5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and delicious!
Published on 23 Mar 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Great cooking ideas, but not to be taken too seriously
Published on 27 Mar 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and delicious!, 23 Mar 1999
This review is from: The Vegan Cookbook (Paperback)
This was the first book I bought when I became vegan as I took it out the library so many times I thought I'd better buy my own copy. It has an excellent section on the non-dairy things with a variety of creams; single, double and coconut. The rum truffles are out of this world and even better if you coat them in melted chocolate and would convince even the most die-hard meat eater than vegan food can be lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Vegan Recipes, 25 Aug 2002
This review is from: The Vegan Cookbook (Paperback)
A very comprehensive vegan cookery book that also includes notes on vegan nutrition. The chapters are broken down into Soups, Starters, Main Dishes, Side Dishes, Salads, Desserts, Sauces and Dressings, Spreads, Baking and the Alternative Dairy. Each chapter begins with the easiest/cheapest recipes and progresses towards more elaborate and equally delicious concoctions. Nutritional details for each recipe are given at the bottom of each page. In this book vegans will find recipes for everyday cooking and also recipes to entertain vegan and non-vegan friends alike. This book deserves a place in every vegan or non-vegan kitchen and will encourage its readers to be more creative in their cooking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great cooking ideas, but not to be taken too seriously, 27 Mar 2000
This review is from: The Vegan Cookbook (Paperback)
A book full of delicious things to make and the first book I bought when I decided to try and lose dairy products as well. It seemed to have more recipes crammed between two covers than any other book on the shelf! The desserts are particularly good, but the whole book does have a scarily puritanical air - brown rice/wholegrain flour/freshly squeezed fruit juice only etc which can be a bit off-putting. Still, worth it for the chapter on spreads and puddings including a cheeseless cheesecake to die for...

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable, 12 Oct 2009
M. Davies "zmaxz" (Barnstaple, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vegan Cookbook (Paperback)
I've owned this book for over 20 years and it's my favourite out of my many vegan cookery books. It's packed with recipes which include how to make your own vegan milk, cream and cheese etc. These guys are very creative and knowledgeable. Another reviewer was unfair to criticise the use of brown rice and flour in the recipes, you don't have to strictly adhere to the ingredients in any book and these recipes work equally well with white flour etc. When the book was first published, vegan food had the emphasis on the most healthy ingredients but you can obviously adapt the recipes to your own taste. I will be forever grateful to these authors for their authoritative work which I'm sure forms the basis for many more recent publications.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 22 Aug 2006
Mrs. S. Whitmore (Raunds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vegan Cookbook (Paperback)
I've owned this book since 1986 and I still recommend it to my friends and my children's friends. I'm not even vegetarian, but find the recipes delicious. My particular favourites are the three seed bread, heavenly, and the precise instructions on how to make ratatouille. It is my constant standby to make lovely and interesting meals for my vegetarian and vegan friends.

I suppose it may be a little old fashioned now, but when it was written there was not the variety of food available that there is now, and nutritional information was difficult to obtain. The best thing is that the recipes are "do-able", if you follow the instructions, you get the result!

It's a classic, the Vegan equivalent of the Good Housekeeping Cookery Book that every bride used to get, whether she had any intention of cooking or not....

5.0 out of 5 stars Best vegan book ever!, 31 Aug 2008
This review is from: The Vegan Cookbook (Paperback)
I keep coming back to this book; the recipes just taste fabulous and they work. The lemon cheesecake is better than any dairy version. I like the variety and the excellent ingredients. This is a book for people who love to cook and cook well, not a 'quick-cook' book. It's for serious vegans and non-vegans alike, who love the taste of good food. I haven't come across a boring or bland recipe yet; these guys have obviously experimented with different combinations and the result is a set of recipes that have that wonderful 'clean' taste that the best vegan food can offer. No stodge here, not masses of pasta dishes either. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Vegan Cookbook, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Vegan Cookbook (Paperback)
Wanted this book for ages as my boss lent it to me. Loads of great recipes and an AMAZING fresh fruit tart recipe which is sugar free and no bad stuff. Really delicious. Used this book to do my vegan birthday buffet and everyone, including meat eaters, enjoyed. Great book x

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 4 May 2013
This review is from: The Vegan Cookbook (Paperback)
Best vegan book ever. Have tried quite a few recipes and they have all come out perfect. Ingredients can easily be found in supermarkets.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Vegan Cookbook, 30 April 2013
This review is from: The Vegan Cookbook (Paperback)
I'm always looking for new meals to cook. This book is full of ideas of what to cook. I use it all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars My most prized cookbook of all time, 8 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Vegan Cookbook (Paperback)
My copy of this book was purchased back in the 1980s through Animal AID. I am still strictly vegetarian, yet ever with aspirations of veganism. This book has been an absolute stalwart in my cookery book collection for almost 30 years. My paperbacked version has NO pictures. The recipes are so good and the nutritional advice accompanying them so straightforward, that imagery is quite superfluous. It is the book I turn to first, before looking up ideas in any others in my collection. I thoroughly commend it to you all as an exemplary classic of vegan culinary nutrition.

The Vegan Cookbook
The Vegan Cookbook by Gordon Baskerville (Paperback - 8 July 1996)