5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Warming and Childlike, 27 Sep 2005
Mrs. J. S. Wheable "PurpleMisty" (Milton Keynes, Bucks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Children of Green Knowe (Faber Children's Classics) (Paperback)
I remember this book from when I was a child and I loved it then as I do now. It is a charming story that brings a smile to my face every time I read it or watch the excellent television adaptation (which I still have on video recorded years ago) I just wish they'd re-release it on DVD as my copy is getting very worn now

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the book, then step into its pages!, 20 Sep 2008
Four Violets (Hertford UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I came to this book in a back to front way. Most people read the book then visit the Manor at Hemingford Grey, where the story is set. I first read Lucy Boston's autobiography then visited the house, and finally read the children's story. The Norman manor is absolutely wonderful and a child on the tour I was on was wide eyed with joy at being shown everything exactly as it was in the book. I could understand how she felt when I too held Toby's Japanese mouse, saw the rocking horse, wicker bird cage and painted toy box.

Toseland arrives by river at night to stay with his grandmother. He meets children who lived in the house a very long time ago. The entire book is full of wonderful magic and so is the house still today. Everything is exactly the same and I can't imagine how they manage it. It's not a museum, the day we visited, Lucy's daughter in law had cooked dinner for countless family members and she was concerned about the grandchildren going too near the bees.

I heard several mothers on the tour agree that this was their favourite children's book as they had enjoyed reading it as much as their children enjoyed hearing it. I think it would probably be suitable for any child from age 8 upwards, and any adult who loves magical old fashioned tales of animals and birds, gypsies and horses, and a lonely little boy who finds friendship and love in the magical old manor.

And after reading the book, its possible to step into its pages by visiting the Manor. The music room where Lucy Boston gave recitals to the RAF in the second world war, is entirely intact, down to the mattresses around the wall where they sat, and the 1930's gramophone, which still plays - we heard it. The wonderful gardens and Lucy's patchworks can also be admired.

5.0 out of 5 stars should be part of everyone's childhood, 11 Sep 2000
By A Customer
I was so relieved to find this - I thought they'd gone out of print and these are truly the most magical wonderful books - buy the whole set for any children you know.
If you loved Narnia you will love these.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Children of Green Knowe, 22 Jun 2005
I remember being entranced by this book when I heard it read (I think on Jackanory) as a child. I looked for it many times in libraries but no one had ever heard of it. It must have been good as the impression it made is still memorable and I have not read it or seen it in shops since then. Surprisingly, it is not amongst the best known of childrens books.
I am delighted that it is available on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A childhood classic, 28 Oct 2007
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I read and reread the Green Knowe books when I was a child. Boston wrote about her own house, fictionalising its history for her books. It is possible to have guided tours around the house which is still in Boston's family, and people make pilgrimage there every year in homage to these fantastic books. Each book in the series deals with a different historical period of the house's existence. The story is told through the experiences of Tolly, a small boy whose parents live abroad and who send him to live with his grandmother in the house Green Knowe during his school holidays. Tolly encounters the ghosts of previous generations of children and has exciting adventures with them. They are spooky without being truly scary and really adventurous exhilarating reading. The language can be a little old fashioned, as these books were old when I was a child, but I recently started reading them to my eight year old daughter and she loves them as much as I do. In this book, Tolly first comes to Green Knowe and meets Toby, Alexander and Linnet, three ghost children who help him explore the wonderful house and grounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars A deserved classic, 6 May 2011
Martynrb (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
I would take issue with Amazon's own verdict that "this is not an easy book". It's not a conventional book - it hasn't even got chapters - but it is easy because the writing and storytelling are so wonderful and magical that you are drawn in from the start and you are just carried along by it. Sometimes revisiting childhood books can turn out to be a disappointment, but this was quite the opposite for me and I'm really pleased that on a whim I decided to get hold of a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Found it!, 8 Oct 2004
In common with all the reviewers, I read this as a child and was enthralled. I have wanted to find this book for so long, and read it to my children. I couldn't remember the title - just remembered Tolly and Green Noah, so it took me a while to find it on an Internet search. I am so delighted to see it's still available.

5.0 out of 5 stars A small review of the Green Knowe Books, 5 Oct 2011
The Children of Green KnoweExcellent for children and and young teens. Would be good as a book read out to a group and an excellent look at the changing face of history and the way people were regarded by aristocracy. Highly comprehended. The was a film made of the book called "As Time Goes By" which I think was better than the book but pulled it's punches regarding the language used against the black boy. Political Correctness over historical accuracy. It's an exiting story that held me, even though my childhood is now long gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Children of Greene Knowe, 31 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The children of Greene Knowe
A wonderfully written childrens story, one of my favorites which I read, and re-read as a child with as much enthusiasm and awe as the first time I picked it up.

ARRAY(0xb5bf4ee8)

The Children of Green Knowe (Faber Children's Classics)
The Children of Green Knowe (Faber Children's Classics) by Lucy M. Boston (Paperback - 3 April 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01