'smuggling' novels like Du Maurier's Jamaica Inn and Falkner's Moonfleet, in which the vicar always turns out to be the bad guy. But I'm not sure how much the gothic undertones really fit that milieu - the magic seems a bit out of place among smugglers and pistols. The other thing is that, if you're comparing it with Harry Potter, the characters aren't as engaging or well worked out - there's a lot more description and details but somehow it doesn't quite hit the spot. My daughter quite enjoyed it, though, so I'm giving it 3 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars The writer is quite brilliant.., 10 Aug. 2014
Garry S. N. Dean (New York, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadowmancer (Paperback)
The writer is quite brilliant... at self-promotion. He's a genius at banging on about how he's "the new C.S. Lewis" and "hotter than Potter" when both are laughably untrue. This is story is a collection of paper-thin characters racing about in a pointless plot, with occasional pauses for Christian worship. There's simply no story there and the writing is toe-curlingly bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 24 Feb. 2009
Nell (South East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadowmancer (Paperback)
Defiantely one of my favourite books while growing up. It is interesting, a little scary and inspiring.
A book for both boys and girls of all ages!

2.0 out of 5 stars A book telling us to believe in God., 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Shadowmancer (Paperback)
a good, interesting story, might appeal to teenagers, I'm an adult and enjoyed it....except for the Christian content. Yes, this is in the fantasy / adventure genre, but this book is essentially about believing in God, and that believing anything else is the work of the Devil. Because of this, I would not recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Shadowmancer (Paperback)
This book had good reviews and I was excited to buy it for my two children but neither of them liked it and said it felt 'dark' in its content.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, 4 April 2015
Mr R M Milburn (Huntingdon, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadowmancer (Paperback)
Literally dreadful (pun intended!) One of the worst books I've ever read.

Shadowmancer
Shadowmancer by G.P. Taylor (Paperback - 7 Jun. 2007)