5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most exciting books I have ever read!
This has to be one of the BEST books I have ever read!! From the beginning, this was immediately exciting.

Published on 3 April 2008 by FAMOUS NAME

1.0 out of 5 stars Confused, preachy and full of dislikable characters
I was pleasantly surprised to find that 'Wormwood' was far more enjoyable than 'Shadowmancer'. However, most things in life are better than 'Shadowmancer' and so that's really not much of an endorsement.

Published 3 months ago by Kim Dyer

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most exciting books I have ever read!, 3 April 2008
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Wormwood (Paperback)

Somehow the settings appear in the mind like those of a '3D' backdrop - not unlike those experienced when playing a video game, or reading story book adventure - unreal and sublime. The streets and buildings are atmospheric, and they capture both the reader's interest and imagination instantly. Full of atmosphere with good and detailed descriptive prose - tremendously flowing with intricate detail, that is yet so easy to follow and understand.

One of the most exciting parts for me being when Agetta is climbing the stairs to the attic to meet whom she finds to be a fallen angel called 'Tegatus'. It's almost as if one is climbing the stairs right beside her!

I was constantly transported when reading this novel, and each time I broke off and came back, I would be disappointed at finding myself back in my own home! I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it will take a long time to forget it!

Definitely a MASTERPIECE!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Service!, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Wormwood (Paperback)
Was happy to find it was delivered within 2 days (although it said within 3 to 5 days), Brand new and packed with care couldn't be happier! I will now enjoy reading this book with a nice cuppa tea XD

1.0 out of 5 stars Confused, preachy and full of dislikable characters, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Wormwood (Paperback)

While I liked the general idea of the plot, I felt that Taylor did not use it to its full effect. The slow descent of the comet, gradually causing London to fall to chaos, could have made for a dramatic and suspenseful story. However, Taylor seemed to largely forget about this until the climax and instead pursued numerous sub-plots which went nowhere - often petering out without resolution and never doing anything to explain the gaping holes in the main plot. The ending is also very abrupt, the entire climax taking less that twenty pages and leaving many loose ends hanging.

Although less out-and-out preachy than 'Shadowmancer', the novel also had a heavy message that both science and the Kabbalah are evil, and that the ongoing search that mankind has for knowledge/power is gradually damning us all. While this did not irritate me nearly as much as Raphah's pagan bashing in the previous novel, it also did not make me warm to the novel. I don't really enjoy books that try to make me feel bad about reading them.

Finally, the characters in this book are exceptionally dislikable. None of the cast - angels included - were altruistic in any way, instead going out of their way to either hurt others or further their own selfish ends. I could not get behind any of these characters at all and found myself not caring if they lived or died.

In short, this was not the book for me at all. I can see little appeal in it and certainly won't be recommending it to anyone.

Wormwood
Wormwood by G.P. Taylor (Paperback - 7 Jun 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01