5.0 out of 5 stars Auster is a genius
This book is always the first title I recommend for those readers that have yet to read any of Paul Auster's work. It is both literary and utterly readable and I cannot imagine anyone reading this and not enjoying it.
Published 15 months ago by Gemma E Davis

2.0 out of 5 stars Felt like one story that was nearly finished
Had potential, didn't live up to it.

Felt like one story that was nearly finished, and then two different stories, that weren't finished, shoehorned in.
Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Auster is a genius, 17 Jun 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars This One Grows On You, 22 Oct 2009
Mr. Peter Steward "petersteward" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mr Vertigo (Paperback)
My second Paul Auster book and this one grew on me the further I read. It's a very unusual story about a young boy in the USA who is taught to levitate. I don't want to give too much of the plot away but it follows his successes and failures, high and low spots. In many ways it read like a surreal tale.

There is a typically gritty American feel to the story. At first I found myself having little sympathy with the characters but once I got to know them I began to empathise. It's a world of gin palaces, brothels, gangsters, hucksters, baseball players, but a place where love and compassion and friendship win through despite murders and killings. There is an underlying goodness about the story despite the inherent violence.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dizzying, Dazzling, Dynamite Novel., 9 Nov 2007
Mr. B. A. D. Plowman "Brendan" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mr Vertigo (Paperback)
This is the second novel I have read by Mr Paul Auster, and it will certainly not be the last. MR VERTIGO is a fabulous adventure story that shook me by the scruff of the neck and invaded my dreams.

It is one of those books that one is loathe to put down, as the story has definite narcotic qualities. I suffer from insomnia, but found it bearable as I was reading MR VERTIGO, as I could simply leap out of bed and continue to consume this marvellous tale!

And what a tale it is - a tale about childhood, lessons learned, endlessly dreaming and achieving those dreams, maturity, love and loss, folly and redemption. Hell, I'm waffling - It is a book about being ALIVE.

On finishing the book, I felt elated and satisfied but was already starting to miss these larger-than-life, highly colourful characters: Walt the Wonder Boy, Master Yehudi, Mother Sioux, Marion Witherspoon, Aesop - each character lovable and posessing their own kooky charisma.

Now I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms from MR VERTIGO. My solution? - To read more Auster! I read THE BOOK OF ILLUSIONS prior to VERTIGO (also excellent, though not quite as consistently dazzling as this book). Now I intend to go back and explore the earlier works of this master storyteller.

I'm glad I discovered Paul Auster. So will you be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic from Master Auster!, 14 Oct 2008
Michael Murphy (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mr Vertigo (Paperback)
Magic emerges from Auster's writing in this picaresque tale of the rise to fame - and the subsequent decline - of Walt Rawley, "ragamuffin, from honky-tonk row", unwanted by his charge Uncle Slim. Walt's world is transformed beyond belief when a mysterious stranger, Master Yehudi, makes him an extraordinary offer: to teach him to fly.

Under the fierce discipline of Master Yehudi, Walt is subjected to a harsh regimen of rigorous training, a series of gruelling endurance ordeals, each trial marking a step towards his ultimate goal of mastering the art of levitation, walking on air. Technique perfected, Walt hits the road with Master Yehudi, on tour across America, dazzling audiences coast-to-coast with his amazing displays of "anti-gravitational feats" that, though implausible, are convincing in their description and detail - and marvellously entertaining! Auster elucidates the mystifying technique of levitating so smoothly and plausibly that we are ready to suspend our disbelief and slip easily into the world he creates. Public acclaim turns Walt into a national celebrity: known as "Walt the Wonder Boy", he is now the master of his art.

Walt's powerful narrative, recalling in old-age events that took place many decades before, takes us on a fast-paced trip through 1920's Americana - Lindberg's solo flight, to cite but one example. Walt's astounding breakthrough feat of levitating over a small pond in Kansas (at precisely the same time as Lindberg's historic flight across the Atlantic) is a metaphor for American spirit and enterprise heralding an age where there are no limits to what may be achieved. ("It was as if the sky had suddenly opened itself up to man") On the road to stardom, Walt runs into trouble involving a Ku-Klux-Kan lynching and a kidnapping by mean-and-nasty Uncle Slim who, rankled by Walt's astonishing success, hankers after a slice of the rich pickings he thinks Walt is raking in following his new-found celebrity status.

The latter part of the novel marks a dramatic downward shift in Walt's fortunes far removed from those heady, intoxicating days when he was "an unstoppable force" taking America by storm. Alone, moving into old-age, Walt is rescued by the sudden idea of writing his story - this book. Go with the flow! Enjoy the trip! And the magic of Master Auster. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good read, 5 Nov 2007
K. Jones "karl_lanc" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Vertigo (Paperback)
I have read numerous books by Auster and his abillity to grip the reader with a story that would sometimes not as be as interesting or as worthy in the hands of a lesser skilled writer is astonishing. To me this book and many of his other tales are about the journey rather than the quality of the story. This book is my favourite of Auster's work, it is a wonderful, simple, yet intruging story of a young boys jounrney through life and into a wierd and wacky world. Read this book with an open mind and you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Mr Vertigo (Kindle Edition)
I love Paul Auster and this is a favourite of mine, it almost has you believing it's possible to do

5.0 out of 5 stars None, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Mr Vertigo (Kindle Edition)
I'm glad this has the highest rating of all of his books because it is a truly unique, brilliant and moving story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Mr Vertigo (Paperback)
I've never directly answered that question "What is your favourite book?" as there have always been too many to choose from, but in my book, Paul Auster has beaten them all with this one which I found to be truly outstanding! He grabs you from the beginning via the voice of the narrator who pushes you along an incredible journey upon which you have absolutely no idea where you are going but you do know that you cannot stop. This is story-telling at its best, with every word crafted to turn every page in awe. Each character is brilliantly depicted through tough times where the highs and lows of their lives will pull at your heart strings and have you literally sobbing uncontrollably. My advice would be to read it slowly to make it last longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Mr Vertigo (Paperback)
A lovely American tale that tells quite a story. Easy reading - liked it a lot. Quaint and unusual. Have a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars magical, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Mr Vertigo (Kindle Edition)
Auster's dizzyingly simplistic prose is more captivating than ever. For me his strongest novel to date and thankfully resists stepping into the metaphysical like he does a bit too often for me. Great!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mr Vertigo
Mr Vertigo by Paul Auster (Paperback - 5 Jan 2006)
6.29