5.0 out of 5 stars Inventing a bestseller!, 31 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Inventors (Paperback)
I wasn't sure what to expect from this first novel by brothers extraordinaire Alexander Gordon Smith and Jamie Webb, it's always tempting to ignore the hype and look for a books faults when it's dubbed the 'next big thing'. But w had this book as our bedtime read (my daughter is nine and my son is eleven) and for the last few days we've been later to bed than usual cause we just can't put it down! It's just pure adventure and excitement, with a plot that just steamrolls its way from start to finish and which leaves you on the edge of your chair (or the bed, in our case). It's full of great inventions, cool heroes and a terrifying villain, plus loads of chases and action scenes. The book's quite long, but it's so exciting that you've raced through it before you even notice. Both my son and daughter are fighting over who gets to read it next, but I might just confiscate it myself!

Really highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 30 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Inventors (Paperback)
This is most certainly the best book I have read in a very very long time, and I read a lot of books!

A great, exciting, thrilling read for children and adults alike (i'm 26). I was hooked from the first page and couldn't put it down. With a clever mix of fun, witty characters, characters you can relate to, and characters that just make you want to hide under the duvet there is certanly something for everyone in this new book.

I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Inventors (Paperback)
The Inventors is a brilliant example of creative writing with plenty of laugh out loud jokes along the way. The two children Nate and Cat think it is the opportunity of a lifetime when they get a scholarship with the best inventor on the planet but they soon find out that all is not what it seems the two inventors will be staying at Saint Solutions for a year along with 23 of the brightest minds in the country, but the master inventor is not happy with the world he lives in he is a power-crazed maniac that could only come from the heads of Alexander Gordon Smith and Jamie Webb. The story is funny as well as being serious The plot is extremely suspense-ridden and this is a book to remember

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this for Christmas!, 9 Dec 2007
This review is from: The Inventors (Paperback)
Im using my dads computer because I think everyone should buy this for Christmas, and get it for your friends too and all your family. Its the best book ever! Amelia Barber

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book, 7 May 2007
This review is from: The Inventors (Paperback)
I've just finished reading this book, it's really cool. It's scarey sometimes and quite sad but it's funny too, especially when Nate and Cat's inventions go wrong. They are really good friends and they do everything together, even naughty things like turning their headmaster blue. Its so funny when they make the spy specs and all the names are wrong, even my Mum laughed when she read it. This book is realy exciting because you never know what's going to happen next and all the inventions are so amazing, especially Clint the robot. I'm nearly ten and this is my favourite book that I've read so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 7 April 2007
This review is from: The Inventors (Paperback)
I got a copy of this for my ninth birthday last week and have just spent the last three days glued to the pages. It's so cool! Froget Harry Potter and Alex Rider. Well don't because those books are great too but this one is just as exciting and loads funnier too. Some of the inventions are amazing, and my favourite is the robot Clint who is this tiny robot with four arms who is always getting into trouble. I love Saint too because he is really funny but really scary too. I hope they write an Inventors 2 because I really want to know what happens next!

4.0 out of 5 stars Max says: "I liked it", 10 April 2014
This review is from my 8 yr old son, Max:
It is interesting and fascinating. It has lots of exciting inventions-like the cloud of steam that is a spy camera. I liked one of the main characters ,Nate because he was cool. Nate and Cat are best friends and make lots of exciting inventions, they win a scolarship by inventing a camouflage machine- They go to a famous inventors complex for a year but things are strange and go wrong.This is a good book for 8+ There are lots of pages, words and no pictures (apart from the front cover).It makes good bedtime reading.There is a second book and I am going to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Easy reading, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Inventors (Paperback)
I just fancied a little light reading and so I purchased this with the idea of just reading a few pages each day. Three days later and I had finished the book and was looking forward to the sequel. This is a book that all young people will get straight into. It resembles charlie and the Chocolate factory, but has some nice twists and turns that you do not see coming. Lots of good dialogue and interaction. Just what you need to cheer yourself up on a cold winter night. Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the top 5 books I've ever read, 12 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Inventors (Paperback)
A Kid's Review - A great book! It's about two 11 or 12 year old genius inventors who are in a competition to be one of the the 23 best inventors in the world. The winners will get to work with the most famous inventor of all time. The Inventor seems very nice at first. It turns out he's an evil man who wants to detroy the world and reinvent it with no people and only clones with his inventions ruling the world. The kids must destroy him but it's not as easy as it seems. On their way they encounter many amazing inventions and make some of their own. The book may be hard to follow but if you can it will be the best you've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Inventive, 4 May 2007
J. N. Smith (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inventors (Paperback)
A wonderful book. Absolutely riveting from start to finish. Smith and Webb have succeeded in creating a bizarre world, which is so believable; reading this novel is actually quite upsetting! I was hooked from the first page onwards and had that strange feeling....come the conclusion of the text, that I wanted to it to go on for ever and ever.

Well done.

It just begs the question when's the film and more importantly the sequel coming?

The Inventors
The Inventors by Alexander Gordon Smith (Paperback - 5 April 2007)
5.66