VINE VOICEon 5 May 2004
Rarely have I been so disappointed by a book. The Moth Diaries is written in the style of the diary of the whiniest teenage girl ever brought into creation - and it works. You end up loathing the author's petty jealousies, whinging, melodramatic nonsensical behaviour. "multiple personality disorders" the foreword says, "disassociative disorder." Someone seems to have forgotten to put any evidence of such things in.
So we have our nameless loathsome little brat who dislikes the new popular girl Ernessa. She decides, because they are studying classic vampire texts like Carmilla in class, that Ernessa is a vampire. Y'know, coz she's from Eatern Europe and has an accent. Whether or not Ernessa is, we as readers couldn't care less. The narrator monopolises so much of the text we know very little about any other characters. Her boarding school chums are divided into cliched categories - the clever one, the sporty one, the ever-dieting one, the rebellious one. Yawn.
Like a real diary, the narrator talks only about themselves and never anyone else. But they say nothing interesting. We know nothing about the narrator bar her self-centered immaturity, and nothing about her friends other than their ridiculous names. This isn't a book about vampires, psychological horror or even a story at all, but it's a fine example of how to balls up a diary-style novel.
on 29 January 2006
I read this book early last year and I really loved it, truely was gripped. I loved everything about the mystery of what was actually happening, and just everything. This has to be one of my favourite books.
Not entirely sure what this book was actually about and a it worried that it was just too clever for my brain to comprehend. The main character was a bit of a moaner who spent a lot of time obsessing over the fact her friend had a new friend and didn't really seem bothered by things that should have upset her like people dying. That said it was quite compelling and I was keen to finish it. It might be the case that I simply need to think about it a bit more before I really get the point of it.
on 24 September 2012
I didnt really understand this book... It wasnt what i expected it to be. I was disappointed with it. I wouldnt recommend it
on 13 September 2012
i am currently reading this book and I am finding it a bit hardgoing. i am thimking: who? and what? quite a bit and I still have a lot left to go.....