5.0 out of 5 stars Istanbul: Memories Of A City, a life part-visited
Near the opening of Istanbul: Memories Of A City, Orhan Pamuk suggests that "at least once in a lifetime, self-reflection leads us to an examine the circumstances of our birth", to examine family, identity and origins, perhaps to find if we might have deserved better. Thus this master prose applies his art, his skill to weave an intricate and detailed tapestry of a city...
Published on 25 April 2009 by Philip Spires

3.0 out of 5 stars Istanbul: full in contradictions as a city and as a book!
When I bought this book, I thought it is a memoir where the story of Istanbul is told as a part of the author's life. However, when I started reading it, I found it something different. I do not know what the word that should describe this book is, but I did not find it a memoir or a story of a city.

The book holds all the contradictions that you see in...
Published on 9 July 2011 by aya

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe he likes the misery?, 16 Dec. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Istanbul (Hardcover)
I bought this book to take on a recent visit to Istanbul. It's a miserable read. It explains that the Turks have a word for feeling good about feeling bad-Huzun (translates as melancholy, and the 15 pages of chapter 10 are dedicated to it!). The most used word must be melancholy. It is very self-indulgent and goes on and on about the author's (basically unhappy) upbringing.
It is filled with monochrome, uncaptioned photos.
His repeated use of lists really grates after a while.
Read the blurb on the rear cover "The dilapitated little neighbourhood shops packed with despondent unemployed men, the crumbling city walls like so many upended cobblestone streets, the entrances to cinemas that begin, after a while, to look identical, the pudding shops, the newspaper hawkers on the pavement, the drunks that roam ....[list continues].
Imagine this extended to 330 pages!
I struggled on to the end.
I learned so little.
There was no feel-good factor in this book.
I cannot commend it to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars awful..., 6 July 2011
This review is from: Istanbul: Memories of a City (Paperback)
I have never not finished a book before, but I just couldn't do it. I did not sympathise with the character at all, in fact, I thought he deserved everything he got - although I didn't actually finish it, after 320 pages of reading about him whine and feel sorry for himself, I started to feel pretty suicidal myself.

1.0 out of 5 stars from a library???, 6 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Istanbul: Memories of a City (Paperback)
Just received the book, I noticed it was from the Kent County Library. I was really surprised! Please let me know how to return the book because I don't want to collaborate with this kind of activity.

Thanks in advance,

(sorry for my poor English)

Istanbul: Memories of a City
Istanbul: Memories of a City by Orhan Pamuk (Paperback - 6 April 2006)