Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 June 2002
This has to be one of the best play scripts I have ever read! I personally had the honour of playing the part of Moley in an amatuer production of this script and, looking back, it was one of the best parts I have ever played. This script is crammed full of comedy, though it does seem to pass by some people. I am sure that I myself missed many of these clever and topical jokes. One of the cracker lines which comes to mind is "The lady on the barge is the barge lady". An example of one of the topical jokes is when the weasals are beating up Moley and howl out, "We don't like little black animals." This script is very, very clever. While it will pass childrens eyes as harmless yarn of the English countryside the adults will get entertainment from the hidden jokes. Along with this script there goes a score of beautiful music. One thing which may worry other amatuers is the set requirments. For example a punt, a barge, a horse drawn cart and even a train all take a part in the story but this script is written in such a way that the audience are almost sub-consciously forced to use their imagination. I recomend this to those who love to perform or even to those who just like to read.
on 27 January 2016
This is the book I reach for when I need cheering up what a fabulous strat Mole throwing the paint brush down and high tailing it to adventure with Ratty and Mr Toad what a fabulous read for any age .
on 8 January 2016
Rereading a book from my childhood was not the experience I had hoped. None of it made sense to an adult reader. What with Toad driving a car and living in a large hall and yet seemingly being small enough to be entertained in Ratty's home in the riverbank. Chased by police after escaping prison but never being re-arrested in his own home where clearly he was known to live. Clearly a book for a mind not contaminated by too much reality.
on 6 September 2009
I purchased this book because I had to teach it in the Literacy hour at a primary school.By examining the text more closely than a casual read I discovered it has a quality of language use more closely associated with poetry.You can feel the author yearns for the innocent days and landscape of his youth.It is ,in my opinion, a little masterpiece and I could recommend it to an older audience.
on 23 July 2015
my daughter loved it she couldn't put it down I loved it when I was younger and it first come out so I new she would I loved all the Beatrix potter books to and kept them for her all storys of animals I loved even the animals of farthing wood
on 26 July 2014
Several copies bought for Dartington Playgoers summer 2014 production. Delivery prompt as usual but every book lost pages and eventually fell apart as rehearsals progressed. Some people had books bought years earlier which held together well. Perhaps the printers should be told?
on 9 January 2015
Nothing bad to say about the contents but the book itself fell apart after barely being touched. Printers obviously need to make a change the pages just fall out.
on 7 August 2015
Wonderful book, I read it as a child, and now reading it again to my niece, still has the same reaction of ahh !! And what happens next. This is a real classic.
on 22 July 2016
The book was bought for my seven year old granddaughter and the print was tiny, too small to read comfortably. Would definitely not recommend it!
on 5 January 2016
I will recommend this to ks2 because of the words
But it is a very classic book that teaches you something