5.0 out of 5 stars Little Gem
Published on 23 July 2011 by avidread

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really a book
review unhelpfully not about the contents of the book, i'm afraid, but for the book itself.

for over £12 i received what seemed to be a poorly produced print-on-demand edition. fuzzy repro, cover bound in gloss, no details on the spine.
Published on 16 April 2012 by Roman Totale

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Gem, 23 July 2011
I was surprised to discover a local talent on my doorstep on purchasing this book for my local book club meeting. I had never heard of Norman Nicholson and to find such a rich wealth of poetry rooted in Cumbrian life and landscape was a real bonus. The depth of insight, the dry humour, the lyrical adroitness with which ordinary life is described make this little collection a joy to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poems of a place called Home., 20 Aug 2012
Norman Nicholson almost lives our own childhood, by proxy. To hear the names of his childhood, Duddon, Cleator Moor, Millom and the same Black Combe that was the horizon of my youth, raises ghosts of many summers past. Nicholson sounds ringing bells in all our lives. For those who have lived by the sea, in 'Shingle', 'It surges down-/ Slow underpull/ Of heavy grey waves,/Meeting the sea's/ surge upwards. He is not talking about the Mediterranean, this is the Irish Sea. For those with a love of the country, he talks of ' ... wet woods and wood-soil and woodland flowers,/ Tutson, the St. John's-wort with a single yellow bead,/ Marsh marigold, creeping Jenny and daffodils;' in 'To the River Duddon'. The heavy aroma of that same 'wet wood soil' of our country days fills the air. But most of all his poems share our losses of family, of that planet we inhabited when we were young and those 'characters that inhabited our world, such as, the 'Old Man at the Cricket Match'.
Norman Nicholson's language is the language we all speak, his emotions ones that we all recognise, but the music of his poetry has a beauty that we can all feel. This is a lovely little book, leaving you, not only wanting more, but knowing yourself a little better, as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good service, 5 Dec 2009
Mr. D. T. Johnson "bigdbiz62" (market harborough UK) - See all my reviews
This is a useful introduction to the poems of Norman Nicholson. It was sent to me very quickly, and i am totally satisfied with my purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really a book, 16 April 2012

Selected Poems, 1940-82
Selected Poems, 1940-82 by Norman Nicholson (Hardcover - Sep 1982)
Used & New from: £101.34