5.0 out of 5 stars Auden the Accessible
Published on 22 Dec. 2009 by J. Rivers

1.0 out of 5 stars This was not the book that I thought I was ...
This was not the book that I thought I was ordering. The 'Look Inside' shows a completely different book with many poems. However, the book that arrived was a 'Poems selected by'....Be warned, do NOT order this book by what the 'Look Inside' shows - because it is not what you will get!
Published 5 months ago by Miss Colette L R Rhodes

1.0 out of 5 stars This was not the book that I thought I was ..., 1 Dec. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Auden the Accessible, 22 Dec. 2009
J. Rivers (U.K.) - See all my reviews
For half a century I have skirted round Auden, apart from some short and well-known lyrics; I feared the longer ones were a bit dry and demanding. Then I agreed to teach him to adults. I bought a 300pp ''Selected'', and then a ''Collected'' up to the mid-50's but kept falling between stools as we all uncovered poems we liked individually but which were never to be found across all collections.

This 900pp. US edition is a huge boon tho' it takes 2 weeks to arrive.It reveals the whole arc of his writing life, his precocious early intelligence, his polymathic interests, how adventurous his emotional and sexual experiences were.... What emerges is a profoundly benign approach to human life, an experience that can be improved but never perfected, and that improvement is effected by facing and integrating our demons and uncertainties.. His poetic obituary to Yeats in 1939 ends:
'' In the deserts of the heart
Let the healing fountain start,
In the prison of his days
Teach the free man how to praise.''

Towards the end of his life he wrote 'Thanksgiving for a habitat', celebrating his house in Austria. Twelve poems each evoking a room and a particular friend who'd stayed there with them. It's a humane, erudite sequence that leaves one with a delighted smile on one's face.

Even here it is not a complete Auden. There are some pieces the editor has not 'selected in' and some are not in because Auden disowned them. This includes the magnificent reflections on the coming war - 'September 1st, 1939'. A final observation - Auden was a fine reader of his own work, not over-emphatic as an actor might be, nor dead-pan as some poets seem to be as if to be animated might reactivate the stresses from which the poems originally emerged. It's worth hunting down some CDs. I found two - "The Spoken Word" - WHA - British Library/BBC.

John Rivers

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Helpful, 7 Jun. 2012
This review is from: W. H. Auden: Poems (Poet to Poet) (Paperback)
Having read the other reviews of a 900+ page book for Auden I thought this was going to be a bargain. Added to this confusion was the Amazon "Look Inside" feature which actually shows a different book, what the hell for I have no idea? The reality is that the John Fuller edition contains less than 100 pages and certainly NOT the 900 bumper thing I was expecting. So be warned, the John Fuller selected edition is NOT recommended when clearly there are better selections out there. Don't fall into the same mistake I did and order this pointless flimsy edition, look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Auden. What's not too like!, 17 Dec. 2013
This review is from: W. H. Auden: Poems (Poet to Poet) (Paperback)
An interesting and personal collection of his poetry. The odd favourite is missing, but considering the width of the available choice, a worth while addition to any library.

4.0 out of 5 stars WH Auden, 23 Nov. 2012
This review is from: W. H. Auden: Poems (Poet to Poet) (Paperback)
I bought this anthology of Auden's poetry for my poetry reading society - good choice of poems although could have had a little more information.

5.0 out of 5 stars not just for four weddings and a funeral, 17 April 2013
This review is from: W. H. Auden: Poems (Poet to Poet) (Paperback)
Show's there's more to Auden than the poem from Four Weddings and a Funeral. Good introduction and poems you can understand. What's not to love?

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, 29 Mar. 2013
This review is from: W. H. Auden: Poems (Poet to Poet) (Paperback)
The 'Look Inside' version of this collection actually seems to pertain to the now out-of-print Mendelson 'Selected Poems'. From a teaching point of view, in trying to locate an collection that actually contains the required poems for the IGCSE CIE course for students, this is incredibly lax of the publisher and constitutes false advertising.

5.0 out of 5 stars A way with words!, 3 Jun. 2005
B. Jonsson "Literate Warlock" (falun, dalarna sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: W. H. Auden: Poems (Poet to Poet) (Paperback)
Auden's poetry is one that you can understand. Down-to-earth,it
easily find it's way into my heart.
Most of us already knew "Funeral Blues", but there are atoher gems also.
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Collected Poems (Hardcover)
excellent product

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed for my degree, 19 Oct. 2013
This review is from: W. H. Auden: Poems (Poet to Poet) (Paperback)
Auden's poetry is simple and easy to understand, which is somehow refreshing, yet to me it's missing some lyricism. Good book - I needed it for my degree anyway but I doubt I'll be flicking through it for pleasure.

W. H. Auden: Poems (Poet to Poet)
W. H. Auden: Poems (Poet to Poet) by W.H. Auden (Paperback - 7 April 2005)