5.0 out of 5 stars Bold, simple storytelling
Published on 6 Oct. 2008 by John Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a bit boring for my son!
The start couple of chapters captured the attention of my son; however, the latter chapters included much of a slower pace, and my son wasn't too excited.

Having said that, the book is indeed classical and included much science fiction; however with current 'modernism' science fiction seems much fictional than before!
Published 12 months ago by Ahmed Elmahdy

5.0 out of 5 stars Bold, simple storytelling, 6 Oct. 2008
John Williams (Apeldoorn, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Iron Man: A Children's Story in Five Nights (Paperback)
I never read this book when I was a boy, and my children missed out on it too. I read it for the first time recently, and this weekend tried it out on my two grandchildren aged five and seven. They've never heard of Ted Hughes, and don't know what a poet laureate is, but they know a good story when they hear one. They came down from the ceiling, sat still and quiet, listened spellbound for the duration, then went happily off to sleep. The next 'night' I only had to mention The Iron Man and they were ready for it. What more could you ask from a children's book? The 'nights' are just long enough for reading to children as bedtime stories, and the language is simple enough for youngish children to be able to read it themselves. Even granddads can enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 6 April 2006
I first read this book when I was at primary school, and 25 yrs later, still love it to this day, I even read it to my daughter when she was younger and she got hooked from the first page as he was introduced with the famous into "Where did he come from?nobody knows" This book is a classic in my eyes and im sure other readers agree.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Iron Man, 3 Jun. 2003
Class 3J (Penmorfa School, Prestatyn, Denbighshire) - See all my reviews
The Iron Man is wrtten by Ted Hughes and is a story. It is about a monster called the Iron Man and a dragon called the Space Bat Angel Dragon. Hogarth is a little boy who makes friends with the Iron Man and helps him save the world. It is set in Australia and other parts of the planet Earth. The best bit is the ending but we won't tell you about this as we might spoil it for you. We think it is a great book and it is suitable for children in school from 6-8 years of age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book, 10 Nov. 2010
A Kid's Review
The moment I started reading this exiting, brilliant, fantastic book, I knew that I was going to love it! The Iron Man is very annoying to the farmers, but when a scary, black, colossal dragon lands on earth and only eats living things, the people of the world start to worry. Who will save the universe? I love this wonderful book, it's the best book I've ever read and I rate it 10/10!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Iron Man review by Wings six SFA group, 3 Oct. 2014
Our class has been studying The Iron Man in SFA (literacy lesson):
Ted Hughes, the country's most popular poet, is the author of a book named The Iron Man. The book was originally called ' A children's story in five nights'. Ted Hughes wrote the book for his children after their mum had committed suicide. The book is a mixed genre: science fiction and fairy-tale. If I were to describe it, I would say it is unputdownable.

"How far had he walked? Nobody knows. Where had he come from? Nobody knows. How was he made? Nobody knows”. This quote makes the reader wander what will happen next and hooks most people.

The Iron Man is filled with poetic language. This is no surprise as Ted Hughes is primarily a poet. Here is an example: ' He picked up a greasy black stove and chewed it like a toffee.' By choosing such fantastic language Ted Hughes paints a vivid picture in your mind.

In the first paragraph of chapter one, Ted Hughes has created a sense of mystery when we are introduced to The Iron Man. At first, The Iron Man seems to be the bad guy but throughout the story, the reader starts to notice that he's the one who could save the world from the terrifying Space Bat Angel Dragon.

Overall I absolutely loved the book. I would definitely recommend it for any people any age. Once you have finished the book you will realise that it teaches a lesson. If you are an action type or fairy-tale type reader I would definitely suggest you read the book.
Some other people also thought this:
After reading The Iron Man I felt that, Ted Hughes should have included better vocabulary. He shouldn’t have kept repeating himself because with some words it doesn’t make sense. Over all I think that almost all the books I’ve read are better than The Iron Man. Although I would recommend The Iron Man for old and young readers who enjoy poetry.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple and Powerful Book, 7 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
Unpatronising and lyrical prose make this a book that begs to be read aloud, the repetition of phrasing and short sentences mean it has a true poetry to it. There are wonderful and enduring images, helped by the pen and ink illustrations that just bring the book to life. The strong ecological slant is very pertinent to today's reader but there is so much more to be got out of this book with very little effort at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Iron Man Childrens story in five nights., 12 Dec. 2012
I purchased this for my 8 yr old grandaughter who was writing about the Iron Man at school. I read it myself as soon as it arrived! She was very thrilled and learned quite a lot and was able to answer a lot of the questions about the Iron Man before they had completed the project at school.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Iron Man, 15 April 2011
We have used this book all week in our literacy lessons and we have really enjoyed it! It is good for your imagination and Ted Hughes uses lots of different language features to make his book interesting. Especially short sentences, which build tension - we used these in our writing to make our writing more successful.
The book is about a boy called Hogarth who discovers a huge man made out of iron - the Iron Man!
It leads the reader on an adventure with Hogarth and the Iron Man, involving a bunch of farmers, a hungry Iron man who eats their farm machinery and a problematic Space Bat Angel Dragon!
It is an adventrue not to be missed. We would reccommend this book for any age as even our teacher enjoyed it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 15 April 2013
Paul Baker - See all my reviews
This is what my 7 year old son thought in his own words after reading it: I like it when the Iron man falls off the cliff and when he fell apart at the start of the book. To find out what happened next you have to read the book. A very good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Iron Man - better than I remember, 4 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Iron Man (Hardcover)
I could not resist getting this beautiful edition of this classic story for my 3 year olds Xmas, as it was my own personal; favorite as a youth.

It is an absolutely gorgeous edition (to the point that we both checked for jammy fingers before reading) of a wonderful classic yet as prevalent as ever story.

The production, artwork and design are amazing; from the slightly abstract graphics which we both adore to the lovely traditional cover material. Many of the pages are protected by greaseproof paper and that adds to the quality and feel of it. Stunning images in rich colours run throughout the book and fold out wide spreads are used effectively to illuminate some of the key moments in the fantastic tale.

Story wise: well you should know it and that it is a classic. If not then you should be buying it. The tale is timeless and wonderful and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

My wee girl was transfixed, filled with suspense and recalled the night before's action in minute detail. As the story is in 5 parts it is ideal to spread over a week, with enough in each section to satisfy a wee girl who doesn't want to go to sleep and an old dad who does.

Any home with a child should have a copy of this story, and this particular edition is noteworthy for its fine style and feel.

The Iron Man: A Children's Story in Five Nights
The Iron Man: A Children's Story in Five Nights by Ted Hughes (Paperback - 3 Mar. 2005)