4.0 out of 5 stars A Stimulating Read, 31 Dec 2010
A. G. Boon "Film Buff" (Stevenage, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time and Space of Uncle Albert (Paperback)
The three books are well written and understandable by children and adults. They are stimulating to the young mind and can help the older person to remember science that has been forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars The reason I'm a scientist, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Time and Space of Uncle Albert (Paperback)
When I was 12 my cousin's boyfriend lent me this book. I am now a scientist and I think this was a real turning point for me (although I didn't realise it at the time). Superbly written for the intended age. At age 12 I was able to correctly answer all the questions in the back of the book which are actually quite hard (I don't think I'd get them all right now without rereading the book). As an adult I couldn't remember the name of the book but after a bit of searching I managed to find it and I have now bought the set. Would definitely recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Einstein for children, 5 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Time and Space of Uncle Albert (Paperback)
I wish I had books like this during my childhood. I read this book to some 10 and 11 year old children in the school I worked in. On the whole they enjoyed the book although on occasion I needed to reread a section or explain it again before they understood the passage;which is fair enough when following a fairly complex train of thoughts. The descriptions of time and space dilation near light speeds are clear and well written. The chapter showing that you can never catch up to a photon of light was inspired. The book takes the main concepts and introduces them with care and explains their ramifications and slowly builds up idea by idea to the fully explained special theory of relativity. The use of a female protagonist Gedanken was refreshing and the incidental episodes helped to split the more difficult physics conceptualising into more manageable chunks. It is a good insight into how ideas based on known facts can evolve into hypotheses and eventually theories.
Although not all the children followed all the science they at least have some idea about Einstein and they did enjoy the adventure.
An excellent book.

4.0 out of 5 stars good introduction to time and space, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Time and Space of Uncle Albert (Paperback)
I bought this as a prize because i think it's really good. Aimed at children, it is actually quite useful for adults too! i hope the recipient enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandson's present, 21 Jan 2013
A. D. Dyer - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time and Space of Uncle Albert (Paperback)
He enjoyed this hugely. .Finding books for my grandson is v difficult as his reading ability is above his age

4.0 out of 5 stars Uncle Albert's Time, 3 Sep 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Time and Space of Uncle Albert (Paperback)
Having just written a short story on a similar subject for my grandson's future - he meets Albert Einstein in "za vormhole in za space" and also travels to the island of Príncipe near Africa to watch the solar eclipse of 29 May 1919 with Arthur Eddington to prove the general theory of relativity - I enjoyed the book. A kindred spirit.

With a fast-paced story, using a female main character (very unusual in itself), he investigates some of the more challenging aspects of Einstein's Relativity theories. Learning can be enjoyable and often we learn a great deal without knowing it; in general, this book achieves that in a very difficult and challenging area of science, although, on occasions, the didactic purpose peeps through the story.

Enjoyable but, for the less willing reader and less scientifically inclined, an adult's involvement could help, i.e. bedtime reading. I'd also recommend the adult to read it first to make sure nothing catches them by surprise. Relatively speaking, it's verging on rocket science.

(I am now off to buy Lucy and Stephen Hawking's books on the same and similar subjects.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Time and Space of Uncle Albert (Paperback)
Arrived promptly and exactly as described, thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Think Thought Experiments, 27 July 2012
This review is from: The Time and Space of Uncle Albert (Paperback)
A really good read for youngsters that have a scientifically inquisitive mind. Also useful for those that are looking for inventive ways to explain such difficult concepts.

Buy the set!

Personally I think this is the best of the three if you are only looking to buy one of them.

The Time and Space of Uncle Albert
The Time and Space of Uncle Albert by Russell Stannard (Paperback - 7 April 2005)
4.79