5.0 out of 5 stars Special book, beautiful story
Published 18 months ago by MancBaby77

1.0 out of 5 stars So disapointed
I love these stories & was so excited that at last some of Lucy Boston's Books are on the Kindle. Was so disappointed that it has Books One & Three WHY miss a book :( I have returned it in disgust & live for the day when all the books are on the Kindle.......
Published 1 month ago by Kindle Ebook Lover

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Special book, beautiful story, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Children of Green Knowe (Paperback)
This book is so special to me, it's hard to write a review without becoming teary eyed! I first came across this book when I was a child,- after seeing the BBC dramatisation, I wanted to own it. I actually booked this book out of the school library and never returned it !! (I did that a lot with books I couldn't bear to part with!) I read it over and over.....and was fascinated with it. It's such a beautiful story , and for some reason, I decided I would read it every christmas....and so I did! Over time, my copy had started to fall apart....I can't throw it away, but had to buy a readable copy! I am now 35 years old, and still, this book comes out every christmas! I will forever treasure this wonderful book !xx

5.0 out of 5 stars stands the test of time, 18 Dec 2013
I read this to my daughter many years ago , I saw it and thought I would read it myself again , its still one of the besr christmas stories I have ever read .

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 25 Oct 2013
I have known Lucy M Boston's work for many years. Her writing is high on the list of children's authors for content, style and an ability to transport the ordinary into the extraordinary with the reader unaware of the shift. My children, now all adult, loved all her books, and I have just enjoyed rereading this collection, although I am now a pensioner. You only need the will to suspend your belief in reality. I pity anyone who does not know her works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a classic for any agegroup, 28 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Children of Green Knowe (Paperback)
This was a childhood favourite and its good to know that 25 years later it still retains the magic, lovely tale of young boy Tolly coming to live in a big rambling house with his grandmother and the spirits of children who lived there centuries ago; this is one of those timeless classics, good writing and lots of detail, as an adult I love the way the child and the old woman are equals in their joy over the house, grounds and history. This is the book I will give to friend's children when I think they're old enough to appreciate it. Perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 30 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Children of Green Knowe (Paperback)
My 9 year old read and enjoyed this story. We live near to Cambridge so thought she would like to read something local. She did enjoy it, but has not yet asked for any others in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good story about what happens when the supernatural meets the real world at an old Manor, November 1, 2007, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Children of Green Knowe (Paperback)
ke others reviewers before this, I'm rather surprised how obscure this wonderful, quirky book truly is.

The story revolves around Toseland, a young child who goes to live with Mrs. Oldknow. He goes to live in a big manor in a country estate (think the estate the Pevensies go to live on in Lewis' THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDOBE). He soon realises there's something odd about the house, and is puzzled why Mrs. Oldknow talks about the history and past inhabitents of the place like they were around only yesterday. It turns out the house is inhabited by children of the past, and he learns of an evil gypsey named Green Noah who he ultimately must confront. This final confrontation is rather scary, and Green Noah is one of literature's most memorable villains that I've encountered in a long time.

The book is a rather charming blend of supernatural meets reality, and there is something very delightfully English about the whole affair. The author's Catholocisim is rather apparent n the book, and she fits a lot of different allusions to literature, music, and history.

For those looking for good Children's fiction, this is a powerful story. It's too bad it's not well known.

5.0 out of 5 stars granchildren loved it, 15 Mar 2014
C. E. Mintern "oldman mo" (watford england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Children of Green Knowe (Paperback)
short book , so it kept them interested . so now I read this book.good for old persons like me who have to finish books in a short time incase they pop their clogs before finishing the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book ........, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Children of Green Knowe (Paperback)
Had this as a child and brought for my 8 year old , she loved it , and now lol, my 13 year old son is amazed by it ....

1.0 out of 5 stars So disapointed, 17 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Children of Green Knowe, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Children of Green Knowe (Paperback)
Lovely book for children - interestingly based on a house which exists and can be visited - we enjoyed the TV series, unfortunately not available now.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb4f6d87c)

The Children of Green Knowe
The Children of Green Knowe by Lucy M. Boston (Paperback - 5 Oct 2006)
4.49