on 18 January 2000
This is an interesting read especially for those of us concerned to ensure that the advance of "industrial" wine producers and multinational corporations does not swamp and overwhelm the skills, individuality and commitment of that keen band of winemakers who are passionate about the produce of their vineyards and who want to retain wines which do not fall into easy classifications, nor necessarily "easy" or unchallenging drinking.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 20 April 2012
I read a lot of books about wine and this author/book was referred to in one I was reading. So I looked for it and discovered it was out of print and I bought an ex library copy through Amazon. The author sets out to answer several very relevant questions about wine; eg does wine taste of place or grape or about the method of the winemaking? Why does some wine taste better than others? Do small producers make better wines than large ones? These questions may look simple, but as wine lovers know they are not.

I particularly liked how the author approached the issues with an open mind. The discussions in this book are similar to those encountered in another book which I read at the same time (The Battle for Wine and Love by Alice Feiring) but I preferred Patrick Matthews much more objective style.

I admit that anyone who reads or re-reads this sort of book needs to be a real wine freak to enjoy it. But there are many of us about I suspect and this book is surely something we should have on the shelf to help us make and enjoy a good cellar.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again