5.0 out of 5 stars For Poetry lovers
Bought as a stocking filler for my train buff hubby. The poetry is not just for train enthusiasts though and is a good read - in fact it took me ages to let is go and wrap it!
Published 17 months ago by Jilly

1.0 out of 5 stars Poetry in locomotion - but very few songs
Published 13 months ago by Peter Durward Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars For Poetry lovers, 21 Dec. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars For memories of travelling days., 11 April 2014
This review is from: Train Songs (Hardcover)
It was recommended to me, and I found your edition cheaper than any other. Travelling often by train, it was of interest. John Betjemen and Michael Portillo helped.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Train Songs (Hardcover)
If you like poetry and you like trains then you should like this, I haven't read it but bought it as a gift and received good feedback

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 7 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Train Songs (Hardcover)
Fabulous--trains , poetry and lovely art deco cover. What's not to like ?
I am very happy with it thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars Poetry in locomotion - but very few songs, 11 April 2014
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Train Songs (Hardcover)
If this book had a different title, without including any mention of songs, it is likely that I would have bought it anyway eventually, and I might have enjoyed it for what it is - a collection of poetry with a railway theme. However, the title of the book grabbed my attention and made it a priority buy for me, because it raised my expectations. I enjoy poetry occasionally and have reviewed several poetry books, but my interest in poetry is not as high as my interest in train songs and books about trains. I therefore found the title of this book very appealing. Alas. it's just a poetry book.

I identified three songs - two anonymous (Midnight special, Working on the railroad) and another by Tom Waits (A train song). If there are other train songs, I missed them. The co-editors of the book provide an introduction that makes no mention of songs, and I suppose it is possible that they only ever intended this to be a poetry book that happened to include the occasional song, and somebody else chose the title. No matter - I bought a book as a high priority that would have been a low priority for me because of a grossly misleading title.

The co-authors also say in their introduction that they have largely avoided the obvious train poems except those that the public would expect to find in a poetry book about trains, so even those who are familiar with railway poetry (as opposed to songs) won't recognize much here. At least they include Adlestrop and Wordsworth's rant about desecrating the Lake District by building a railway to connect it to the outside world. Was Wordsworth the first Nimby? Probably not.

A genuine book about train songs would include the lyrics, of course, but depending on its target market, would either include information about recorded versions or (if it were aimed at musicians) musical scores. This is not either of those books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Train Songs (Hardcover)
If you like good poetry, railways or just good English writing this book is well worth every penny. The free delivery to my local site is excellent too

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
A1

Train Songs
Train Songs by Sean O'Brien (Hardcover - 3 Oct. 2013)