5.0 out of 5 stars Dreams, ghosts and lost loves
Hallejuah! A new Banana Yoshimoto has arrived! The three novellas: Night and Night's Travellers, Long Songs and Asleep, that make up this volume are linked by themes of sleep, dreams, insomnia, and things that wander into our minds in that half-dream state that sometimes catches us in the morning as we struggle to rise.
Banana Yoshimoto is a deceptively simple...
Published on 7 Oct 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written stories to captivate the heart.
Not being a great fan of short stories I started to read these with little expectation, but I found myself transported into wonderful imagery and meeting fascinating characters. Each short story is tinged with bitter-sweetness and is a gem to read. My only regret was that my favourite 'Night and Night's Travellers' did not go on for longer. Well worth a read.
Published on 27 Sep 2000 by liz@lizjohns.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreams, ghosts and lost loves, 7 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Asleep (Paperback)
Banana Yoshimoto is a deceptively simple writer, elegant and subtle, effortlessly inhabiting her characters and allowing her readers to slip into her weird and enigmatic worlds. All the narrators in Asleep are women, struggling with loss, lethargy, sleep and and ghosts of one sort or another. Love seeps through these stories; one woman calls to a dead woman in her sleep wondering if she loves her; another falls for a man, whose wife is in a coma, and another cannot comes to terms with her overwhelming grief for her dead brother. All facets of love are explored in this delicately wrought collection. Her gift as a writer I think, is that she brings a sense of the supernatural, the beyond, otherness, into everyday lives, often during times of extreme emotion, when body and mind are crying out for a sense of coherence.
Try this beautiful book.Read it in bed, warm at night, let Banana Yoshimoto weave her spell. I guarantee you'll love Asleep and then you'll have to go and search out her other books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written stories to captivate the heart., 27 Sep 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars lullaby of love, 13 July 2006
This review is from: Asleep (Paperback)
The three novellas within Asleep cast an eerie penumbra around the times of shadow depicted in each. With a subtlety and economy that lulls the reader, the book is repeatedly in danger of enveloping you in the same emotional lethargy the characters find themselves in. I got a sense that each character had an incomplete sense of self that was never resolved by each story's supposed redemption; that each heroine (and the invariably failed female characters juxtaposed against her) spun the strand of meaning for her world around the male core within each tale. The conclusions grant little in the way of autonomy to the female leads, but instead find them escaping from an addiction, an addiction to the soothing blanket of depression, into a dawn illuminated by a reaffirmation of devotion. I read a latent cultural misogyny into all this that makes the book eerie in an entirely unexpected way.

ARRAY(0xa8094f84)

Asleep
Asleep by Banana Yoshimoto (Paperback - 6 Aug 2001)
Used & New from: 0.83