Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 January 2007
Philip Larkin's work is absolutely astounding. My introduction to his work in Higher English has impacted me without a doubt. With very little interest in the English course I was failing badly until our new teacher introduced us to the likes of Philip Larkin, Emily Bronte and Tenesse Williams. My favourite poem is undoubtedly "The Whitsun Weddings". Larkin's method of conveying his disparaging attitude to the lower classes and the post-war industrialisation through a seemingly simple train journey absolutly facsinates me! And Church Going utterly blows my mind. And the constant theme of isolation, an onlooker. Without a doubt I will be checking out more of Larkin's poetry. His is truly, in my opinion, a poetical genious.
on 11 December 2014
Bought for a-level student!
on 22 February 2016
Very pleased with purchase
on 14 December 2015
A wonderful anthology
on 1 June 2015
Helped with exams
on 8 March 2002
Between The Less Deceived (which contained some great poems, 'Coming' among them) and this volume, Larkin developed - evolved, if you like - into the leading poet of his day. And one can quite see why. 'MCMXIV' is remarkable because of the back-of-the-neck thing it does. When you get that you know you've just read a really good poem.
on 13 September 2015
As described
on 12 January 2014
Good value.
on 4 January 2016
good value
on 14 October 2013
The book was in a worse state than descripted, however does the job so I'm thankful for it, specially with the price I could not complain