Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 February 2012
I bought this with The Iron Man and the Iron Giant (DVD). I had already seen the DVD so I knew it was good and the book didn't disappoint. Can't say the same for this though.

I thought the Iron Woman was just a sequel but I didn't like it at all. I read it to my 8 year old son and it was just weird. He didn't really get it and I thought the way it was written (Ted Hughes knows how to write!!)could cause nightmares. It was a bit too green in a sort of militant eco-warrior way.

I would recommend you read it yourself before you give it to a pre teen.
on 5 July 2015
Not very appropriate for younger children, as it is very alarming(and not alarming about pollution but a vengeful, evil woman!).
The eco-terrorist kind of message is also disturbing, as is the subliminal message that industrialisation is evil in some way.
The kind of factory that is written about here also is an extremist view of how goods that we consume each day are produced.
The fact that people enjoy these goods, they make our lives easier/better in lots of ways, and provide employment ,enrichment of our lives is rarely mentioned. So, a very one sided view of the world that tries to "use" the success of the Iron giant to "sell" its own bias.
The very fact that Hughes uses the word "iron" in this and the previous novel, is hypocritical- did he not know how iron is mined and produced?????
on 25 March 2011
It has a nice environmental message for the younger generation but it lacks the humour and warmth of the first book.
on 1 March 2016
it was ok i guess but i didn't understand it and it was a bit strange and wierd. i read it myself and some exciting things happened but it was no way as good as the iron man.
on 7 August 2014
Very good book, great description and cool illistrations, infact the best I've seen. The set out is good to. I recommend this book for 9-15.
on 5 April 2013
My daughter read Iron Man at school and loved it she had to read the rest of the books.
Recommended for around 8 +
on 3 April 2013
Loved reading this as a child and had wanted to re-read for years. Excellent little book, would recommend to anyone
on 13 February 2011
I bought this book for my 8 year old Granddaughter and read it before giving it to her. It's a classic tale very well told. I think it would appeal to children of a creative mind who like to be transported into realms of fantasy.
on 17 August 2015
Came promptly and were as promised on description.
on 21 April 2014
Well, sequels are never as good as first time round.....this didn't capture the imagination of the kids like the Iron Man. Chapters and descriptions tended to drag on far too much for them. Stick with the first one...a classic little book