5.0 out of 5 stars An unusually enchanting and cherished read
Published on 9 Jan 2004 by S J Hamilton

3.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for Tim Burton's fans
Published on 5 Aug 2010 by Sofia Romualdo

5.0 out of 5 stars An unusually enchanting and cherished read, 9 Jan 2004
This collection of poems are essentially short stories about misunderstood children, outcast from society and mentally tortured by their abnormalities. Such characters include “The Boy with Nails in His Eyes”, “The Pin Cushion Queen” and “Jimmy, the Hideous Penguin Boy”. Each short story portrays the loneliness and sadness, which consume these characters as they struggle to find compassion, love and acceptance in their lives.
Each story is simply, yet beautifully illustrated by Burton who designs the sets, costumes and mise-en-scene for his films in the same intricate manner. The illustrations are almost childish but provoke a feeling of deep sorrow in the reader. Each illustration is roughly coloured with faint watercolours enhancing the fragility and innocence of youth in these individuals. . In contrast to the saddening drawings, the poems are surprisingly funny in a twisted, typically Burton-esque way. The stories are a complex combination of humour and tragedy, disguising deep and serious subtexts with a light hearted mask.
Although this book has the appearance of an illustrated storybook for children, the macabre subjects of the stories and satirical humour can only be fully appreciated by adults. But it is the childlike and innocent nature of the book which makes it such an unusually enchanting and cherished read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, Quirky & Strange !, 21 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy: And Other Stories (Paperback)
"The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories" is a collection of 23 poems written and superbly illustrated by Tim Burton - the director of, amongst other things - "Sleepy Hollow", "Beetlejuice" and "The Corpse Bride". It features a number of characters such as Oyster Boy (obviously, I guess), The Girl With Many Eyes, Stain Boy and Anchor Baby. For the most part, the poems are very short - many are only a few lines long, while "The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy" is pretty much the longest in the collection. There are a few others - like "Robot Boy", "Anchor Baby" and (my favourite) "Mummy Boy" - that make it past a couple of pages.

There's a pretty gruesome thread running though the book, plenty of strangeness and a smattering of sad and / or lonely characters. While I wouldn't describe it as scary, I wouldn't neceaasrily recommend reading it while eating cheese just before going to bed ! Fans of Burtom's films - especially "The Nightmare Before Christmas" - should enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars An alternative outlook for an outcast generation, 26 Jan 2004
Tim Burton's book was a gift this christmas, and although I wouldn't have picked this myself I must say I am incredibly impressed with this little book! Tim Burton may be known for his original/twisted approach to his film-making, and his book is no exception. The short, illustrated collection of poems are appealing on so many levels. Essentially about the cruelty of other children and your own parents, the drawings are heart wrenching and very emotional, despite it's slight stance. In fact the more you read this book, the more you can find something to stir up memories of an adolesent era that was both painful and unjust, and yet appreciate and savour the survival into adulthood. Then, as Mr Burton likes to remind you, invariably you become a parent and start the whole cycle of love/desire/betrayal all over again. Enlightening and satisfying, I recommend this book to anyone who has been through their teenage years, or is currently suffering them!

3.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for Tim Burton's fans, 5 Aug 2010
This is a collection of short stories in the form of poems and illustrations, and they all follow children who happened to be born different. Unnaturally different. The stories are tragic, sometimes cruel, but they all have a little humor thrown into them, so that the result is quite charming. My favourite story is the one that gives the book its name, the one featuring Oyster Boy.

This was an okay book for me. I preferred the illustrations over the poems, since I didn't find them all that special or brilliant (even though there were plenty of metaphors for real world situations). Still, this is a pretty little book that is worth having, specially if you like Tim Burton, though I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone who isn't familiar with his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well wicked book!, 10 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This book was great, i couldn't put it down, I know that's what they all say but I really couldn't. I love Tim Burton's stuff he really has a vivd imagination, very abstract. Buy this book now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just go and read it a hundred times!, 27 Dec 2006
tiw "tiw" (Amsterdam, NL) - See all my reviews
"The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy: And Other Stories" is a book for which you can say "I have read it more than a hundred times!".

And indeed you will.

Sometimes simple is more complicated, it also leads the art to be more everlasting in our minds.

The simplicity and harmony I find in Tim Burton's creations is one of that kind.

Every single word echoes in my mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and macabre , just how we like Tim burton., 1 Jun 2006
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This book is genius. Great little poems with dark, yet hilarious illustrations. I buy this for all my warped friends so we can laugh together. I defy you not to laugh at the girl who takes her eyes out to rest them after staring too much, buy it and see what I mean!

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars dark,weird,humourous ,tragic,nostalgic, it says TIM BURTON, 18 Nov 2000
By A Customer
My first experience of Tim Burton was when I saw the first Batman andI loved the style of his work.After that I saw The Nightmare Before christmas and it blew me away!! I have recently purchased oyster boy & other stories and thought it was Tim Burton in a book . He teases us with such works and your always hungry for more with his eerie endings .The characters are just sad looking misfits and are troubled like so many of us in life,but their troubles are far from normal and you just have to grin at their misery.His drawings are just so unique! oyster boy and other stories brings out the child in me makes me want to write my own tragedies long and short!All I have to say is MORE PLEASE TIM BURTON.!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

5.0 out of 5 stars Rantings of a Tim Burton lover!, 20 Jun 1999
By A Customer
As this is my first ever encounter of actually READING a book by Tim Burton I found it quite strange, yet altogether fascinating at the same time. I almost felt as though Jack, pumpkin king was reading the text. Tim Burton writes as well in books as in his films and I am now a dedicated fan! A lot of my friends have commented on the books adult humour and it's 'sickness', but I found it amusing, heartwarming, dark and macabre, all the things you would expect from a Tim Burton book. A fabulous book!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, but splendid!, 14 Nov 2004
By A Customer
The ratio of the price to the number of words you get from this book is terribly high. One may think this is kind of a dishonest way of publishing. However, if you look into the contents and you will see that it is actually worth buying it. The stories will 'haunt' you (not too much in such a terrible way) as they are absolutely weird. The illustrations are also very well-done so as to get you into these strange short stories easily.
Tim Burton's unique style has been fully reflected in this dark but splendid piece of work. If you like his movies, you will like this book and will hang on to it forever.

ARRAY(0xaf383f30)

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy: And Other Stories
The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy: And Other Stories by Tim Burton (Paperback - 18 Nov 2004)
6.29