on 18 August 2000
I've read all three of his books and though his last two have failed to reach the quality and impact of his first he still writes fascinating tales at the extremes of human emotions and situations.
His stories are very in your face; mostly macho-hero type affairs. If you're after long verbose quiet sit-under-a-tree-and-read prose - you're better off going elsewhere.
Thom has of late tried to change his style a little with variable results. Sometimes writing from a woman's point of view and at other times the scawny beat-upon man such as in the mice story.
Thom has been promising his first novel for sometime now though if he keeps delivering books like this, I think his first novel could wait another year or five.
Definitely a man's writer. A writer with balls - sweaty and bruised balls at that!
on 19 September 2000
Having found Thom Jones through the recomendation of Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club, Survivor) in interviews, I now feel like writing to Chuck to thank him. This collection of short stories displays a confident grasp of the language, a swaggering style of writing that drags you through the book by the scruff of your neck. Of the dozen or so stories, "I Love You, Sophie Western" had the most profound effect on me, the ending still lingers uneasily with me now. Other stories such as "Mouses" and "Terantula" have that same kind of power. Jones writes about desperate characters, about moments where lives are ruined or saved. Violence, sex, drugs, old subjects but brought to life again by Jones' fresh style.
on 19 April 2000
Thom Jones' stories hit you with a sucker punch straight to your soul - the force is so devastating, the effect so powerful that the only thing left to do is to laugh at the absurdity of it all. Thom Jones writes with wit, compassion, and a wickedly dark sense of humour as he brings his characters stories to light for the reader. I can't remember which philospher said "I am human and so nothing human is foreign to me" but this is certainly the vantage point from which Jones writes. In both Sonny Liston and The Pugilist at Rest Jones manages to do what all great writers strive for - he makes our living and dying important again.
on 21 January 2016
I didn't buy this for myself. I give copies away from time to time. However, a special thank you for the rabbit photo hidden within the pages. I didn't have a photo of a rabbit until now and I certainly won't be giving it away when I pass on this great book to another lucky inconnu.

If it was intentional, well done. If not you should consider leaving a random photo in all the second hand books you send out.
review image
on 22 April 2000
Not a bad collection of stories, but not great either by a long shot. Jones isn't a terrible writer but he's nothing like the second coming of Robert Stone and Hemingway as he's been hyped. A lot of very familiar territory here (Nam, boxing) and while Jones occasionally turns a pretty good phrase, he's not a particularly dazzling storyteller.
on 26 August 2011
The book was slightly damaged - a quick visual check prior to shipping would have prevented that, but not enough to go through the hassle of having to mail it back. Shipping was not cheap for a paperback.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse