5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully described vision of childhood in times past, 12 Mar 2003
N. J. Slade "mollymackerel" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Children of Green Knowe (Faber Children's Classics) (Paperback)
I first read this book thirty-odd years ago and have just reread it to my son. It still has the same magical evocation of a childhood world and has lost nothing over time. It tells the story of a very lonely little boy called Tolly, who goes to spend the Christmas holidays with his great grandmother at Penny Soakey in a house called Green Noah, that has belonged to the Oldknowe family for many generations. Gradually he comes to learn more about the children that lived there in times past, and to form some very special friendships. Lucy Boston's delicate yet vivid descriptions are filled with the kind of detail that paints pictures in your mind. This is the perfect book to inspire a child struggling with descriptive writing themselves, or just as an antedote to 21st century life.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic and flawless english ghost story, 14 July 2001
By A Customer
all the elements of the magic of childhood- ghosts, mysteries, Christmas,joy and fear; perfectly crafted story of a boy finding ghostly companions from long ago,with evocative and thrilling details on every page; no children's writer has ever bettered the pace and narrative of lucy boston in this flawless, timeless story of childhood

5.0 out of 5 stars Play hide and seek with memories and imagination, 11 April 2001
By A Customer
This book is one of a series written by Lucy Boston; conjuring a truly magical world just this side of reality. My mother read this book aloud to me as a child, I have enjoyed re-reading it as an adult and my 10 year old daughter is hooked now too. The story introduces us to a wonderful house and the people connected with it...by the end they feel like friends we long to spend more time with. Lucy Boston brilliantly connects with the dreams of children (of all ages).

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely classic children's novel, 25 Oct 2007
J. Davies (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
I was first introduced to The Children of Green Knowe through the BBC's TV adaptation which, like the Box Of Delights, was a brilliantly memorable piece of children's television for the festive season (they really don't make them like that anymore). My best friend had all of the books and after I watched it on TV I immediately sat down and read them all. I feel so fortunate to have discovered them. As children's classics go the whole series is up there with the Chronicles of Narnia, although the Green Knowe books are arguably better written - yes, I know CS Lewis was an Oxford don, but Lucy M Boston writes such beautiful, vivid, flowing prose. I'm just re-reading the Children of Green Knowe again now and it's still as beautifully written, as captivating and as poignant as I remember it. I still have the rest of the series (I collected a set of my own after I read my friend's copies) and after I've enjoyed The Children of Green Knowe I'm going to read them all. What a treat! The Children of Green Knowe is a perfect Christmas read, whatever your age, and if you're looking for a book to read aloud this one is perfect. I'm glad my 1988 Puffin editions have the Peter Boston illustrations though, they're much more evocative and magical than the new illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars dreamy, original and quite wonderful, 29 Sep 2005
By A Customer
Time-travelling happens fairly regularly to you if you're a character in a children's book - but seldom with the same dreamy and original result as in this book by Lucy Boston.
The first scene is a familiar one: a lonely child (in this case a boy called Tolly) arrives by train to some isolated country station, to stay with relatives in a crumbling, English mansion.
What follows is more original, as stories of an almost mythical, 18th century past mingle with with Tolly's 50s (?) present... He catches glimpses of three mysterious children in the old rooms of the house, and soon enough we understand they come from another time.
Tender melancholia and great fun go together in this book. It's a comforting read for children - or at least it was to me as a child - and definitely something I will want to read to my own kids in the future. In the meantime, I'm buying a copy for myself to read on cold winter nights!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaks all the rules, 14 Jan 2008
It is a sheer delight to read such a beautifully written and imaginative story in today's world of formulaic writing for children. "The Children of Green Knowe" defies categorisation but somehow captured the imagination of 40-something Mum and 7 year old son alike.

The language and some of the concepts involved in the book seem, superficially, to be beyond the scope of younger readers but somehow, when read aloud, the gist of the meaning on a number of levels can be picked up by children. The descriptive passages are beautifully evocative: you can see the greenness of the garden, feel the sharpness of the yew and hear the crisp footprints on new-fallen snow. I read the book to my son at Christmas-time which added to the atmosphere.

Perhaps what I loved most was the room for mystery and wonder, and for questions that don't all get answered. Are the children ghosts or spirits? Is the house itself alive in some way?

Finally, the woodcuts by Peter Boston are enchanting and further add to the other-wordly feel of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 14 Oct 2003
I read a fair amount of books as a child and this is the one that stands out to this day. A beautifully written story that encapsulates the wonder and magic that should go with childhood. I don't think calling it a 'ghost story' does this book any justice at all - there is nothing sinister or haunting about it. Instead it is a gentle and moving account that cleverly blends a young boy's innocence with a living history.
Absolutely first rate. Don't let your children miss out...

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, just beautiful., 27 April 2005
I first came across The Children of Green Knowe when, as a child, the BBC broadcast a dramatisation which my parents taped. I watched it over and over again until I quite literally wore out the video. Unfortunately, the BBC wiped the original and all copies and so this gem has been lost. However, at the age of eighteen, I've finally aquired a copy of the book and I love it more than any other I've read. I won't spoil the story for those who've yet to read it, but I urge anyone with a love of magic and mystery to buy this book now. Lord of the Rings was voted BBC big read last year, I reckon this should have won it instead...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Forgotten Classic, 6 July 2006
The Children of Green Knowe is an enchanting story. It is beautifully written, the descriptions are vivid and Lucy Boston's characters are drawn superbly well. A lonely little boy - Tolly Oldknowe - goes to live with his great-grandmother and has a series of haunting and charming adventures around and in the house that his family have lived in for centuries. A lovely story which deserves to be as well known as Narnia and Alice in Wonderland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 3 Feb 2007
M. Jeffery - See all my reviews
I am reading this book to my 6(nearly 7!) year old little boy now and I really am not sure which of us is enjoying it more! Unlike the other reviews I didn't read this as a child. So, rather than wondering how quickly or how little I can get away with reading at bed time we've been late every night!I thoroughly recommend it!

The Children of Green Knowe (Faber Children's Classics)
The Children of Green Knowe (Faber Children's Classics) by Lucy M. Boston (Paperback - 3 April 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01