5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime visit to a Vanished World
For anyone who likes oral history and the English countryside, this new edition of ASK THE FELLOWS WHO CUT THE HAY is one of those very rare things: it is just about as perfect as it's possible for a book to be.

From the blurb inside the jacket:
'This classic work remains vigorous and true, an illuminating and unvarnished portrait of village life with all...
Published on 4 April 2010 by Green Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting story
Perhaps this book was hyped up too much to me; a friend kept urging me to read it, so I finally got a copy. I found it interesting and informative, but not the ravishing transport to bygone days I'd been promised.

Published on 26 Nov. 2012 by Peasant

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting story, 26 Nov. 2012
Peasant (Deepest England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Coming from a family with an agricultural labouring tradition, I grew up in the tail-end of this world; the labourers of the book would have been the old codgers in the pub when I was a teenager. I recognised the truth of the picture painted, but the vibrant, claustrophobic life of the village was told in language that, for me, placed it at a distance and sanitised it. Evans fills his book with detail and anecdote, but it is all filtered through his detached oral-historian's ear.

This is the tale of rural life as told by a middle-class writer educated in the academic tradition. I was surprised to see it was published as late as 1956; it had a flavour of the pre-war years, both in style and in content. I enjoyed far more, and was in fact rivetted by, Ronald Blythe's Akenfield: Portrait of an English Village, also set in Suffolk and published only 13 years later - which I have read several times and which continues to grow on me.

This Faber edition is the one I have. Some Faber bindings have a tendency to shed their pages like autumn leaves (my first Faber copy of The White Goddess: A Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth dismantled itself with alarming rapidity) but this edition seems to be sound enough. It is an attractive volume with a cover illustration wood engraving and chapter heading vignettes by Thomas Bewick (see 1800 Woodcuts by Thomas Bewick and His School (Dover Pictorial Archive Series)), nice clear type and a good index. The double-page map at the front is also admirably clear. It is the edition i would buy for choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for family historians and anyone into self-sufficiency!, 15 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Ask the Fellows Who Cut the Hay (Paperback)
My husband read this book at the Ipswich record office and asked for a copy of it because he liked its practical/self-sufficiency information.
It's also a really excellent and readable collection of oral history, and information from local records of rural Suffolk: if you are researching ancestors from this, or any country area of the UK it's sure to add to your knowledge. I was particularly taken by the information about the van movement which was entirely new to me.
You might, of course, just want to read it for fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 24 Nov. 2011
This book was bought as a present for my grandmother who grew up in the area written about.
She loves it, and it is beautifully decorated throughout with prints from the local area. Like other books by the same author that she has read, it is full of tales from times gone by, told by the local people themselves and recorded by the author in a thoroughly readable way.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting story, 9 Aug. 2011
Peasant (Deepest England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ask the Fellows Who Cut the Hay (Paperback)

This is the tale of rural life as told by a middle-class writer educated in the academic tradition. I was surprised to see it was published as late as 1956; it had a flavour of the pre-war years, both in style and in content. I enjoyed far more, and was in fact rivetted by, Ronald Blythe's Akenfield, also set in Suffolk and published only 13 years later - which I have read several times and which continues to grow on me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming book, 18 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Ask the Fellows Who Cut the Hay (Paperback)
This a charming book well written and presented. It was despatched promptly and was received soon afterwards. It would make a nice present

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the rural classics, 29 Nov. 2013
Peter Wenban (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This excellently produced book of writings by one of the finest observers of rural life is always a great delight to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Talk to me, 14 April 2015
Susan J. Webber (Grafton, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ask the Fellows Who Cut the Hay (Paperback)
Lost world. A valuable collection of oral history about farming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Ask the Fellows Who Cut the Hay (Paperback)
Bought this for a friend who absolutely loved it...

4.0 out of 5 stars Fair condition, 14 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Ask the Fellows Who Cut the Hay (Paperback)
The book arrived late because of the pre-Christmas snow/postal service problems but it would be unfair to judge in these exceptional circumstances.

Ask the Fellows Who Cut the Hay
Ask the Fellows Who Cut the Hay by George Ewart Evans (Paperback - 29 May 1975)