5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect Present
Published on 14 Nov. 2009 by C. P. McGregor

3.0 out of 5 stars Cat's The Eay To Do It!
A good recording if you can't get the T S Eliot original. Clearly recited, and great fun for cat overs.
Published 3 months ago by David Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect Present, 14 Nov. 2009
Having just received my first copy of this from Amazon I am now ordering further copies to give as presents to all my nieces and nephews - I may even try and persuade my own youngest children that they are not too old to be read too! The poems themselves are of course classics but Axel Scheffler's beautiful (and funny) illustrations are what will make children treasure this book and demand that it be read and re-read. If you are still in the habit of reading to your children then I urge you to treat yourself and them with this lovely book. You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holiday Games, 29 July 2004
Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats is a superb book of light verse. Some of the language might be a little difficult for young children (though it's always good to learn new words), but your kids are certain to warm to such a disreputable bunch of street-cats! Adults too will enjoy the skill and wit of Eliot's rhymes. Personal, I'm a big fan of the poet and I rate this collection alongside The Wasteland and The Love song of J. Alfred Prufrock.
Of all the editions available I think this is the one to own. Edward Gorey's illustrations are very funny (particularly his illustration of 'Firefrorefiddle the Fiend of the Fell!'). If you don't get this one, then the Faber pocket series with the cat painting on the cover is also very nice (that one contains the original illustrations, which are quite sweet).

4.0 out of 5 stars cats, 30 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (FF Childrens Classics) (Paperback)
Remembered from school days, brought back many fond memories, enjoyed the poems even more now than in my school days. Liked the black and white illustrations, they add to the humourous note. Funny and gently wicked antics of these memorable cats. A real joy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic cats slink stylishly into the 21st century., 19 Nov. 2009
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I remember these poems from my own childhood, and loved Bentley's pictures but my children have grown up with Axel Scheffler's Gruffalo and other Julia Donaldson titles and so were attracted immediately to this book by the familiar illustrations and with good reason. And what a wonderful selection of poems we they found inside, accompanied by Scheffler's depictions of the different cats in his easy-going and good-humoured style. T S Eliot's verse is rich with rhythm and rhyme and language that reminds you of a bygone era, and yet the Cats with their many temperaments remain bright, fun and appealing three generations later and it's no wonder that this strong collection sparked a musical that endures equally well. A treasure that no child's bookshelf should be without, and a brilliant gift for a cat-lover of any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving T.S. Eliot, 15 Dec. 2009
Kathleen Braden "Kat" (Concord, NH USA) - See all my reviews
We used to own the same performance on a cassette tape, but it disappeared. I looked everywhere I could think and was so relieved that I could order it on cd from you. It arrived very quickly and was in perfect condition.

We have been enjoying it so much. It is delightful and brings back great memories. John Gielgud and Irene Worth are magnificent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful illustrations, 12 Nov. 2009
Mrs. L. Hawes - See all my reviews
Just seen this book in town and rushed home to buy it (at almost half the price!) My grandchildren love all the books they have with Axel Scheffler illustrations - The Gruffalo, Stick Man etc.- and I know this will be a great favourite. Can't wait to read it with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Work, 5 July 1999
By A Customer
Although easily outselling The Wasteland or, probably, all of Eliot's other works put together, this richly worded collection is frequently dismissed by critics as frivolous. The poems are rarely included in Eliot anthologies and are probably much more frequently read by children than by adults.
However, there is much in Old Possum to intrigue the literary critic - as well as his/her child.
Firstly, the mixture of sounds, the repetition and the language are all distincly Eliot's own. His recurrent themes of the passing of time and nostalgia are all there, and couched in a glorious rhythm so in tune with, say, Four Quartents, that it does not take an expert to find the similarities.
To the child: read this book for fun. To the adult familiar with Eliot's less accessible works: read it to remind yourself of the man behind the poet.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most accurate study of feline psychology ever..., 20 April 2012
The fact that this man can write the modernist masterpiece 'The Waste Land' and can turn his ideas to... cats???? Mind-blowing!

I'm eighteen years old, and should know better when it comes to buying poetry for children. Despite this, it takes someone older to understand the eccentric brilliance of this darling little book. I lost my copy once, and I panicked like there was no tomorrow. This book means so much to me, and never fails to make me smile. I look at cats in an entirely different way.

You've read of several kinds of Cat,
And my opinion now is that
You should need no interpreter
To understand their character.

We do need an interpreter, his name is T.S.Eliot. It is thanks to him, we know how to appropriately name cats and how to address their kind- which of course is, "don't speak until you're spoken to"

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as Julia Donaldson!, 31 Oct. 2010
Chosing to have this book illustrated by Grufallo artist Axel Scheffler is a masterstroke, and the verse shows how much of a debt long-time Scheffler collaborator Julia Donaldson holds to TS Eliot.
Am must for all Eliot, Donaldson/Scheffler and cat fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scheffler's appealing yet non-condescending edition of Practical Cats, 14 Oct. 2012
Yi-Peng (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Axel Scheffler may be better known for illustrating the Julia Donaldson Gruffalo series. However, he has branched out to draw pictures for earlier works, including the T.S. Eliot cat poems. Scheffler has produced a marvellous edition, fit to stand alongside the previous illustrated editions of the whole book, and it even compares favourably to the darker-hued Erol LeCain illustrations for five of the poems. Scheffler's illustrations are kid-friendly but yet they don't condescend or become overly cute and childish. It is a shame if grown-up readers aren't taken by the illustrations, but grown-ups can appreciate picture book treatments of old classics as well as the next child.

His treatment of the poems is so different from the previous illustrations for these poems. The cats are seen as more adorable and cuddly here, but it doesn't become cute and condescending. Yet Scheffler's drawings are nuanced so that he finds room to make Growltiger sinister, except when he is courting Griddlebone. The illustrations are in vignettes and accompany the poems in their various stages. The Bentley and Gorey editions tended to have one or two large plates for each poem. Occasionally he illustrates individual lines, such as the fakir who stares at Macavity when he levitates. I also like his sequence of pictures that play like a succession of scenes when the poems can't provide any words. I see this twice, during the Rum Tum Tugger and the Pekes and the Pollicles. One really likes the sequence of vignettes that accompany the muddle that the Tugger poses when he disrupts a housewife's sewing chores.

I would have liked it if individual lines had had their own illustrations and it would have been good for the text to wrap itself around the pictures. For instance it would have been good if Scheffler had drawn Growltiger attacking each of the animals and creatures in his path. I'm not saying this to upset the dignity of the original book. It would be more interesting in a picture book if there were more interaction between text and illustration, even for classics like this.

I tend to like this better than the Bentley and Gorey editions, and this edition is really well worth it. The binding is of a very high quality and the pictures are printed on thick semi-gloss paper. One really feels assured that you get all the poems, even including Cat Morgan.

I hope that one day that Quentin Blake could do an illustrated edition of the Practical Cats poems. His temperament would be suitable for this material.

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (FF Childrens Classics)
Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (FF Childrens Classics) by T.S. Eliot (Paperback - 9 April 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01