Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 January 2013
When I was 12 my cousin's boyfriend lent me this book. I am now a scientist and I think this was a real turning point for me (although I didn't realise it at the time). Superbly written for the intended age. At age 12 I was able to correctly answer all the questions in the back of the book which are actually quite hard (I don't think I'd get them all right now without rereading the book). As an adult I couldn't remember the name of the book but after a bit of searching I managed to find it and I have now bought the set. Would definitely recommend this.
on 31 December 2010
The three books are well written and understandable by children and adults. They are stimulating to the young mind and can help the older person to remember science that has been forgotten.
on 5 August 2011
I wish I had books like this during my childhood. I read this book to some 10 and 11 year old children in the school I worked in. On the whole they enjoyed the book although on occasion I needed to reread a section or explain it again before they understood the passage;which is fair enough when following a fairly complex train of thoughts. The descriptions of time and space dilation near light speeds are clear and well written. The chapter showing that you can never catch up to a photon of light was inspired. The book takes the main concepts and introduces them with care and explains their ramifications and slowly builds up idea by idea to the fully explained special theory of relativity. The use of a female protagonist Gedanken was refreshing and the incidental episodes helped to split the more difficult physics conceptualising into more manageable chunks. It is a good insight into how ideas based on known facts can evolve into hypotheses and eventually theories.
Although not all the children followed all the science they at least have some idea about Einstein and they did enjoy the adventure.
An excellent book.
on 5 December 2015
This book uses a story to present the general theory of relatively etc. I thought the story part of it got in the way, and is looking a little dated now. The theory sections are well written, if your child is interested in science, I would just get them to skip the story parts! Good for 8-12 years.
on 29 October 2015
I gave it FIVE stars! I'm more of a biologist / chemist at heart but this book is SO charming and engaging....I think I've read it about SIX times by now (highlighted all the relevant passages) AND I did the quiz. Excellent read! With ditzy Gedanken and even ditzier Uncle Albie! :-)
on 17 November 2014
I read it before giving it to the 10 year old boy. Very informative facts found in nicely accessible concise stories. 8 stories in total and around 20 pages per story - just right for 10 year old kids (and older!).
on 12 March 2016
Loved reading this and the others in the series to my kids, looking forward to reading them again when they are a little bit bigger and might grasp a few more concepts.
on 27 October 2013
I bought this as a prize because i think it's really good. Aimed at children, it is actually quite useful for adults too! i hope the recipient enjoyed it.
on 11 December 2015
Excellent and very informative for me as an old adult, not sure whether eleven year old grandson will love it as much if the ideas are new to him.
on 21 January 2013
He enjoyed this hugely. .Finding books for my grandson is v difficult as his reading ability is above his age