Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 May 2000
This early play ran for only a few days and was panned by critics. It is now heralded as a classic of modern drama. The fear and tension are palpable throughout. Goldberg and McCann reduce Stanley to a gibbering wreck and the audience feel his trauma throughout.
It reveals the skeletons in all our closets and leaves us wondering why a "wheelbarrow" and a "TOY DRUM", at once innocuous and every day items, can be so menacing and downright scarey. Enjoy the fear.
on 18 October 2009
I had to read this play for my A level English lit. coursework, I wasn't expecting much as I hadn't seen any of Pinter's other plays and it sounds slightly dull. However after having read it in class with my classmates I see how wrong I was, a sensationally good play, with unbelievable characters that are yet so believable... then there's the inane chatter that fills most of the pages constantly causing me to stop and take stock of the importance of the majority of what I say. With dark wit throughout I sincerely hope I have the opportunity to see a live production of this near masterpiece.
on 13 May 2013
This play was bought for my english Literature A-Level, as part of my wider reading. I bought it for a discount price on Amazon, and was amazed by how quickly it came. It was also in fantastic condition, which was a bonus!
As a play, it says a lot about a little, but it's also very simple to read and understand the basic plot. Pinter is a brilliant writer to bulk up your wider reading with - I would recommend it to anyone.
on 12 January 2015
This is a Pint classic and features his ominous 'knock at the door'. The pause are full of meaning and nothing is ever quite as you expect. It stays with you long aft you are finished reading.
on 7 March 2010
This is a fantastic play, kind of confusing and kind of insane. Unfortunatly I haven't been able to see this play on stage, but I guess it would be even better to see it in "real-life".
on 21 March 2013
Straightforward text of this mysterious and chilling play. Bonus is the inclusion of performance dates, venues and cast lists from previous productions.
on 20 April 2014
Great book and speedy delivery,really enjoyed this book and would recommend to anyone.
Also great value for money,will read over and over
on 16 February 2015
What's it all about? I don't have an answer, but then - who does. I just love the characters and their interactions.
on 10 December 2001
I first saw a production of The Birthday Party when I was at school, and was instantly struck by it. It's typical Pinter; very bleak and a somewhat depressing look at life, but is still a gripping read and is even more effective in the theatre. The speech is very rhythmic, and the way in which it speeds up and slows down lends much to it being a really scary (and confusing) play.
on 29 October 1998
Andy's book sticks to what he knows best, improvisational comedy, so he doesn't allow the performer much depth. Good basic improv rules and comedy exercises. Also look at "Improv! A Handbook for the Actor" by Greg Atkins and "Improvisational Theater" by Viola Spolin.