5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Mick Jackson, 15 July 2005
David Williams "sadman" (Rugby United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ten Sorry Tales (Hardcover)
This book will appeal to parents looking for a good book of tales to read to their children, to children looking to read independently and there is plenty to entertain adults alone.
The ten tales highlight the quirky side of life, with excellent illustrations to accompany the tales, including an illustration of the author himself.
For me Ten Sorry Tales took A Roald Dahl type tale (twits, matilda) and developed it further.
A great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ooooooo, 20 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Ten Sorry Tales (Hardcover)
I bought this book on a review in one of the Sunday papers although when I received it, I wasn't sure whether it was intended for adults or children. Perhaps that doesn't matter as I think both will enjoy it. It is nicely presented and the illustrations suit the stories very well. The stories are a mixture of dark and disturbing through to rather comical and I wanted to cheer out loud after reading 'The lepidoctor'. All in all, a very entertaining (if short) read and I shall certainly be investigating Mick Jackson's other books having read this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A First Rate Collection of Short Stories - Every One is a Gem, 10 Nov 2012
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ten Sorry Tales (Paperback)
Mick Jackson's work is nothing if not eclectic. I first read; The Underground Man, because my cousin went to school at Welbeck, where the story is set. I found it totally intriguing and loved the book so much I went on to read his book, Five Boys, which I really didn't like much at all. When I came across this volume of short stories I was slightly concerned as to what I might find. As it turns out I absolutely loved these tales. The illustrations lend the work a rather appropriate Edward Goreyish feel, and the stories themselves are just perfection. They are whimsical, dark, funny, clever and always unexpected. This is the best of his works I have come across so far and I recommend it unreservedly. I particularly loved the story Alien Abduction. It is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but sharp, 12 April 2012
This review is from: Ten Sorry Tales (Paperback)
What a splendid collection. I particularly enjoyed the story in which the mean-spirited horse features. It's a horse that certainly knows how to push people's buttons (and pull them). Check out Amazon's 'Look Inside' feature for this book and scroll to the back cover. A very accurate synopsis... so if you find that intriguing then buy the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Ten Sorry Tales (Paperback)
I loved this book. It was everything I hoped it would be- morbid and sinister but with good narratives to back it up. I loved 'The Hermit' and 'The Lepidoctor' particularly- the first because it was horrible yet, in a way, justified, and the second because of the glorious striking image at its centre of a dead butterfly like a broken watch, intricate and mendable. The illustrations, although few, are also wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maccabre, Mental and Marvellous!, 15 April 2007
This review is from: Ten Sorry Tales (Paperback)
I grabbed this from a book shop just before I was about to catch the train for some light reading that would stop me going mad on the journey. I had no idea I'd picked up such a good book. Im not totally sure whether this book is intended for children or adults but I thought it was enchanting. The stories go from the light hearted 'The Alien', with mass child rebellion and the 'Lepidoctor' about a young boys attempt to save thousands of lives with a antique. To the darker stories such as 'Hermit Wanted' which actually has you quickly looking over your shoulder as you read it. It's brilliant little collection from Mick Jackson which in sometimes put you in mind of Roald Dahl. Really worth a look. It's a wee bit short but Sorry Tales is a gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this for an adult? is this for a child? And does it matter?, 21 Dec 2010
This review is from: Ten Sorry Tales (Paperback)
What an interesting writer Jackson is. I read his empathic, dark and funny The Widow's Tale earlier this year, marvelling at his ability to get into his female narrator's psyche. Then I picked up this book of quirky dark stories, beautifully illustrated by David Roberts' detailed, textured line drawings. I've only just realised that 'The Widow's Tale' Jackson is THIS Jackson.

What we have here is a sort of Cautionary Tales for Children married with the way certain authors use fable to write for adults - The Book of Lost Things. I think there's stuff here to delight a child being read to, and the reading adult will also find subversion for his/her own delight in its pages, whether or not there's a child to share the reading with.

These are not MORAL tales, or tales of instruction, unlike fairy tales of myth. What they are is a celebration of the anarchic, and the eccentric, whether its a child-stealing wild man getting his own back on aspirational sophisticates, the boy who loves butterflies pitted against the conceptual artist with no empathy, or the problems of dealing with the bureaucratic nightmare caused by a group of schoolchildren upholding the rights of extra-terrestrials. And funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten excellent tales, 2 Feb 2009
This review is from: Ten Sorry Tales (Paperback)
Ten excellent short stories, all a little odd and some a little macabre but every one a little gem.

Ten Sorry Tales
Ten Sorry Tales by Mick Jackson (Paperback - 6 July 2006)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available