5.0 out of 5 stars Chance discovery
Published on 10 Jan 2010 by G. Hughson

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear
This promised so much. Not bad short stories but the potential was wasted in arty variations of old folk tales and the usual stories of depressing guilt so common in modern Irish short stories. Lots of lovely writing but a bit too much. Too arty.
Published on 16 Jun 2011 by RL Cloherty

5.0 out of 5 stars Chance discovery, 10 Jan 2010
G. Hughson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walk the Blue Fields (Paperback)
I had never heard of Claire Keegan and picked up this book by chance in my local library, from their 'quick choice' section. I love it, and having read and returned it to the library, I decided to buy a copy for myself. I don't usually read short stories, but have a new appreciation for them now - I found these stories completely involving, and one or two even made me shed a tear on the train to work. I would definitely recommend this - and in fact have done so already.

5.0 out of 5 stars A favorite book of mine., 26 May 2008
J. Phelan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walk the Blue Fields (Paperback)
I bought a copy about a year ago. I have read it a number of times since. It contains beautiful, authentic stories that manage to reveal the human condition without taking a bath in a pool of misery.

I loan out lots of my books, most never to be seen again :), but this one I will not part with, insisting my friends buy their own copy. Buy it, read it, enjoy it, keep it.

4.0 out of 5 stars World class, 22 Oct 2007
This review is from: Walk the Blue Fields (Paperback)
Keegan's stories are beautifully honed and sparse. Her first collection, Antarctica, is good, but this collection propels her in to the big league. All the stories here are crafted masterfully and speak of damaged people and lives and loves lost or regained. I really think she is a world class short story writer who, on this evidence at least, belongs in the same company as Raymond Carver, or Alice Munro. The great Irish short story has found a huge new lease of life with Keegan's emergence.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, 16 Jun 2011
RL Cloherty (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The author's name on the cover says it all, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Walk the Blue Fields (Paperback)
Beautiful. Never read a dud by Ms Keegan yet and imagine I never will. She is a tory-teller of absolute craft.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short story collection, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Walk the Blue Fields (Paperback)
I am not a fan of the short story form, and only bought this as it wasa reading group choice. Given that, I would say they are well written stories, and generally well liked by our readin group.

5.0 out of 5 stars The writing is breathtakingly stunning, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Walk the Blue Fields (Paperback)
I have read all of the author's books but this probably was my favourite. It is written with such insight into it's characters and their contexts that it took my breath away.
That the author comes from the community that she writes about gives her short stories a greater depth and understanding.
Each story speaks of the personal stories and tragedies of individuals and there is a poignancy and sense of abandonment
as well as laughter and joy woven through. The books title," walk the blue fields" is one of the saddest stories, yet beautiful whilst "The long and painful death" is quite dark.

I loved the images of country life and the stories about dancing were real gems ; you could see them dancing on the pages and hear the music!! a truly gifted writer

5.0 out of 5 stars delivered as promised, 28 Dec 2012
V. Keeping (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walk the Blue Fields (Paperback)
This book has been highly praised by critics and I felt their comments were spot on anyone who enjoys short stories get to read this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Claire Keegan, 20 Dec 2011
This review is from: Walk the Blue Fields (Paperback)
Leading Irish writers ? Colm Toibin, Willam Trevor, Colum McCann, John Banville, Joseph O'Connor. Anne Enright, John McGahern and surely Claire Keegan who deserves to be included in this list. A great literary talent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 6 Mar 2008
This review is from: Walk the Blue Fields (Paperback)
Beautifully written. Very well-crafted and honed prose. The stories simply sparkle and resonate in the memory. It's of little surprise that Ms Keegan is so successful in the prize winning stakes and deservedly so! The only reason I didn't give it a 5-star - I wasn't all that fond of one story "The Parting Gift" and its 2nd person narrative POV.

Walk the Blue Fields
Walk the Blue Fields by Claire Keegan (Paperback - 1 May 2008)
8.07